Do you crave for pesto sauce during pregnancy? Do you want to follow a diet that is not only healthy, but one that also satisfies your pregnancy cravings? If this sounds like you, why don’t you consider adding pesto sauce in your diet. It can help satisfy your craving and fulfill your nutritional needs at the same time. But, is it safe to eat pesto during pregnancy? Well, read on and find out below.
What Is Pesto?
Pesto is popular as an Italian sauce originating from Genoa in Liguria, northern Italy. Typically, pesto comprises of basil, garlic, European pine nuts, cheese, and olive oil. People consider the sauce as a wholesome meal since it includes lots of ingredients. All these ingredients are good for a healthy pregnancy (1).
Is It Safe To Consume Pesto During Pregnancy?
Well, yes! It is safe to consume pesto when pregnant. However, ensure that you don’t overdo it. We understand that the tasty sauce is quite tempting, but an overdose can lead to complications for you and your baby. As every pregnancy is different, you should consult your doctor before eating pesto while pregnant.
If you are making the sauce at home, ensure that you wash the basil leaves thoroughly, as they might carry bacteria. The garlic and basil in pesto give it medicinal properties and make it easy for you to enjoy the sauce during pregnancy (2).
[ Read: Basil During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Pesto During Pregnancy:
1. Cures Stomach Upsets:
Basil is a major ingredient of pesto. Basil is what lends the sauce its fragrance. Basil treats stomach upsets and is a herbal remedy. Basil also provides rich amounts of minerals and vitamins that include iron, beta-carotene, vitamin A, and vitamin K. Also, the presence of basil in the pesto ensures that the sauce has a high nutritional density and low cholesterol (3).
2. Provides Appropriate Proteins:
Pesto contains pine nuts that are rich in proteins. Proteins regulate your appetite during pregnancy and keep you full. Eating proteins ensure that you follow a proper diet and don’t gain excess weight. Also, proteins help you burn fat and replace it with muscle mass. Proteins ensure good growth and development of the fetus as well as you enjoy a healthy pregnancy. Pine nuts are also an excellent source of essential fatty acids that you need during pregnancy (4).
[ Read: Garlic During Pregnancy ]
3. Low In Calories:
Even though pesto is rich in nutrients and vitamins, the sauce is considerably low in calories. The low-calorie content of pesto regulates your weight and prevents obesity during pregnancy (5).
4. Strengthens Bones And Joints:
You need to have healthy and strong bones and joints during pregnancy. Pine nuts in the pesto are a good source of vitamin D, which aids in strengthening your bones and joints during pregnancy. Also, pine nuts are rich in vitamin C, which boosts your energy levels and makes you immune to several infections during pregnancy. Vitamin A in the pine nuts helps enhance vision and skin quality during pregnancy (6).
5. Provides Monounsaturated Fats:
Pesto comprises olive oil, which is rich in monounsaturated fats. Monounsaturated fats are good for your heart. Eating pesto during pregnancy helps enhance your cardiovascular health, increase arterial wall strength, and clear the arteries. Also, the sauce regulates your blood glucose levels. Olive oil also lowers bad (LDL) cholesterol levels and increases good (HDL) cholesterol levels (7).
[ Read: Olive Oil During Pregnancy ]
So, enjoy the health benefits of pesto in pregnancy. But, make sure you don’t eat an excess of pesto sauce during pregnancy. Did you enjoy eating pesto while expecting? How did you benefit from it? Do you have any pregnancy-safe recipes? Tell us here.
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy – A Healthy Daily Diet Chart
- Is It Safe To Eat Pepperoni While You Are Pregnant?
- Is It Safe To Eat Jalapenos During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Celery During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016