Fabrication of lies usually start as harmless little cover-ups but these falsehoods become compelling reasons for never-ending problems. We bring you a collection of quotes about lies in a relationship to help you understand the uncomfortable situation and give you insight into different perspectives. The fundamental pillars of any relationship are transparency, honesty, and trust. When you find out that your partner has been beguiling or lying to you, you can’t help but feel betrayed and duped, which can give rise to communication problems in the relationship. If these are not resolved in time, you might face unfortunate scenarios. So, make the wrong things right by reading some of the thought-provoking quotes from our post.
Lying Quotes For Him
When men lie in a relationship, they may not quite understand the damage it can do to a relationship. Scroll down to know how lies and deceit can ruin relationships.
- Just gonna stand there and hear me cry. Well, that’s alright because I love the way you lie.— Eminem
- Lord, Lord, how subject we old men are to the vice of lying.–William Shakespeare
- A single lie and misrepresentation in a relationship makes one question every truth ever there was in it.— Anonymous
- When truth is replaced by silence, the silence is a lie. – Yevgeny Yevtushenko
- Anything is better than lies and deceit! – Leo Tolstoy
- The worst part is being lied and cheated by the person who didn’t consider you to be his truth. — Anonymous
- Lying is like alcoholism. You are always recovering.– Steven Soderbergh
- I’m not upset that you lied to me, I’m upset that from now on I can’t believe you. — Friedrich Nietzsche
- A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.– Winston Churchill
- Not only do I lie, I take real pleasure in lying, in the transmission of magical effects.– Ricky Jay
- Every sentence he uttered was like a brushstroke on a canvas of deception. — Anonymous
Tessa C. Ryan, a romance author, shares an intimate letter addressing her ex-boyfriend and his lies. She writes, “You destroyed us. You destroyed me. With your lies, deflections, and betrayals. Your justification of, ‘If I told you the truth, you wouldn’t understand.’ At least it wouldn’t make me cry. At least it wouldn’t make me doubt your every move. But with my first forgiveness under your belt, you continued to lie and lie… With taunts of, ‘You were never there for me.’ Your mantra whenever I tried to discuss the issue. With an ironic reminder that if I tried to even the score, we were done (i).”
- Better to be hurt by the truth than comforted with a lie.– Khaled Hosseini
- For him, truth was his shadow, always following him but remained concealed. — Anonymous
- Every time you lie to me, it brings us a little closer to bidding farewell. — Anonymous
- If you tell the truth, you don’t have to remember anything. — Mark Twain
- Lying to the one who loves you is telling them that you don’t deem them worthy of your truth — Anonymous
- For every good reason there is to lie, there is a better reason to tell the truth.– Bo Bennett
- There’s only two people in your life you should lie to… the police and your girlfriend.– Jack Nicholson
- Of all the lies I’ve heard, ‘I love you’ was my favorite.– Anonymous
- It is better to offer no excuse than a bad one.― George Washington
- The cruelest lies are often told in silence. – Robert Louis Stevenson
- Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides.― André Malraux
- There is nothing in the world more shameful than establishing one’s self on lies and fables.– Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- We swallow greedily any lie that flatters us, but we sip only little by little at a truth we find bitter.– Denis Diderot
- Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty.– Stephen King
- If you do not tell the truth about yourself you cannot tell it about other people. – Virginia Woolf
- A thing may happen and be a total lie; another thing may not happen and be truer than the truth. – Tim O’Brien
- Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons. – Michael Jackson
- The hurt of a lie and betrayal stays forever in the heart.— Anonymous
- Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well.– Samuel Butler
- When a man is penalized for honesty he learns to lie. — Criss Jami
- You must never lie to the one who trusts you and never trust the one who lies to you.– Anonymous
- We’re going to have to let truth scream louder to our souls than the lies that have infected us. – Beth Moore
- A lie has speed, but truth has endurance.– Edgar J. Mohn
- You may tell the greatest lies and wear a brilliant disguise, but you can’t escape the eyes of the one who sees right through you. – Tom Robbins
- Lying to your lover is one way of saying that you want to quit.- Anonymous
Lying Quotes For Her
A single lie or dishonesty can break the trust of your partner and destroy the beautiful bond you both have. Here are some meaningful quotes about lying in a relationship.
