Does your teen suffer from viral infection and itchy skin rashes? Does her discomfort trouble you? If the rashes don’t seem to get better and your teen continues to suffer, seek immediate medical aid. She might have chicken pox. What is chicken pox? How does it affect teens? Read our post and get the answers to your questions here.
What Is Chicken Pox?
Chicken pox is a viral infection, which occurs due to the varicella-zoster virus. It usually features painful skin blisters all around the head, face, hands, chest and legs. The infection induces mild illness as well. Teens with a weak immunity system are more prone to the viral infection. (1)
[ Read: Meningitis In Teens ]
Symptoms Of Chicken Pox In Teens:
Skin rashes are easily the most recognizable symptom of chicken pox. However, after one or two days your teen may experience red skin rashes along with several other health discomforts. Some of the symptoms of chickenpox in teenagers include:
- High temperature (fever)
- Body aches
- Skin spots develop into small blisters and are itchy
- Loss of appetite
- Feeling of being unwell (malaise) (2)
[ Read: Loss of Appetite In Teens ]
Causes Of Chicken Pox In Teens:
The main cause of chicken pox is the herpes virus, Varicella zoster. The virus is typically contagious. The virus transmits through the air or skin-to-skin contact. Once the virus enters the body, it incubates in the body for 15-20 days and only then do the painful skin rashes appear. (3)
Treating Chicken Pox In Teens:
There are many treatments for the red blisters, some of the medications that help treat it includes:
- Antihistamines such as Diphenhydramine can reduce the itching sensation.
- Acetaminophen (Tylenol) or ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin IB, or other) can cure symptoms of a mild fever.
- Soothing creams (emollients) may ease itching sensation.
- Taking Paracetamol to reduce symptoms of high temperature (fever), headaches, and aches.
- Antiviral pills such as Aciclovir can limit the multiplication of the viruses in teens and reduce further complications.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Eczema In Teens ]
Home Remedies For Chicken Pox In Teens:
Here are some home remedies to help reduce the effects of chicken pox in teens.
- Get your teen to drink plenty of liquids such as water or fruit juice, to hydrate her body.
- Use calamine lotion to help ease her itching sensation.
- Keep her skin and body clean. Offer her sponge baths twice in a day to keep her scabs and skin blisters clean and free of infection.
- Don’t let her scratch the skin blisters. Scratching further infects the blisters, and the scars turn permanent.
- Keep her fingernails short and clean.
- Keep her skin cool to relieve her constant itching.
- Keep your daughter away from other family members, who have never contracted chicken pox. (4)
[ Read: Heartburn In Teens ]
Preventing Chicken Pox In Teenagers:
Effective chicken pox vaccination can protect your teen from the chicken pox-inducing Varicella zoster virus. Typically vaccinations include two doses of the vaccines four to eight weeks apart. (5)
When To Visit The Doctor?
If your teen is suffering from chicken pox, you should visit the doctor immediately. Chicken pox can also lead to a stiff neck, severe headaches, listlessness, confusion, or rapid breathing. With such signs, your teen is at a higher risk of suffering from brain infection or pneumonia, which requires immediate medical attention. (6)
Chicken pox can often lead to severe complexity in teens, with un-repairable health conditions. So, if you notice about severe chicken pox symptoms in teenagers, seek immediate medical aid.
We hope you found the article useful? Did your teen ever suffer from chicken pox? How did you help her get over it? Tell us your story here. Leave a comment.
- Insomnia In Teens – 6 Symptoms & 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Migraine In Teenagers – Everything You Need To Know
- Kidney Stones In Teens – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Epilepsy In Teens – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 6 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Constipation In Teens
Latest posts by RIA SAHA (see all)
- How to Show respect to your husband: 13 fundamental things you should try - August 24, 2017
- 13 Practical Ways To Respect Your Husband - July 11, 2017
- What Women Want In A Relationship: 30+ Things You Should know - July 10, 2017
- Diet Plans For Overweight Pregnant Women - Everything You Need To Know - June 30, 2017
- 12 Common Complications Associated With Twin Pregnancy - June 30, 2017
- Hepatitis During Pregnancy: Types, Causes, And Treatment - May 11, 2017
- You Have Different Breastmilk For Your Daughter And Son - June 6, 2016
- How To Be A Good Husband - A Definite Guide - May 30, 2016
- 10 Delicious Non-Alcoholic Cocktails Recipes For Kids - May 27, 2016
- 8 Spectacular Nail Art Designs For Teens - May 24, 2016