Pregnancy is a beautiful and unforgettable time in a woman’s life, but it can also be physically challenging. So, here’s our list of the best pregnancy pillows to help you relax and relieve stress and pain. As your body weight increases, you feel more strain on your legs, hip, back, feet, and more, making it difficult to move and sleep. Comfortable sleep is essential throughout pregnancy, and expecting moms require more support than a conventional body pillow can provide. As a result, a pregnancy pillow is a must-have. Pregnancy pillows provide optimal comfort to help you sleep on your sides safely. They support the head, neck, shoulder, back, belly, tailbone, hips, and knees to relieve discomfort and aches.
Available in different shapes and sizes, choosing the right one may be challenging. So, read on to learn more about the tried-and-tested products listed here to find one that suits your needs.
11 Best Pregnancy Pillows To Buy In 2024
1. Best Extension Leg Pregnancy Pillow: PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow
The PharMeDoc pillow supports pregnant women at different pressure points, including the hips, knees, neck, back, and belly. The soft cotton material provides 100% comfort, and an exclusive extension leg helps the expectant mother adjust the pillow according to the sleeping pattern.
The pillow measures 53in long and 31in wide to suit people of different heights. The pillow can be used by anyone suffering from sciatica, gastric reflux, and fibromyalgia. It comes with a travel-friendly case making it easy to carry around or put it in the car’s trunk. It has also gone through rigorous testing to ensure utmost comfort and efficiency.
The zippered outer cover of this supportive maternity bedding is removable and machine-washable. The tester’s experience in this review video will help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
- Can be used to target different pain points
- Can be used while sitting at a dining table
- Lifetime manufacturer warranty available
- Protects cervical spine
- May emit a strange odor
- Some may find the pillow to be slightly small
"This pillow is super soft and aids in a restful sleep by offering necessary back support. Although it doesn't fluff much, and the zipper feels slightly flimsy, the coziness is unparalleled. Also, its ability to wrap perfectly around the body largely outweighs any qualms encountered."
2. Best C-Shaped: Leachco Snoogle Original Maternity/Pregnancy Total Body Pillow
A large C-shaped pregnancy pillow, Leachco’s Snoogle is the best posture companion for an expecting mother. As per reviews, the pillow’s C-shaped design doesn’t occupy much space on a queen-sized bed and offers a snuggly effect at multiple points, including the hip, head, shoulder, back, and belly. You can expect a sound sleep with this pillow made of cotton-polyester material.
You can also use this pregnancy sleep solution while reading, eating, or watching television. Plus, the machine-washable and sham-style removable cover offers ease of cleaning.
- Patented design
- Lasts long despite repeated use
- Offers a snuggly fit for its users
- Original snoogle model pillow
- Material may be slightly scratchy
- Pillow may get indented easily
"This pillow worked well for me during pregnancy. Although there was an unusual smell initially, it faded in a few days. It fits me perfectly and continues to remain fluffy."
3. Best Travel-Friendly: Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge for Maternity
Hiccapop pillows are small and almost look like a semi-circle and support the belly, shoulder, back, and knees. The performance pillow is made with certiPUR-US-certified foam and is free from harsh chemicals, such as formaldehyde, mercury, lead, and PBDEs.
Whether you want to snuggle on the couch or bed, you need not worry about carrying or inflating it. The pillow is a perfect companion for any mom-to-be who wants relief from the pains of pregnancy and needs to sleep undisturbed. This pillow offers a lot of space for your partner, kid, or pet to snuggle. Check out a tester’s experience in this video for a detailed review of this pregnancy pillow.
- Alleviates leg numbness and pain
- Made from machine-washable plush velboa cover and memory foam
- Suitable for all three trimesters
- Airflow ventilation technology keeps the pillow cool and breathable
- Some may find the pillow to be narrow
- Cushioning may not be soft enough
"This supportive and portable pillow helped alleviate my back pain during the final months of my pregnancy. While on the firmer side, it offers enhanced comfort. It's a must-have for side-sleepers. I just wish I had it sooner!"
