Do you experience itchiness around the vaginal area? Does the discomfort bother you more during the night? Are you unable to sleep comfortably because of the same? Are you worried how it would affect the foetus inside you?
If you said yes, you are probably suffering from a pinworm infection during pregnancy. Consult a doctor for immediate assistance. Before you do that, read our post and learn all about pinworms while pregnant and how they affect.
What Are Pinworms?
Pinworms are parasitic worms that live in the large intestine. While you are sleeping, the female pinworms move from the anal to the vaginal area and lay eggs that result in itching (1).
Causes Of Pinworm Infection During Pregnancy:
Poor hygiene is one of the major reasons of a pinworm infection. It occurs when an infected person scratches her private parts and fails to wash her hands. If you share any of the items below, you might be at a higher risk of getting infected:
- Bed sheets
[ Read: Tapeworm Infection During Pregnancy ]
Symptoms Of Pinworm Infection During Pregnancy:
Here are a few most prominent symptoms of pinworms in pregnancy.
- Itching in the vaginal area, which is intense during the night.
- Presence of pinworm in stool
- Disturbed sleep
- Abdominal pain
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
[ Read: Symptoms Of Nausea During Pregnancy ]
Treatment For Pinworm Infection:
Doctors advise pyrantel pamoate, mebendazole, and albendazole for pinworm infection. All three medicines are prescribed in two dosages. The second dose is given two weeks after the first dose. The second dose curbs the reoccurrence of these worms. It is advisable that all the members of the family take these medicines so that there is little chance of reoccurrence. These medicines are safe for expecting mothers. However, it is best to consult your gynecologist before you begin pinworm treatment during pregnancy (2).
[ Read: Common Infections During Pregnancy ]
Does Pinworm Infection Affect Pregnancy?
No! The pinworm infection does not cause any harm to the fetus. Doctors usually avoid offering any medication and ask expecting moms to follow a strict cleanliness regime. It is only in worst case scenarios that the medication is prescribed. Expecting mothers need to take the following precautions:
- Maintain cleanliness by washing bed sheets, towels, and napkins regularly.
- Ensure that you cut your nails regularly.
- Wash hands multiple times in a day.
- Keep the anal area clean.
- Avoid using public bathrooms.
- Stop scratching your anal area.
- Wash all clothes with hot water.
- Wear close-fitting underwear and change it at least twice a day
- Avoid eating in bedrooms.
- Ensure that you keep your toothbrush in a closed cupboard and clean it before every use.
- Regularly vacuum your house especially the bedroom.
Pinworms die after six weeks of strict hygiene. However, if this does not happen, then the doctor may put you on medications. The treatment for pinworms kills the adult cells, but it cannot kill the eggs of the parasite. Hence, it is advisable that you follow a hygienic routine and ensure that you avoid swallowing new eggs (3).
Every pregnancy is unique. Consult a doctor before you start, stop or change any medications. Keep a track of all the medications during pregnancy.
Motherhood is a beautiful journey, which starts with pregnancy and continues till eternity. Unfortunately, a few of us face small issues during pregnancy. So if you were infected with pinworms during pregnancy, tell us what you did about it? How did you overcome the situation? What medications did the doctor prescribe you? Share your experiences and tips with us here. Fellow mommies would love to hear from you. Leave your comment below.
- 7 Serious Causes Of Bladder Infections During Pregnancy
- 5 Symptoms Of E-Coli Infection & 3 Simple Tips To Cure It During Pregnancy
- What Is Bacterial Infection And What Are Its Effects On/During Pregnancy?
- Kidney Infection During Pregnancy – 7 Causes & 2 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Is It Safe To Take Dandelion Tea During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Can You Eat Banana While Breastfeeding? - November 3, 2015
- How To Set Boundaries For Teenagers? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp When Breastfeeding? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Drink Chrysanthemum Tea During Pregnancy? - October 29, 2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Complications - October 27, 2015
- The Christmas Story For Kids - Birth Of Jesus Christ - October 25, 2015