Pregnancy can be quite rough on your body, and you might wonder about what aftercare measures you need to look for. So, we have created a list of the best post-pregnancy girdles to help you out. These girdles help support your belly by keeping it tucked in, along with your buttocks and hips. They are comfortable and give your body a shapely look without compressing your internal organs. Available in various sizes and designs, you can choose one that suits your needs. So, read on to make an informed decision.
Our Top Picks
Types of Postpartum Girdles
The following are the different types of postpartum girdles.
- Wraps: These cover your midsection completely, from the lower part of the rib cage to your hips. They are great options for those looking primarily for comfort.
- Belts: If you require a girdle that’s discrete, this is just right. The fabric is thin and provides a good fit, sitting seamlessly under most outfits.
- Bands: Belly bands are sometimes designed with two or more belts that are adjustable, allowing you to customize the fit and compression.
9 Best Post-Pregnancy Girdles To Buy
1. Best For C-Section Moms: MoolidaPostpartum Belly Wrap C-Section Recovery Belt
Looking for a belly wrap specially designed for C-section mommies? This binder might just be what you are looking for.
- Made of lightweight, stretchable, and comfortable medical-grade cotton
- Helps shrink the tummy, waist, and hips.
- Prevents sagging and helps support postnatal recovery
- Built-in soft steel bones at the back
- Provide back support to prevent lower back pain and strengthen core muscles
- Double-adjustment velcro and mesh fabric make it easy to tighten or loosen the binder
- May role and fold over
- May not be wide enough for some
2. Best For Toned Waist Control: BRABIC Postpartum Girdle High Waist Control Panties For Women
Your last pregnancy must have made your belly and buttocks sag. You can consider taking a look at this girdle that can help tone your buttocks and abdomen.
- Soft, seamless material does not dig into skin
- Comes with two rows of hooks at the front, and three rows of hooks at the crotch to facilitate easy bathroom use
- Steel bones in the waist provide back support
- Rubber band prevents binder from slipping, bundling, or rolling down
- Reduces swelling, alleviates wound pain, and promotes incision healing in C-section mothers
- High waist seamless underwear lifts hips to make buttocks firmer
- May not suit those who underwent a tummy-tuck surgery
- Wires may poke you if you have a smaller torso
3. Best For Reducing Belly Fat: Gepoetry Postpartum Support – Recovery Belly Wrap Girdle Support Band
This is a three-in-one belly wrap set that comes with three belts: belly belt, waist belt, and pelvis belt. You can wear the belts together or one at a time to suit your needs.
- Belly belt helps reduce belly fat, prevents sagging, and gives additional support when breastfeeding
- Waist belt flattens the belly and relieves back pain
- Pelvis belt supports easy contraction of pelvis
- Suitable for both C-section and natural delivery moms
- May not suit those with a tummy tuck
- May feel itchy sometimes
4. Best For Postpartum Use: Gepoetry Postpartum Girdle C-Section Recovery Belt Back Support Belly Wrap
This hook-and-loop closure belly wrap comes with not one, but two belts for that perfect fit. Its super soft cotton body makes it ideal for postpartum use.
- Breathable material easily absorbs sweat
- Stretchable body and three closures enable better adjustment
- Back curve design, additional adjustable band, and steel ribs provide better support
- Reduces sagging of inner organs
- Velcro may not last long
- Instructions may be vague
5. Best With Perfect Fit: Venuzor Waist Trainer Belt For Women
Trainer belts can be worn while working out as it gives better support to the body. You can now get in shape as soon as possible.
- Stretchable material and double-adjustment hook-and-loop enable easy adjustment
- Breathable mesh backing makes wearing the belt comfortable
- Built-in boning strips give full support to the lower back
- Compresses belly flab and love handles
- Spandex belt provides extra cinching
- May not be long enough for full abdominal coverage
- May be narrow for some
6. Best With Reinforced Seams: Diane & Geordi 2396 Postpartum Girdle For Women
This girdle helps reduce belly fat and enhances the appearance of your hips and buttocks. It adjusts to your body shape and gives you a perfect hourglass figure.
- Zipper girdle helps hide the tummy and is unnoticeable under clothes
- Comes with woven material and reinforced seams
- Butt lifter makes the waist look slim
- Suitable for C-section mothers
- Straps may dig in at times
- May apply too much pressure on the hips
7. Best For Postpartum Recovery: Brabic Seamless Postpartum Belly Band Wrap Underwear
You no longer have to be conscious about wearing that figure-hugging dress if you have this seamless belly wrap. It can be worn by new mothers or even women considering shaping up.