PharMeDoc Pregnancy Pillow
Best Extension Leg Pregnancy Pillow
Leachco Snoogle Original Maternity/Pregnancy Total Body Pillow
Hiccapop Pregnancy Pillow Wedge for Maternity
|53 x 31 x 7 inches
|60 x 24.75 x 7.25 inches
|13.25 x 15 x 4.5 inches
4. Best For Nursing Moms: AngQi Pregnancy Pillow with Jersey Cover
The U-shaped pregnancy pillow from AngQi is made of comfortable cotton fabric and offers support from head to toe, supporting your back, hips, knees, neck, and head. An expecting mother can sit upright on the bed, read a book, watch television or, work on a laptop with this pillow as support.
The cushioning and support ensure better sleep, and the pillow offers good comfort to a nursing mother while breastfeeding. It can help people suffering from backache, knee pain, and fibromyalgia. The adjustable pillow provides comfortable pregnancy support and offers enough space for you and your partner to snuggle.
- Suitable for king size bed
- Doubles as a nursing pillow
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Made from ultra-soft cooling jersey fabric
- Cover may be scratchy
- May require more effort to fluff up after removing it from vacuum-sealed cover
"This pillow does enhance sleep quality during pregnancy. Even when I roll onto my back, the support it provides is impressive. Although I wish it supported my feet, the jersey fabric and its dual-sided design more than make up for it. It also helps with post-surgery recovery."
5. Best Adjustable: Boppy Side Sleeper Pregnancy Pillow
The best part of the Boppy pillow is that you can shrink or expand according to the size of the baby bump. A pregnant person can comfortably fit in the middle slot and enjoy the supports at the back and the front while sleeping in the physician-recommended side sleeping position.
Unlike other C and U-shaped pregnancy pillows, the Boppy pillow occupies a little space on a queen-sized bed. The material of this sleep aid for pregnant women is durable and easy to maintain. The easy-to-remove pillow cover can be machine-washed.
- Supports tailbone and hips
- Offers a good base for the tummy
- Stay-put design reduces the need to rearrange
- May be too squishy for the back
- May lose its fluffiness quickly
"I often travel, and this pillow has removed the hassle of carrying the usual full-size pillows. Although a touch lumpy, it's comfortable. I used it during my pregnancy, and its compact size provided ample support without overtaking the bed."
6. Best Machine-Washable: Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillows
Are you looking for a full-body pregnancy pillow? Then, the Chilling Home pillow is ideal for you. The pillow measures 55in long and 26in wide and comfortably fits any size. You can either keep the pillow horizontally or vertically to suit your convenience.
The height of the pillow is adjustable, and its filling can be reduced or increased. The pregnancy-safe pillow is soft and comfortable, helping the mother to sleep undisturbed. It comes with two-sided zips to easily remove the outer cotton cover.
Besides offering cozy support for the neck and head, the relaxing body pillow alleviates pain and pressure in the tailbone, hips, and knees. The pillow improves sleeping posture and offers adequate comfort.
- Suitable for people suffering from sciatica
- C-shaped design supports breastfeeding mothers
- Machine-washable outer cotton cover.
- Can help align hips for neutral joint positioning
- Some may find the pillow to be thin
- May have a chemical smell
"I was surprised by the pillow's softness and how it molded to my body. It provides back support and is roomy enough for co-sleeping and breastfeeding. And I love that it comes with a washable cover."
7. Best For Back Pain: Full Body Maternity Pregnancy Pillow
The C-shaped full-size pregnancy pillow from Restorology Store replaces multiple smaller pillows used for body support during pregnancy. This full-body pillow’s unique shape offers support to the head area, shoulder, belly, and hips.
The pillow helps alleviate sciatica and lower back pain during pregnancy and can be by pregnant women for support and restful pregnancy sleep.
The pillow leaves ample room for your children or partner to share the bed. The durable pillow is easy to wash and can accommodate the growing belly.
- Zippered cover can be put in tumble dry
- Helps reduce heartburn
- Doubles as a nursing pillow
- Baby can sleep inside the pillow without worrying about accidental falls
- Internal cover may not be durable enough
- May not be very thick
"The pillow provided ample support for my back, head, and growing belly. Although the seams on the cover frayed after a few months, the comfort and heartburn relief that the pillow provided made up for that. It gets the nod of approval from this mother."
