Looking back to the most memorable parts of our childhood can bring up images of makeshift tents in the middle of the living room that served as a sacred playtime space. Children love the idea of tents, and the best play tents for kids come with a lot of fun features that will pique their excitement even more.
If your little one enjoys setting up a makeshift fort with blankets and pillows and controlling who gets to enter, they are bound to enjoy a proper play tent. Choose the right one for them with this list of play tent options that are ideal for children.
Our Top Picks
Top 13 Play Tents For Children To Buy
Play tents come in various shapes, sizes, and colors. They may be functional or plain simple. Here are some that your child may want to play in.
1. Best With Realistic Camping Gear: Kaqinu Play Tent With Camping Set
This interesting tent comes with camping gear tools for children to get adventurous with their playtime activities.
- Comes with various tools
- Made of non-toxic, BPA-free plastic material
- Toy oil lamp and burner with realistic effects
- Includes functional accessories, such as binocular, watch, compass, and cooking pan
- Easy to set up and store away
- Some may find the material flimsy
- May not hold up for long
2. Best Foldable: Kiddey Ball Pit Play Tent
This play tent can be used as a ball pit for children.
- Available in two variants
- Features two large, airy mesh fabric windows
- Transparent windows for easy access to parents for supervision
- Wire frame construction adds durability
- Easy to fold and comes with a zippered carry bag
- May topple when the child leans on the sides
- Does not include balls
3. Best Easy-To-Clean: Kiddey Ball Pit Tent
This tent can also double up as a ball pit for your child to play.
- Available as a single pack and with 200 crush-proof balls
- Made of durable fabric that is easy to clean
- Features six sides with plenty of room
- Features six large mesh windows and fabric doors that roll up and down
- May not be suitable for outdoors
- Velcro door may not be durable
4. Best For Ample Ventilation: Pacific Play tent
Here’s a pretty pink tent for your little girl to relax, read storybooks, or just laze around.
- Made of 190T polyester taffeta for durability
- Offers ample ventilation
- Offers adequate support with extra-strong poles
- Can be used on floor and fitted to a bed with the outer-skirt
- Flame-retardant sidewalls
- May take some time to assemble
5. Best With Waterproof Base: Tazztoys Teepee Tent
- Made of 100% natural cotton
- Comes with sturdy pinewood poles
- Free of harmful chemicals
- Smoothened poles with no splinters
- Has two pockets on the inside for storage space
- Compact and easy to dismantle
- May not be suitable for active toddlers
- Might be hard to keep in place
6. Best For Three Children: USA Toyz Rocket Ship Play Tent
This rocket shaped play tent is ideal for children who are aspiring astronauts.
- Rocket-themed tent with breathable mesh windows
- Can accommodate three children with ease
- Can be used both outdoors and indoors
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a portable projector for added fun
- May not be easy to assemble
- May not be very sturdy
7. Best For Easy Assembling: Kiddey Knight’s Castle Tent
It is an ideal play tent for boys who want the vibe of a knight’s castle during their playtime.
- Easy-to-assemble poles and secure ground stakes
- Comes with a sword and shield made of synthetic material
- Includes mesh windows and easy-to-open-and-close door flap
- Made of high-quality polyester fabric
- Lightweight, foldable, and portable
- May not be suitable for rough play
- Poles may not be durable
8. Best Tent With Colorful Illustrations: Impirilux Rocketship Play Tent House
A play tent that resembles an actual rocket? Oh, yes! Children would love playing in it.
- Vibrant tent with detailed illustrations
- Beautiful space drawing on the roof
- Made of non-toxic and water-resistant polyester fabric
- Comes with sturdy fiberglass rods
- Has two large mesh windows for ventilation
- May not be sturdy enough
- May not be large enough for two children
9. Best Glow-In-The-Dark Tent: Suesport Castle Play Tent
It is a glow-in-the-dark play tent for children to have lots of fun during their sleepovers with their buddies.
- Available in two color variants that glow in the dark
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Comes with sturdy poles for easy assembly
- Features perforated, see-through windows
- Can be put under sunlight for light absorption to glow in the dark
- Not water-resistant
- May not be easy to clean
10. Best For Indoor And Outdoor Use: Alvantor Kids Tents
This vibrant multi-colored tent is designed for little children to play and learn.
- Lightweight and portable with mesh top
- Features a tunnel door that can be connected to compatible tents
- Can be used both outdoors and indoors
- Easy to set up
- Poles may be prone to cracks over time
- May be smaller than you expect
11. Best Customizable: Little Dove Teepee Play Tent
This cute play tent can be customized in any way your child wants since it includes a floor mat, feathers, lights, and many other exciting accessories.
- Made of 100% natural, unpainted, non-toxic cotton canvas
- Can be painted and doodled on
- Can be steam-ironed to remove wrinkles
- Sturdy pinewood poles
- Has a front roll-on door that can be pulled up and down
- Features two inner pockets
- Assembly instructions may be confusing
- May go out of shape after extended use
12. Best For Young Girls: Monobeach Princess Tent
It is a big princessy tent for your little girl and her entire girl-gang.
- Made of high-quality, easy-to-clean taffeta polyester material
- Can accommodate three children and can be used outdoors
- Includes poles, starlights, and connectors
- PVC rods for extra strength
- Stain-resistant material
- Some may find the star lights too pointy for little children
- May take time to assemble
13. Best Foldable And Compact: K-F Toyjoy Play Tent
This clubhouse-style play tent is ideal for outdoor adventures with your little child.
- Resembles an outdoor clubhouse
- Made of premium fabric with high-quality seams
- Rip- and tear-resistant material
- Includes a roll-up door for easy access
- Foldable, compact, and easy to carry around
- Some may find it small
- Plastic poles may not be durable
How To Choose The Right Play Tents For Kids?
Here are a few things to consider before choosing a play tent for your child.
- Safety: Consider checking the material used for the play tent. It should be child-safe, non-toxic, and BPA-free. Also, the assembly must be sturdy and it must not collapse in the middle of the play.
- Size: Check the dimensions of the product to find the right play tent. Consider your child’s age and height, the space available, the number of people the tent can accommodate, etc., to find a tent that meets your requirements.
- Age: Read the age recommendations of the play tent to find the right one for your child. While a small tent may work well for a younger child, older children may need one with more space and features.
- Theme and design: Consider your child’s interests and preferences when choosing a theme and design. You can choose among a ball pit, space, castle, camping, and other styles for an immersive experience. Also, pick a color that is reflective and bright enough to avoid heat absorption if you want to use it outdoors.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Kids love playing inside their tents. However, finding the best playing tent can be a cumbersome task. To help you have a seamless shopping experience, we have curated this list of best playing tents for kids. We have analyzed product descriptions and evaluated numerous customer reviews to bring you this comprehensive list of playing tents. These tents are available in various designs and are made of durable material for long-lasting use.
Encourage pretend play and independent play in your children by gifting them play tents. These tents come in various styles and patterns, including houses, castles, and rocket ships, and help improve children’s motor skills and boost their creativity. Of course, you could also bring home a simple play tent and let your child’s imagination take wings as they decorate the tent in any way they like. Regardless of which tent you choose, ensure that it is made of safe and easy-to-clean materials free of harmful chemicals.
- Best Ball Pits for Kids:
- Best play Kitchens for Kids:
- Best Play Yards for Kids:
- Best Play Mats for Kids:
View Profile ›