- It is said that women make better liars than men. But for a woman who has a deep feeling of respect for the relationship and her partner, lying and putting the relationship at risk is the toughest thing to do.– Anonymous
- If what he said was the truth, it broke her heart. If what he said was a lie, it was broken anyway. — Christine Feehan
- Being single is better than being lied to and cheated on. — Anonymous
- Behind her sweet smile, lies danced and illuminated her darkest secrets. — Anonymous
- In her plot, truth wore a mask, and deception played the leading role. — Anonymous
- Over time, any deception destroys intimacy, and without intimacy couples cannot have true and lasting love. — Bonnie Eaker Weil
- Lying is the most fun a woman can have without taking her clothes off. — Natalie Portman
- If lying was a job, some people like you would have turned into millionaires. — Anonymous
- She wore a cloak of deception, concealing her true self in a halo of deceit. —Anonymous
- Speaking the truth may hurt temporarily but telling a lie hurts forever. — Anonymous
- The trust of the innocent is the liar’s most useful tool.– Stephen King
- I never lie…At least not to those I don’t love. — Anne Rice
- The rules are simple: they lie to us, we know they’re lying, they know we know they’re lying, but they keep lying to us, and we keep pretending to believe them. — Elena Gorokhova
- Things come apart so easily when they have been held together with lies. — Dorothy Allison
- The person who promises never to lie is already playing a game with you. — Anonymous
- Never lie when a woman asks you something. Maybe she knows the answer already. — Anonymous
- Cheaters will only understand the pain when somebody cheats on them. — Anonymous
- I can take any truth; just don’t lie to me.– Barbra Streisand
- “Lying is a cooperative act. Think about it. A lie has no power whatsoever by its mere utterance. Its power emerges when someone else agrees to believe the lie.”- Pamela Meyer
- A harmful truth is better than a useful lie.– Thomas Mann
- She was an enchantress in true sense, making truths disappear in her magic of words. — Anonymous
- The moment you make someone promise anything is the same moment you ask them to lie to you. – Molly Ringwald
- People start to lie more once they start to care less.– Rain Cooper
- “I don’t need to know everything but I do need to know that what you are telling me is true.”- Anonymous
- No one believes a liar. Even when she’s telling the truth. — Sara Shepard
- Lying is an elementary means of self-defense.– Susan Sontag
- I prefer an ugly truth to a pretty lie. If someone is telling me the truth that is when I will give my heart.– Shakira
- There are few reasons for telling the truth, but for lying the number is infinite. – Carlos Ruiz Zafón
- Lying is just letting people believe what they want to be true. – Megan Whalen Turner
- Words can lie. See beyond them. – Victoria Aveyard
- Lying is done with words, and also with silence. — Adrienne Rich
- I’d rather hear an ugly truth, rather than an obscure lie. – Ana Monnar
Lying To Your Wife Quotes
Lying to the person who knows you better than anyone can strike a fatal blow to the relationship.
- I love you, and because I love you, I would sooner have you hate me for telling you the truth than adore me for telling you lies.– Pietro Aretino
- If you are looking for a short-term solution, think about lying to your partner. But remember that it destroys your long term relationship.– Anonymous
- Cheating and lying aren’t struggles, they’re reasons to break up. — Patti Callahan Henry
- Beauty is often deceptive, so I prefer an ugly truth over a beautiful lie. — Anonymous
- You didn’t just cheat on me; you cheated on us. You didn’t just break my heart; you broke our future. — Steve Maraboli
- No woman could love a cheater and not pay the price for it. — Rose Wynters
- Even a tiny bit of deceit is dishonorable when it’s used for selfish or cowardly reasons. — Jeanne Birdsall
- Lying is wrong. When you tell a lie for the sake of sparing someone’s feelings it is not suddenly right, but it is compassionate. And is not compassion a form of love? Love—the greatest of all virtues! So, my darling, I do wrong for you. I lie that you might feel loved. —Richelle E. Goodrich
- Treachery is the easy way out only for a very short while. And then it becomes a torturous mountain to climb. —Anonymous
- Betrayal was what I felt, my heart broken not just by a guy I was in love with, but also by, as I once believed, a true friend. — Danka V.
