Does your child complain of constant stomach ache only for you to find out he needed to break wind?
Gas problems, also known as flatulence, are quite common among all. Everyone faces it once in a while. It is natural to let out gas. It is actually unavoidable. But when gas doesn’t pass easily, it can cause several disturbances within the digestive system and the body.
Just like adults, toddlers too, are likely to be affected by intestinal gas formation. There may be a particular food or a habit in general that triggers your child’s gas. The trouble starts when your child starts to experience pain and other symptoms associated with the condition.
In the article below, we tell you the causes, symptoms and treatment for gas problem.
Causes Of Gas Pain In Toddlers:
There could be several possible factors that could trigger excess formation of gas in toddlers. Here are a few of them:
- Use of certain antibiotic medications. If your child is affected by some infection, the medications that you have been giving him may trigger excess formation of gas.
- Lactose intolerance. Your baby may be intolerant to lactose, which is commonly found in milk and most milk products.
- Diet changes. You may have introduced your kid to some new foods which may be causing excess formation of gas.
- Cruciferous vegetables and certain other foods are known to increase flatulence.
- Many active children do not chew their food properly. There may be a greater production of gas in their bodies while digestion.
- Several times, children may also swallow large amounts of air while eating or drinking. It causes increased flatulence.
- Not drinking enough water. It may sound surprising, but not keeping up with water intake can cause problems in the digestive system.
- Major digestive problems such as irritable bowel syndrome, viral infections and celiac disease may also be responsible for flatulence.
[ Read: Stomach Pain In Toddlers ]
Signs And Symptoms:
These are following toddler gas pain symptoms, if affected by flatulence:
- Clenching the fists.
- Squirming around.
- Being uncomfortable.
- Crying a lot even though he’s been fed.
- Occasional burping.
- Pulling up the legs.
- Writhing and grunting.
- Struggling while having a bowel movement.
[ Read: Food Allergies In Toddlers ]
Home Remedies For Gas Relief For Toddlers:
Thankfully, flatulence isn’t a health concern that will make you have your toddler rush to the doctor. A few simple steps and changes are all you need to make to prevent and tackle gas problems in your child.
1. Eliminate the triggers. Most of the time, certain foods may make your child more prone to the gas issue. Avoid letting your child consume more of them. Cabbage, kale, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, onions, peas and potatoes are common triggers.
2. Massaging your child’s tummy gently by rubbing in the clockwise direction may also stimulate passage of gas. Do this after meals.
3. Include fiber-rich foods in your child’s diet. Such a diet will keep his system clean. It will also make him less prone to flatulence.
4. Implement proper eating habits. Advise your child to eat his food properly- to chew it at least 10 times before he swallows it.
5. Keep up the liquid intake. Make sure that your child drinks enough water throughout the day. It will prevent constipation. It will also encourage passage of gas.
[ Read: Causes Of Acid Reflux In Toddlers ]
If these remedies fail to show any improvement in your baby’s condition, you may want to have him checked by a doctor to understand the underlying cause of his gas pain in toddlers.
Do let us know in the comment box below if the information above is useful to you. Or if you know of other remedies, share them with us.
- Hives In Toddler – 5 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 3 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Appendicitis In Toddlers – Everything You Need To Know
- 8 Serious Signs & Symptoms Of Anemia In Toddlers
- Sore Throat In Toddlers – 8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015