8. Best With Side Support: Aifusi Pregnancy Pillow
The Aifusi pregnancy pillow comes with exclusive side support to easily change the sleeping sides. It supports the back joints of your body and relieves nerve pain.
The pregnancy wedge pillow is stretchable and gives a varied range of 48 to 73cm. Its 36cm width makes it the right fit for the belly, and its customized height helps handle pressure whether you want to sit on the couch to watch TV or read a book.
The two connected ends are both durable. The cover is made up of polyester fabric, and the fiberfill is 3D polyester. The foldable and washable pregnancy body support pillow has a 30° slant to provide optimal comfort.
- Improves sleeping posture
- Scientifically designed to reduce pain in pelvis
- Suitable for postpartum recovery
- Saves space
- May require constant tapping to inflate
- Stuffing might require adjustment to suit the sleeping position
"I love this pillow's modest size. It provided valuable support for my neck and back during pregnancy, aiding in pain relief. The adaptable design made it the ideal companion from the first to the third trimester."
9. Best Sitting Support: Victostar Pregnancy Pillow
Victostar’s pillow supports the back, hips, knees, neck, and head. Unlike regular pillows, it offers a proper belly support system and is designed scientifically to reduce sleep interruptions while enabling multiple sleeping positions.
The tried-and-tested pillow allows the expecting and perinatal woman to read, watch, and sit for a longer duration without causing body pain. Additionally, the pillow for pregnancy comfort keeps the mother and baby in elevated and comfortable positions.
- Designed to reduce heartburn
- Machine-washable cover
- Suitable for nursing
- Made from premium material
- Surface may be hot upon usage
- May flatten in the long run
"With softness, easy maneuverability, and the convenience of a washable cover, this large and durable pillow was my best friend during pregnancy. It's comfortable without being excessively thick. My fiancée loves it too!"
10. Best Memory Foam: Bellipod Pregnancy Pillows
The BelliPod pregnancy pillow, made of 100% cotton jersey cover, can help the expecting mother sleep comfortably.
The wedge-style full-body pillow is luxuriously soft on the skin and does not cause unwanted rashes. It also promotes good air circulation and flexibility, and the outer cover of the compact pregnancy sleeping aid is machine-washable.
- Ergonomically designed
- Memory foam adjusts according to the user’s need
- Easily portable
- Offers full body support, comforting the hip and back
- May be narrow near the legs
- Padding in the pillow may not be adequate
"Despite waiting a while to purchase this, I've found it incredibly beneficial, especially as my pregnancy progressed. Although a little short, it provides relief from hip and knee pain. It's been a worthwhile purchase, helping me with my post-partum and nursing journey too."
11. Best Breathable: ByRiver 39-Inch C-Shaped Body Pillow
Sleep like a baby by snuggling into this incredibly soft and lightweight body pillow that is crafted to support your arms, belly, legs, calves, and knees, soothing discomfort and reducing pressure while resting. It comes with a soft and washable pillowcase made of a breathable fabric to keep you cool and cozy while you sleep. Thanks to the light frame of this belly support pillow, you can rest comfortably during long journeys.
- Provides elevated support
- Extends according to the belly’s size
- Helps relieve pain caused by fibromyalgia, sciatica, joint pain, and more
- Suits all stages of pregnancy
- Suits anyone experiencing body discomfort
- Can be used as a positioner and baby support pillow
- May require more filling
- Length may be too short
"I love this soft and comfortable body pillow. It's not too small or too big. It's been four months into my pregnancy, and it’s still my favorite."
Why Do One Need A Body Pillow During Pregnancy?
A pregnancy pillow eases the pressure on the veins that carry blood to the lower parts of the body, thus improving blood circulation in certain areas. Pregnancy pillows ensure better sleep, reduce backache, and pain in the legs and hips. These are specially designed to support your belly, back, and head, all at once.
Besides supporting pregnant women when they sit to read or watch TV, another benefit of a pregnancy pillow is that it enables comfortable switching of the sides when they sleep. However, you should consult a physician about the best sleeping position for you.