- People cheat when they are afraid. When there is no cost to being wrong or confessing ignorance, there is no reason to cheat or fake comprehension.— Leah Hager Cohen
- Those who cheat on their partners who are loyal to them; don’t deserve them. It is a trashy attitude to disrespect a person who is loyal in a relationship, by cheating on him or her.—Ellen J. Barrier
- One lie has the power to tarnish a thousand truths. — Al David
- The truly scary thing about undiscovered lies is that they have a greater capacity to diminish us than exposed ones. —Cheryl Hughes
- What hurts more is not that you lied but that I don’t know how to trust you anymore. — Anonymous
- Lying is easy. But it’s lonely. — Victoria Schwab
- There’s a tipping point with lies, a point where you’ve said something so many times that it feels truer than the truth. — Holly Black
- Cheats prosper until there are enough who bear grudges against them to make sure they do not prosper. — Peter Singer
- Once a cheater, always a repeater. — Melissa Edwards
- Cheating is the most disrespectful thing one human being can do to another. If you aren’t happy in a relationship, end it before starting another one. — Abhishek Tiwari
- When a man steals your wife, there is no better revenge than to let him keep her. — Sacha Guitry
- Duplicity does not just obscure the truth. Often, it obscures the love itself.¬ Anonymous
- There are different ways to be confused about how someone’s disappointed you. Some lie about the future because they wanted to forget the past. But some will lie about the past because they think it will give you both a future. — Laura Dave
- A relationship is true only when there is no place for lies or craftiness between the two of us. — Anonymous
- Don’t cheat if you don’t want to be cheated. A relationship is mutual. This is the golden rule for all great connections. —Israelmore Ayivor
- One day you’re going to remember me and how much I loved you … and then you’re going to hate yourself for letting me go. — Drake
- Even if you lie a hundred times, remember that lying is not worth losing the trust and respect of your near ones. — Anonymous
- In any intimate relationship, the intimacy thrives on transparency and shrivels when the truth is veiled. — Anonymous
- That was how dishonesty and betrayal started, not in big lies but in small secrets. — Amy Tan
- Cheating only thrills those who cannot see the beauty in faithfulness. — Michael Bassey Johnson
- Trust, once lost, could not be easily found. Not in a year, perhaps not even in a lifetime. — E.B. Spredemann
- Infidelity is mentally, emotionally, and physically painful to the betrayed spouse. Be gentle with yourself as you heal.— Dr. Karen Finn
Lying To Your Husband Quotes
When a man finds out his wife has lied to him, no patching can completely heal the damage it has done. These quotes about lies are apt for this situation.
- Duplicitousness is the shortcut method to kill your relationship — Anonymous
- When people cheat in any arena, they diminish themselves-they threaten their own self-esteem and their relationships with others by undermining the trust they have in their ability to succeed and in their ability to be true. — Cheryl Hughes
- If you don’t want to slip up tomorrow, speak the truth today. — Bruce Lee
- A lie may heal you for the present, but it can never lead to a happy future. — Anonymous
- An honest foe is better than a deceptive friend. —Anonymous
- Cheating was easy, but impossible to take back.— Dean Osborne
- One lie is enough to question all the truth. — Samaira Ansari
- The strength of truth lies in love and the strength of love lies in truth. — Pandurang Shastri Athavale
- When your partner asks you to tell the truth, listen to him. He probably knows your deceptiveness already. — Anonymous
- Cheating is the most selfish thing a person can do in a relationship! If you’re not happy with the person you’re with then end it. It’s that simple! — Jerry Springer
- It is better to lock up your heart with a merciless padlock, than to fall in love with someone who doesn’t know what they mean to you. ― Michael Bassey Johnson
- I heartily accept apologies, but not deception. — Anonymous
- Don’t disrespect me, lie about it, and then come smile in my face and act like nothing’s wrong. — Scottie Pippen
- ‘It was a mistake,’ you said. But the cruel thing was, it felt like the mistake was mine, for trusting you. — David Levithan
- Lying is one of the simplest ways to ruin a beautiful relationship. — Anonymous
- You can’t save a relationship unless both people are equally invested. It takes a joint effort to make it work. One person trying will never be enough. — Tony Gaskins
- Lying to your lover is the cruelest way in which you can show them you don’t care. — Anonymous
- Because even if the lie is beautiful, the truth is what you face in the end. — Lauren DeStefano
- For a relationship to flourish, it needs an affair. However, the affair needs to be with your own self … your inner self. —Lebo Grand
- Love is never supposed to hurt. Love is supposed to heal, to be your haven from misery, to make living worthwhile.— Mia Ashe
- Lying to your husband is like drinking poison to ruin your own happiness. — Anonymous
- If you would like for your husband to spin you a web of cunning lies and not respect you with the truth, go ahead, lie to him. — Anonymous
- Your mendacity may comfort today and kill tomorrow. A truth hurts today and strengthens tomorrow. — Anonymous
- I’m proud of my heart. It’s been played, stabbed, cheated, burned and broken, but somehow it still works. —Alcatraz Dey
- Once someone cheats in the relationship, there’s no reason to stay. If they truly loved you they would’ve never cheated. — Anurag Prakash Ray
- The saddest part of lying to your favorite person is to carry the guilt and shame that follows for a lifetime. —Anonymous
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do you deal with a liar in a relationship?
