Your newborn baby will have limited activities during the first few months, of which, passing urine and stool will be high on the list. She will wet her bed frequently and you have to make all the arrangements to ensure that she stays comfortable and dry.
One option that many mothers use these days is disposable diapers. But is it safe to use diaper for newborn baby and how to use them correctly?
Is Diaper Safe For Baby And When To Use Diapers?
Are diapers safe for babies? This is one question that every mother would want to know. Well, diapers are said to be safe for babies who are barely even a day old. In fact, some diapers are specially made for newborn babies. But you must take some precautions:
- Watch your baby’s skin when changing diapers to check whether there are rashes or not. Some little ones have more sensitive skin than others.
- Disposable diapers, which soak more liquid, should preferably be used at night, when it is inconvenient to change them frequently. During the day, you can stick with other options.
- It is important to change diapers every two to three hours. Keeping the baby longer than this period with a used diaper can cause infections or rashes.
- When the baby passes stool, then it is a must to change the diaper immediately to maintain hygiene.
- Keeping diapers handy for journeys or outings will make life easier for you.
[ Read: Baby Skin Care ]
Diaper vs. Cloth Nappy:
There are many people who would prefer a cloth nappy over a disposable diaper. There are many reasons for this:
- Cloth has been used by mothers since centuries, whereas diapers are a rather recent innovation.
- There are many cloth diapers available in the market now which are easy to handle.
- Cloth nappies or diapers can be washed and reused. Hence, they are much more economic than disposable ones.
- Some parents are doubtful about the chemicals that are used to make diapers and are afraid that they might cause problems.
- Cloth nappies have to be changed frequently. This ensures that the baby is not lying in her excreta.
- Many people are also of the view that diapers play a role in delaying potty training, since kids are so habituated to wearing diapers.
While all these points are valid to some extent, there are thousands of diaper users who have had no problem. So it is completely up to you which option you want to use.
[ Read: Baby Care ]
Materials Which Go In Diapers:
While it is fine to put diapers on your baby, it is important to know what they are made of:
- Sodium Polyacrylate:
This is a polymer that is used in the core of a diaper and acts as the main absorbent. It was used some decades back in tampons and caused toxic shock syndrome in women. But in diapers, it can be said to be safe enough as it is externally placed and is covered by layers of other material to prevent direct contact with the baby’s skin. However, it is the acrylic acid that is sometimes mixed with Sodium Polyacrylate which can cause irritation in some kids.
Though most dyes are natural and safe for the skin, in certain cases, they have been blamed for causing rashes.
- Volatile Organic Compounds:
Some diapers may emit compounds like toluene and xylene. These can cause irritation.
These are chemicals that are produced when wood pulp, which is used for making diapers, is bleached with chlorine. Some residue of dioxin may be left on the diapers, but it is considered too less to be harmful for the child. In fact, dioxins which can cause cancer are more frequently found in the environment.
Now that you know what diapers have in them, you can make a wise decision on whether to use them or not.
An allegation against diapers is that they are in direct contact with the skin for a long time and generate heat. An easy way to avoid this problem is by changing diapers frequently. Choose the diaper carefully and you can also go for ones which are eco-friendly.
Hope by now you have decided is diaper safe for baby or not. Do share us your baby’s diaper stories in the comment section below.
- How To Massage Your Baby?
- Top 10 Oils That Are Good For Baby Skin
- 5 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Heat Rash In Babies
- 7 Most Helpful Tips To Keep Your Baby’s Skin Healthy
Latest posts by needhi gandhi (see all)
- 10 Best John Deere Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - November 19, 2014
- 4 Stages of Intellectual Development In Children - November 5, 2014
- Top 25 Cowboy Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 13, 2014
- Top 25 'Nightmare Before Christmas' Coloring Pages for Your Little Ones - October 8, 2014
- Top 25 Moshi Monsters Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 8, 2014
- 10 Best Chameleon Coloring Pages For Your Toddler - October 8, 2014
- Top 10 Farm Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Color - October 7, 2014
- Top 10 Letter ‘X’ Coloring Pages Your Toddler Will Love To Learn & Color - October 7, 2014
- Top 25 Power Rangers Megaforce Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 6, 2014
- 10 Best Winx Club Coloring Pages For Your Little Ones - October 1, 2014