So, your baby is eating solids! Congratulations! But have you thought about introducing fish to her diet?
Fish is known to contain a number of nutrients. So, it should be good for your baby, right? Well, yes and no! Fish, introduced at the right time can be good for your baby’s health. But introduce it too early, and you run the risk of exposing your baby to potential allergens.
Don’t worry! In this article, we discuss everything in detail – when to introduce fish to baby, the varieties of fish you can try and two simple and delicious recipes for your little bundle of joy.
When To Include Fish In Your Baby’s Diet?
When it comes to fish, there is a cacophony of expert voices! Some say wait till your baby is one before you introduce fish while others prefer waiting till the baby turns three. This is because fish is a known allergen. If your baby is prone to allergies, it is better to wait till she is one. But if your baby shows no sign of allergies, you can introduce her to fish as early as eight months!
But if you are thinking of shellfish and crustaceans such as lobster, oysters, etc. do consult your baby’s pediatrician first!
[ Read: How To Make Squash For Baby ]
What Fish To Start With?
If you have decided to go ahead and give your baby a taste of fish, start with “white flesh” fish types. Some safe varieties of fish for your baby are:
All these varieties are easy to digest and healthy for your baby.
Is Your Baby Allergic To Fish?
When you introduce any new food to your baby, look out for allergy symptoms. The same case applies to fish. Symptoms to watch out for:
- Swelling of the tongue, lips, and face
- Skin rash
If your baby reacts with any of these symptoms, go to your pediatrician.
Are you looking for ways on how to cook fish for baby, make sure to de-bone it completely. This is the most important part of cooking fish for baby.
[ Read: Breakfast Recipes For Babies ]
Fish Recipes For Babies:
There are a number of ways you can cook fish. You can poach, bake, or steam the fish. You can also add veggies and fruits to make it more delicious.
Okay, don’t get confused! We have come up with a few easy to make, lip smacking fish recipes. Your baby will love them, for sure!
1. Mashed Fish:
Wholesome and easy to make – this fish recipe for baby is a winner!
- One filet of any fish
- 1/8 cup 2% or whole milk
- One tablespoon melted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup mashed peas
- 1/8 cup mashed carrots
- 1/8 cup mashed potatoes
How To Make:
- De-bone the fish.
- Now, cook the fish by steaming, poaching or baking.
- Shred the cooked fish to pieces to ensure all bones have been removed.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender and blend or dice.
- Toss all the ingredients together and serve!
[ Read: Spinach Recipes For Babies ]
2. Oven Baked Plaice:
Put your oven to good use and make some yummy fish for your little angel!
- One plaice filet, skinned
- 2 tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp unsalted butter
- Four fl oz (1/2 cup) milk
- One bay leaf
- 1 potato
How To Make:
- Preheat oven to180 degree C.
- Put plaice in an oven safe dish and place the tomato, butter and bay leaf on top.
- Pour in 3/4 of the milk.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Simultaneously, boil the potato and mash with the remaining milk and butter.
- Mash the fish and puree it along with the milk from cooking.
- Combine with the mashed potato and serve.
If your baby takes to fish, you are one step closer to raising a foodie! But in case of allergic reactions, stop immediately and consult your doctor. Fish can sometimes cause severe allergic reaction that can even prove fatal. Many varieties of fish are also known to contain mercury. So, stick with white flesh fish to prevent mercury poisoning.
The best thing to do is talk to your baby’s pediatrician before you introduce fish. Once he gives you the go ahead – have fun cooking!
Which of these fish recipes for babies you would like to cook? Are you planning to start your baby’s feed with fish? If yes, when. Tell us, in the comments section below!
- 3 Yummy Beet Recipes For Your Baby
- 6 Health Benefits Of Barley For Your Baby
- 2 Easy And Quick Peas Recipes For Your Baby
- 5 Health Benefits Of Kiwi For Your Baby
Latest posts by Chhandita Chakravarty (see all)
- Teaching About Body Parts To Kids - March 31, 2016
- Child Passenger Safety – Rules And Tips - February 29, 2016
- How Milk Thistle Can Help You During Breastfeeding - February 29, 2016
- Dry Cough During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know - February 15, 2016
- Chemical Pregnancy After IVF And IUI : Is It A Good Sign? - February 10, 2016
- Headaches In Toddlers - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Treatment - February 8, 2016
- Sleep During Pregnancy: A Distant Dream Or Manageable - January 29, 2016
- How To Deal With Breastmilk Allergy In Babies? - January 28, 2016
- 34 Beautiful Baby Girl Room Ideas - January 27, 2016
- 24 Best Parks In Mumbai To Visit With Your Kids - January 20, 2016