Is your teen not interested in physical activities or exercising? Is your teen bored with his regular workout and wants to try something new? Well, if you can relate your teen to the above situations reading this post may be of help.
All teenagers these days are social media addicts and gadget enthusiasts. They love to spend long hours in front of their laptops, tablets or smartphones playing virtual games instead of playing a sport on the field! Do you plan to introduce your teen to some physical activities that will help him stay healthy? Well, then try Pilates! It can help your young adolescent become physically fit, mentally alert and socially confident! Want to know more about Pilates? Read On!
What Is Pilates For Teens?
Pilates for teenagers is a workout that helps improve strength, endurance, flexibility and coordination without increasing muscle bulk. Pilates is the brainchild of Joseph H. Pilates (1)
Why Is Teen Pilates Good For Adolescents?
Here are a few reasons why your teen should practice Pilates on a regular basis: (2)
- Pilates will improve your teen’s core strength.
- It will help your teen become flexible.
- The workout helps correct your teen’s posture.
- The exercise will help your child rule out any potential back problems.
- Pilates will help improve your teen’s awareness of his body and make him more confident.
[ Read: Fitness Tips For Teenagers ]
Pilates Steps For Beginners:
Here are a few basic Pilates exercises for children. However, ensure your teen does these under the supervision of a trained and certified professional.
- Pelvic Tilt:
- Lie down on your back.
- Inhale and tip the tailbone toward the floor.
- Exhale and tip the tailbone toward the ceiling. Do this last step while pulling the navel toward the spine.
[ Read: The Importance Of Exercise For Teenagers ]
- Ab Prep:
- Lie down on your back and inhale.
- Exhale in such a way that the head, shoulder, and shoulder blades move in an upward direction. Do this last step in such a way that the lower back does not press into the mat.
- Inhale and hold the position.
- Exhale and lower yourself on the mat.
[ Read: Weight Loss Exercises For Teens ]
Things To Remember:
If your teen is not a fitness enthusiast, here are a few tips that may come in handy while initiating him into Pilates:
- Keep it fun and interesting for your teen. Try and help him focus and enjoy the activity. If you feel he is losing interest, you can look for classes that combine Pilates with more popular activities like swimming and aerobics.
- Your teen may lack in stamina and find it difficult in the beginning to perform all the steps. Encourage him to keep trying and not give up yet.
- Before you enroll your teen in a Pilates class, make sure it is run by trained professionals.
- A thorough checkup of your teen’s overall health and fitness is essential before you enroll him in a Pilates class. Schedule an appointment with your doctor for his full body checkup to prevent any health complications later.
- Your teen should wear comfortable clothes so that he can easily perform the various stretching exercises.
- Your teen should perform his Pilates steps slowly and rhythmically and not as sudden and jerky movements. Doing so will help prevent injuries.
- Your teen should immediately stop in case he experiences pain or discomfort.
Once your teen starts enjoying Pilates, he will see an improvement in his stamina and general fitness levels. Make sure you take care of your teen’s nutrition and eating habits to match his workout needs.We hope you liked this article on pilates for teens.
Has your teen enrolled in a Pilates class? How did it help your teen? Share your experiences here with other moms.
- 7 Incredible Benefits Of Regular Exercises For Teens
- Top 15 Benefits Of Yoga For Your Teenager
- 5 Amazing Meditation Techniques For Teens
- 3 Physical Activities For Improve Your Teen’s Health