Holding a baby in your womb is one of the most precious moments in your life. Your family waits eagerly to welcome the smallest member.
With healthy practice & compassion you can help the fetus developing inside you stay healthy and eventually give birth to your little bundle of joy without any hindrance.
When it comes to choosing milk for development of your fetus, you will come across plenty of options. One such beneficial option is the soy milk derived from soy beans. But, is soy milk during pregnancy safe to consume? Soy products are high in protein and have all the nine vital amino acids. However, the negative effects of its consumption in pregnancy and lactation period cannot be ruled out completely.
Health Benefits Of Soy Milk During Pregnancy
Though there may be some discrepancies about consumption of soy milk in pregnancy, here are some benefits that cannot be actually ignored:
- Soy milk is rich in folic acid that offers necessary nutrients in pregnancy. Regular intake on folic acid improves growth of nerve cells and optimizes development of your fetus.
- Vitamin B1, A and E are some of the vitamins that you need the most at this stage. Vitamin E offers you adequate energy that helps you stay healthy. Soy milk, which is a rich source of vitamins, helps you complete the required vitamin needs.
- It is known to be rich in protein that ensures good health of different organs in your body. Protein ensures organs of your unborn child to develop well. Some of the proteins that you can find in soy milk are threonine, arginine, isoleucine, glycine and lysin.
- It is rich in vegetable fats that are good for you and your unborn child in pregnancy.
- Soy milk contains carbohydrate that boosts up your energy levels in pregnancy.
[ Read: Almond Milk During Pregnancy ]
Side Effects Of Soy Milk For Pregnant Women
Despite the high nutritional content, probable side effects of soymilk cannot be ignored completely. Here is a closer look at some of them:
- Soy milk contains isoflavones that mimics estrogen.
- Experiments conducted on animals taking high doses of soy milk found development of tumors or other physical deformities in the unborn child.
- Some pregnant mothers are known to develop allergic symptoms like rashes, swelling, breathing troubles, vomiting and nausea due to regular consumption of soy milk.
- Soy milk consumption in rare cases also resulted in anaphylaxis.
- There has been no conclusive report so far that completely disapproves intake of soy milk in pregnancy. However, it is better to avoid consumption of soy milk in excess to avoid birth defects in babies.
- Isoflavones contained in soy beans are also said to trigger migraine headaches.
Recommended Dosage For Drinking Soy Milk During Pregnancy
Since soy milk is packed with essential nutrients that you need in pregnancy, when taken in moderate quantity it causes no harm to the baby developing inside you.
- You can safely consume around four servings of soy milk daily.
- If you are not allergic to soy milk, one cup of soy milk is safe for your consumption.
Soy beans, no doubt, are good for your pregnancy, provided you have it in moderation. It is recommended to check with your doctor regarding soy milk consumption during pregnancy, as your immune system weakens during this time. Wrong consumption may develop risk of developing food borne disease for you as well as your unborn child.
[ Read: Which Milk Is Good For Pregnant Women ]
It is always better to be safe than sorry, follow the guidelines for a healthy diet and enjoy the best moment of your life. Don’t forget to share your views in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- Is It Safe To Eat Tofu During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Yogurt During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Soybeans During Pregnancy?
- Which Type Of Milk Should You Consume During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015