Are you a new mom who loves bonding with your baby while breastfeeding him? Are you suffering from strep throat and are afraid that you may pass the infection to your little one? If you said yes to the above questions, then reading our post is a good idea.
No mother can see her baby suffering from any ailment. For a new mom, the thought of passing on a disease to her breastfeeding baby is her worst nightmare. According to popular belief, if a lactating mother is suffering from an ailment, then it is a wise decision to stop nursing her baby to safeguard him from the infection. However, most health experts strongly advise mothers to continue breastfeeding their little ones to boost their immunity! Read on to find out if breastfeeding while you are suffering from strep throat is a safe bet or not.
What Is Strep Throat?
Strep throat is a bacterial infection caused by the Group A Streptococcus bacteria. It leads to pharyngitis. (1)
Causes Of Strep Throat:
Any contact with the fluids from the nose and mouth of an infected person can lead to the spread of this contagious disease.
[ Read: Sinus Infection While Breastfeeding ]
Symptoms Of Strep Throat:
Here are some common symptoms of Strep throat:
- Fever which begins suddenly and peaks on the second day.
- Red sore throat with white patches
- Swollen and tender neck glands
- Discomfort while swallowing
- Loss of appetite and taste
Treatment For Strep Throat:
Doctors usually prescribe antibiotics for ten days to cure Strep throat. You should inform your doctor that you are a nursing mother so that he can suggest drugs that are safe for both you and your baby. Amoxicillin is the common medication for Strep throat. You can safely take the drug while breastfeeding. (2)
Home Remedies For Strep Throat While Breastfeeding:
Here are a few simple steps you can take to soothe your strep throat while nursing:
- Sip warm liquids like lemon tea and warm water with honey to alleviate the throat pain.
- Gargle at least 4-5 times in a day with warm salt water.
- Try and use a vaporizer or humidifier to moisten your dry and painful throat.
- You can also consume throat lozenges to find temporary relief from the soreness.
[ Read: Causes Of Thrush During Breastfeeding ]
Can You Breastfeed With Strep Throat?
Remember that breastfeeding will benefit your baby even while you are sick. Strep throat is a contagious disease, but as a lactating mother you do not have to worry about passing on the disease to your little one. While fighting an infection your body produces antibodies and if you continue breastfeeding you can pass them on to your baby and boost his immunity instead. Abruptly weaning your baby is not advisable. It will lead to emotional discomfort for both you and your baby.
Things To Remember:
Here are a few precautionary measures that will help you safely nurse your baby even while suffering from strep throat:
- Ensure that you wash your hands every time you hold your baby.
- Avoid sneezing and face-to-face contact with your baby.
- Any illness can lead to dehydration, and it can take a toll on the quantity of breast milk you produce. To avoid this, try and increase your fluid intake.
- If your partner is also suffering from strep throat, ask him to avoid contact with your baby until he recovers completely.
[ Read: Signs Of Dehydration While Breastfeeding ]
Only under very rare circumstances a mother has to discontinue breastfeeding. Even if she has to do so, it is only on a temporary basis. Remember that nursing works wonders in many ways for both the mother and the baby.
Did you suffer from strep throat while breastfeeding? What treatment did the doctor advice? Please share your experience with other moms here.
- Is It Safe To Continue Breastfeeding While Suffering From Flu?
- Is It Safe To Breastfeed When You Have A Cold?
- 6 Benefits Of Breastfeeding While Having Diabetes
- 5 Serious Side Effects Of Caffeine While Breast-Feeding
- How And When To Use A Nipple Shield
Latest posts by Payal Morjaria (see all)
- Norovirus Infections And Pregnancy - Everything You Should Be Aware Of - November 17, 2015
- How To Get Rid Of Body Odor During Pregnancy? - November 16, 2015
- Marfan Syndrome In Babies - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments - November 4, 2015
- Is It Safe To Take Dandelion Tea During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Can You Eat Banana While Breastfeeding? - November 3, 2015
- How To Set Boundaries For Teenagers? - October 31, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Shrimp When Breastfeeding? - October 31, 2015
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Complications - October 27, 2015
- The Christmas Story For Kids - Birth Of Jesus Christ - October 25, 2015
- What Is Prosocial Behaviour & When Should You Intervene? - October 16, 2015