Prunes are dried European plums. Due to their natural laxative properties, you can use prune juice to treat constipation in toddlers. Since children mostly develop digestion problems due to the consumption (or lack) of specific foods, adding prune juice to their diet can help prevent constipation. In addition, it is rich in nutrients and minerals, thus promoting their overall health.
Read on to know more about the causes of constipation in children, the role of prune juice in treating constipation in children, and some tasty recipes to make prune juice at home.
Causes Of Constipation In Toddlers:
There are several causes of constipation in toddlers, but the most prominent cause is diet. Constipation resulting due to fever or illness lasts for a short period while constipation resulting due to food sensitivities or imbalance in gut flora lasts longer. Other causes include:
- Inadequate water intake.
- Lack of intake of fiber, vegetables, and fruits.
- Excess intake of white flour foods or carbohydrates.
- Excess intake of cold foods such as frozen yogurt or ice-cream.
- Excess intake of pasteurized dairy products.
So making dietary changes can help treat your little one’s constipation effectively.
[ Read: Water Intake For Toddlers ]
What is Prune Juice?
Prunus Domestica is the scientific name of European plum, which in easily available and helps cure several health conditions. Prune juice is prepared by soaking dried plum fruit in steam and then mixing it in a blender. Prune juice is a trusted natural laxative, so it’s is popular laxative for treating constipation in toddlers. Also, prunes are rich in minerals and vitamins, so they promote your toddler’s overall health. (1)
Prune Juice For Constipation In Toddlers:
Prunes are mild stimulants. Prune juice contains dihydroxyphenylisatin and dietary fiber, which help him toddler have normal and smooth bowel movements. Sorbital and fiber in the juice soften the stool and prevent the symptoms of constipation. Healthy enzymes and fiber in prune juice get your toddler’s digestive tract back on the track and promotes digestion after curing constipation. Also, consuming prune juice causes no problems in the colon of toddlers. Besides, prune juice is rich in antioxidants that combat cell-damaging free radicals. Feed him a glass of prune juice before he goes to bed. (2)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Food Poisoning In Toddlers ]
How To Prepare Prune Juice For Toddler Constipation?
You can prepare prune juice, or you blend prunes with other nutritious fruits and prepare a prune juice smoothie. Here are some prominent recipes of prune juice. (3)
1. Pure Prune Juice:
You Will Need:
- A handful of prunes
- ½ fresh lemon
- 1 cup of water
- Soak dried prunes in steam for some time.
- Take the prunes and mix them in a blender. Obtain pure prune puree.
- Obtain fresh lemon juice from a half lemon and add it.
- Add a cup of water to it and mix it well.
- Serve the fresh, pure prune juice to your toddler.
2. Prune-Mango Smoothie:
You Will Need:
- One mango, peeled
- Five prunes, chopped
- One orange, peeled
- 100 gms of yogurt
- 200 ml milk
- Add five prunes, mango, orange, yogurt, and milk in a liquidizer and obtain smooth juice.
- Pour it into glasses and serve immediately.
[ Read: Organic Foods For Toddlers ]
3. Prune Juice Smoothie With Coconut Milk And Berries:
You Will Need:
- ½ cup of pure coconut milk
- ¼ cup of mixed berries, all frozen
- One leaf of kale
- ½ cup of pure prune juice
- One tablespoon of flax seeds
- Add coconut milk, berries, kale leaf, prune juice, and flax seeds to a blender and blend everything till you obtain a smooth mixture.
- Pour mixed prune juice in a glass and offer it to your toddler.
- You can add water if your toddler want to have less concentrated juice.
Did you consider prunes for toddler constipation to provide instant relief? Did he like it? Do you know any tasty prune juice recipes? Tell us below.
- 5 Serious Causes Of Acid Reflux In Toddlers
- Appendicitis In Toddlers – Everything You Need To Know
- 8 Serious Signs & Symptoms Of Anemia In Toddlers
- 5 Common Causes Of Stomach Pain In Toddlers