As a parent, you want to look out for your little one as much as possible, which means enrolling them in one of the best preschools in San Francisco.
Deciding your child’s first school is an extremely important decision, as it lays the foundation for their future. Thus, you need to ensure the teachers are qualified, the school is safe and hygienic, the classrooms are well-equipped with teaching aids, and the neighborhood is within easy reach.
If your munchkin is already ready for preschool, this list will help you choose the perfect preschool for your child in your city. So, read on and choose the school that meets most of the criteria you have in mind.
1. Pacific Primary School
- The Pacific Primary School is one of the best preschools in San Francisco aimed at kids in their early childhood aged two and a half to six years.
- The school uses a wide range of educational approaches for providing a deep and meaningful learning experience to the children. The curriculum includes teaching through hands-on exploration, expressive arts and play.
- Even the faculty of the preschool is supportive, with teachers paying individual attention to each child.
- The school is also firmly committed to art. It also has dedicated specialists in music and expressive art.
1500 Grove Street, San Francisco, CA 94117
Contact Number: (415) 346-0906
2. Lone Mountain Children’s Center
- Lone Mountain Children’s Center, a theme-based preschool center has been serving to the tiny tots of San Francisco for over 40 years.
- The preschool exposes the children to the traditional academic disciplines in an age-appropriate manner.
- Each of the classrooms at the Lone Mountain Children’s Center provides an abundance of indoor activities for the toddlers and ensures childcare. In addition to these activities, the preschool also organizes a weekly dance, martial arts, yoga, and music classes.
The Presidio, 1806 Belles Street,
San Francisco, CA 94129
Contact Number: (415) 876-0057
3. The Little School
- The Little School is a relationship-based preschool for kids aged 2 to 6 years. The preschool aims to provide quality education to the tots in a nurturing environment.
- The education center allows children to choose the activities they want to engage in. Even parents are invited to experience their child’s tiny, yet lovely, world.
- The Little School lays a strong emphasis on emotional and social development. It responds to the needs of every child by observing and conversing.
1520 Lyon Street, San Francisco, CA 94115
Contact Number: (415) 567-0430
4. C5 Children’s School
- C5 Children’s School is a preschool, serving children from 6 weeks to 6 years. The preschool does not follow any particular curriculum. What comes from your kid becomes the curriculum itself.
- Children can indulge in diverse activities like music, dance, singing, language, storytelling, and so on in the preschool.
- The preschool keeps the children together in their learning groups with teachers assisting them throughout the program.
455 Golden Gate Ave, Suite 2400
San Francisco, CA 94102
Contact Number: (415) 703-1277
5. JCCSF – Helen Diller Family Preschool
- The JCCSF – Helen Diller Family Preschool enriches the lives of the young ones and even their family by providing opportunities for learning and exploration.
- This majestic preschool has an inventive playground, specialized learning areas, playgroups, and a nature courtyard.
- It also provides expressive materials and play equipment to help kids obtain a positive attitude towards learning.
Jewish Community Center of San Francisco,
3200 California St, San Francisco, CA 94118
B/t Presidio Ave & Walnut St, Presidio Heights
Contact Number: (415) 292-1291
6. Presidio Knolls School
- Presidio Knolls is a progressive preschool created with the mission of educating and inspiring children to become creative and confident in a joyful learning environment.
- It engages the students in a collaborative and hands-on environment to foster curiosity.
- The Reggio Emilia-inspired approach allows the children to explore through play and learn the method. Pupils of Presidio Knolls School acquire language through art, math through music and solve problems together in the playground.
250 10th St, San Francisco, CA 94103
At Folsom St, SoMa
Contact Number: (415) 202-0770
7. Telegraph Hill Child Development Preschool Program
- The Telegraph Hill Child Development Preschool Program, founded in 1954, is a cooperative nursery school providing a safe, healthy and stimulating environment for toddlers to develop socially, emotionally and intellectually.
- The preschool also invites parents to participate in the program on a rotating basis. The efforts of the parents and their involvement with their child’s school make a unique educational endeavor.
- In the school, all administrative functions, fund-raising, and even maintenance are performed by the parents rather than the staff members.
922 Jackson Street,
San Francisco, CA 94133
Contact Number: (415) 421-6443, (415) 433-1352
8. Presidio Hill School
- Presidio Hill School is the oldest and one of the most esteemed preschools in San Francisco. It offers its pupils challenging and project-based curriculum to prepare them for the future.
- The school emphasizes on building a foundation for reading development and comprehension skills. Mathematics concepts like counting, number sense and estimation are explored. It aims to make children confident, creative and critical thinkers.
- The school also emphasizes the importance of service and community by teaching self-awareness and resilience.
3839 Washington St,
San Francisco, CA 94118
Contact Number: (415) 751-9318
9. Children’s Day School
- Children’s Day School is a co-education school providing classes from preschool through the eighth grade. Its mission is to develop the ability and competence of each student by providing an inspiring learning environment.
- The preschool curriculum of Children’s Day School encourages exploration, curiosity, cooperation and love of learning.
- The teachers of the Children’s Day School also follow an innovative method of teaching. They guide the children to find fun in each task and face the struggle courageously.
333 Dolores Street,
San Francisco, CA 94110
Contact Number: (415) 861-5432, (415) 861-5419
10. Little Bee Daycare And Preschool
- Little Bee Daycare and Preschool is designed for kids aged 2 to 4. The curriculum of the preschool is a blend of Montessori, Reggio Emilia and play based learning.
- The preschool practices progressive education by encouraging children to make mistakes, take risks and find answers from experiences and discovery. Children develop social and language skills through interaction with peers and teachers.
- The school also provides a variety of hands-on projects like field trips to help children explore the world around them.
2733 Lombard St, San Francisco, CA 94123
b/t Baker St & Lyon St, Marina/Cow Hollow, Presidio
Contact Number: (415) 697-9051
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is the typical age range for children attending preschool in San Francisco?
For preschools, there is no set age for children to attend. However, most preschools allow children between the age of three and five years.
2. What are the differences between preschools and daycare centers in San Francisco?
The main difference between preschools and daycare centers is the amount of time children spend there. Preschools follow the calendar just like a school does and are usually half-day programs; however, daycare centers are available all year while offering extended hours of the day because they are more built around a parent’s work schedule.
3. What qualities should parents look for when selecting a preschool in San Francisco?
When considering a preschool, parents must look into factors such as the preschool’s location from the house, well-trained teachers and staff, hygiene, modern classes and outdoor facilities, reputation and accreditation of preschool, warm and safe environment, and co curricular programs.
Preschool is the first step toward formal schooling. Perhaps that’s why every parent looks for a preschool that provides children with the best fun learning environment. This list of top 10 preschools in San Francisco can help you find the safest and most well-equipped places with the best teaching professionals. The list gives you a brief overview of each preschool with their contact information to make preschool-hunt easier for you. Go through each preschool and its details carefully and weigh your options to make the best decision for your little one.
Disclaimer: “The list of schools has been taken from various surveys done by third-party print and online publications. MomJunction was not involved in the surveys nor it has any business partnerships with the schools covered in the list. This post is not an endorsement of the schools and parents’ discretion is advised in selecting a school.”
The aspirational needs of parents for their children’s education might vary. Understand what to ask when you are selecting a preschool for your child.