- Flexible bones give back support and help with tummy reduction
- Stays firm and does not lose shape or roll down
- Seamless soft cotton does not stab skin
- Helps speed up postpartum recovery
- Suitable for both natural and C-section delivery moms
- May dig into the skin for some
- May not push down a bloated stomach
8. Best Latex-Free: Belly Bandit – Viscose From Bamboo Postpartum Belly Wrap
Made of soft bamboo material, this skin-friendly belly wrap is suitable for mothers recovering from C-section surgery.
- Latex-free material helps tighten tummy, hips, and waist
- Viscose fabric ensures comfortable wear
- Flexible material relieves back pain and gives back support
- Firm wrap provides better posture during breastfeeding
- Some may find the belt to be stiff
- May not suit women with a larger waist
9. Best For Sensitive Skin: Bellefit Dual-Closure Postpartum Girdle
Consisting of front hooks and side zipper, this corset gives you a firm fit for a flattering and seamless look.
- Made of medical-grade and doctor-recommended abdominal panel
- Flexible boning ensures the girdle does not roll down
- Helps tighten abdomen muscles to facilitate speedy recovery
- Made of micro porous, hypoallergenic, and breathable fabric
- Suitable for sensitive skin
- Adjustable flap at the crotch
- May have sizing issues
- Plastic on the sides may dig into the skin
How To Choose The Right Pregnancy Girdle?
Picking the right girdle is crucial to making post-delivery life more seamless. Here’s the list of factors to consider.
- Ease of use: Since the whole point of a girdle is to make life easier for new mothers, make sure to buy one that’s easy to use and maintain.
- Comfort: Look for bands or wraps made of soft, stretchable fabrics such as nylon and viscose, which will keep you nice and comfy even after wearing them for hours each day.
- Design: Some bands are thin and discrete, while others are bulky and functional. The decision depends on your wardrobe and the level of discretion you would need.
What Is The Use Of A Post-Pregnancy Girdle?
Abdominal wrapping is not a new concept. For centuries, women have been trying and testing it. It has proven to be quite effective. When a woman holds a growing baby in her womb, the uterus expands, and so does the abdomen. This results in fat cells accumulating around the belly area. This fat does not disappear after the baby is delivered, and instead, hangs loosely around the abdomen.
Abdominal wraps have undergone several transformations over the years. Call it a waist cincher, abdominal binder, belly wrap, or a corset, it helps in reducing tummy fat. A post-pregnancy girdle is a type of abdominal wrap that helps tighten the flab and get the belly and uterus back to their original size. For women who have had a cesarean delivery, the corset can help in keeping the incision intact.
Benefits Of Wearing A Post-Pregnancy Girdle
A post-pregnancy girdle offers multiple benefits.
- It helps reduce fat and enhance posture.
- It offers back support, especially when all that excess abdomen fat puts pressure on the spine.
- It tones the belly and thigh muscles.
- It assists in tummy reduction and body shaping.
- It helps with post C-section recovery.
Drawbacks Of Post-Pregnancy Girdles
Anything done in excess proves harmful, and wearing a girdle is no exception. Although it offers a lot of benefits, its harmful effects cannot be ignored. Several healthcare providers state that wearing girdles may affect the digestive system. It may weaken the back muscles and the bladder, and cause clotting and low blood pressure. It is thus advisable to check with your obstetrician before investing in a girdle.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Our trusted team of writers and reviewers bring you this post keeping in mind the needs of nursing mothers and their little ones. We have compiled this list of the best post-pregnancy girdles after extensive research. The girdles listed here are made of lightweight, breathable, and stretchable materials and are designed to provide you utmost comfort. Moreover, we also tell you the benefits and drawbacks of wearing post-pregnancy girdles.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can I start wearing a postpartum girdle?
You may start wearing a postpartum girdle right from the first week of delivery if you experience no complications.
2. How long should I wear a postpartum girdle each day?
If you have received the green light from your doctor, you can wear a belly band for ten to 12 hours every day for up to eight weeks.
Since pregnancy can be quite tough on the body, post-pregnancy aftercare should be a priority. The best girdles help wrap the abdomen and keep your tummy tucked in while reducing fat and enhancing posture. However, not all girdles are recommended for women in the post-pregnancy phase, so always consult your obstetrician before wearing one. Kay Lakka, founder of London therapy and a doula and hypnobirthing teacher, suggests, “When picking one, ensure it is made of medical-grade and hypoallergenic materials and is easy to clean. Also, pick one with reinforced seams and ensure the material does not dig into the skin.”