Kay Lakka, founder of Londontherapy and a doula and hypnobirthing teacher, says, “Anything that offers you comfort and good rest during pregnancy is a good investment. A quality pregnancy pillow can also be utilized for many years to come, not just during pregnancy.”
How To Choose The Right Pregnancy Pillow?
Pregnancy pillows come in different shapes and sizes to cater to the unique requirements of expectant mothers. To purchase the right one among the various options, consult a certified physician or healthcare professional and consider the buying tips mentioned below.
- Shape: The shape of the pillow determines a myriad of features such as flexibility, the ease at different points, and sleep quality. Choose a shape that contours the body shape. However, one should also consult a doctor before taking a final call.While U- and C-shaped pregnancy pillows offer full-body cover, the wedge-shaped and two-sided foam pillows lend support to your back and belly. If you have a king-sized bed, you might want to select a large pregnancy pillow.
- Material: The fabric determines the breathability of the pillow. A pillow with a soft, certified organic cotton cover and a polyester filling is generally preferred by many. However, you may choose the pregnancy pillow material as per the specific needs of your body.
- Foldability: Choose a maternity pillow type that can be folded and stored. A foldable pillow doesn’t take up too much space when not being used.
- Maintenance: Typically, most pregnancy pillows are machine-washable, but ensure you put the machine on a delicate cycle for a subtle wash.
- Portability: Travel-friendly pregnancy pillows are preferable as they are easy to carry. They can easily fit in the trunk of a car. Whether you are headed to work, camp, or beach, you can easily rely on portable pillows.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How should I use a pregnancy pillow?
Position the pregnancy pillow to support your belly, back, and head. If you are using a U-shaped pillow, wrap it around your body, and if you are using a C-shaped pillow, wrap it around your back.
2. Are body pillows good for pregnancy?
Body pillows are oversized pillows often used by side sleepers. However, these pillows may not provide the desired comfort that a pregnancy pillow offers.
3. Are pregnancy pillows washable?
Most pregnancy pillows can be washed on a gentle cycle with warm water. However, ensure that you do not use harsh detergents or bleach, as it may damage the pillow. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s instructions before washing a pregnancy pillow.
4. When should I start using a pregnancy pillow?
Use a pregnancy pillow whenever you feel discomfort sleeping or changing positions. Most women find it challenging to sleep at around 20 weeks when the belly is expanding.
5. Is a C-shaped pillow better than a U-shaped pregnancy pillow?
Pregnancy pillows are specially designed to contour growing curves. U-shaped pillows provide full body support when compared to C-shaped pillows. However, unlike U-shaped pillows, C-shaped pillows won’t take up much bed space.
Why Trust MomJunction?
Pregnancy brings joy and happiness, but it also brings challenges with sleeping and sitting. Hence, Vibha Navarathna, our in-house writer and product reviewer, has studied and examined various top-rated products across different platforms to compile this list of the best pregnancy pillows to help you sleep or sit comfortably without hurting your baby bump. Each product is described in detail, and Vibha has also included a pregnancy pillow guide to assist you in selecting the right pillow among various options.
The best pregnancy pillows help expecting mothers sleep more comfortably in different pregnancy sleep positions. These U- and C-shaped pillows support the neck, shoulders, back, and belly, so you don’t have to sleep through discomfort and pain night after night. Choosing the right maternity pillow involves finding the ideal shape and materials and ensuring that it can be folded compactly and maintained easily. With the softest maternity cushions enveloping your body at night, you will sleep soundly and have a better pregnancy experience too. However, do not forget to take a personalized opinion from a certified physician before finalizing your purchase.
Infographic: What Are The Various Kinds Of Pregnancy Pillows?
Pregnancy pillows alleviate discomfort and promote restful sleeping positions with their unique shape and plush materials, catering to your specific pregnancy needs. Explore the infographic below to discover the various types of pregnancy pillows available, helping you choose the one that best suits your requirements.
- Best Anti-Colic Bottles
- Stainless Steel Water Bottle
- Best Silicone Cooking Utensils
- Best Manual Breast Pumps