Be calm, and understand the facts first. Secondly, if the lies, insincerity, and perfidy are damaging your relationship, it is essential to discourage prevarication and confront them about the possible reasons and consequences of this behavior.
2. Are lies okay in a relationship?
At times, your partner could be resorting to little lies or fibbing behaviors not to hurt your feelings. However, it depends on the situation’s intensity and why they are lying to you. If you feel it is deteriorating your relationship, you must have a detailed conversation not to let this habit cause future problems with your partner.
3. What are some signs that a partner is lying in a relationship?
There are various indicators that a partner might be lying in a relationship. These signs encompass excessive defensiveness, contradictory explanations, evading direct answers or avoiding eye contact, sudden shifts in behavior or body language, and a general lack of transparency or willingness to take responsibility.
4. Can lying in a relationship ever be justified?
In certain situations, there might be instances where lying is seen as necessary to avoid hurting a partner’s feelings. Lying can occur to some extent in relationships; however, it is crucial to acknowledge that certain lies can have harmful consequences. The impact of a lie largely depends on its nature and its underlying motives.
5. How should someone respond to a partner’s lies?
Gain insight into the reasons for your partner’s lies. By understanding their motivations, you can address the issue more productively. Engage in open and empathetic communication, refraining from accusations or judgment until you have heard their perspective.
6. What are the consequences of lying in a relationship?
While it is true that some lies may initially appear harmless or inevitable, it is important to recognize that even small and infrequent lies can erode trust, empathy, and compassion in a relationship. These lies can demonstrate selfishness, and a lack of respect, leading to issues such as decreased intimacy and other relationship challenges.
7. How can a relationship recover from lies?
Recovering from lies in a relationship involves fostering open communication, enhancing listening skills, demonstrating a genuine commitment to change, and seeking professional assistance if needed. By working together and being proactive, the relationship can rebuild trust and move towards healing and growth.
8. What are some tips for avoiding lying in a relationship?
To avoid lying in a relationship, it is important to take ownership of your dishonesty, prioritize open communication, refrain from justifying dishonesty, develop healthy coping mechanisms for negative emotions, think about the potential consequences of lying, and seek professional support if necessary.
A successful relationship is built on trust, honesty, and loyalty. Both the partners have to be honest in a relationship to make it last. Lying, dishonesty, double-dealing, or falsehood can irreparably damage trust and cause the downfall of a relationship. Quotes about lies in a relationship perfectly highlight how important it is to remain truthful with your partner. So share these quotes with your partner if you have found out that they have been lying to you or just to remind them of the need for transparency and honesty in a relationship.
Infographic: Lying In A Relationship Quotes
A relationship is based on the pillars of trust. Introducing lies in it could take things downhill. If you have experienced the same but are unable to express your feelings, we have put together a list of quotes based on the context of lying in a relationship that can help you understand it better. Read on to know more about it.
Lying and cheating breaks trust in a relationship and makes it toxic. The quotes about lying in this video are insightful and help you calm down. Watch it now.
Personal Experience: Source
i. Let’s be honest- You lied;