The moment you realize that you are pregnant; every little thing starts to matter. From the amount of food you eat to the time you spend in front of the television, everything goes through scrutiny, and rightly so.
Of all the factors that you give maximum importance to, your diet during those nine months is the one that tops the list. This is because every little morsel of food that you as pregnant consume reaches your fetus. In today’s world, where everything is so instant, is it okay for you to eat instant noodles during pregnancy? Let’s find out already!
Is It Safe To Eat Instant Noodles During Pregnancy?
According to medical experts, it is best to stay away from them.
- If you really must indulge, make sure there is no extra salt added.
- Include vegetables to make it nutritious.
- It’s best to keep the consumption to the very minimum.
Nutritional Value Of Instant Noodles
Noodles are made of wheat flour, starch, palm oil and salt. The flavoring powder contains monosodium glutamate, seasonings and sugar. They also contain preservatives. Sometimes wheat flour is replaced with buck wheat too.
|Instant Noodles (Raw)|
|Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)|
|Energy||1,895 kJ (453 kcal)|
|Dietary fiber||2.4 g|
|Thiamine (B1)||(61%) 0.7 mg|
|Riboflavin (B2)||(33%) 0.4 mg|
|Niacin (B3)||(36%) 5.4 mg|
|Folate (B9)||(37%) 147 μg|
|Iron||(33%) 4.3 mg|
|Potassium||(3%) 120 mg|
|Sodium||(77%) 1160 mg|
One package is 80 g
|Units μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams IU = International units|
|Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.|
[ Read: Eating Pasta During Pregnancy ]
The Dark Side of Instant Noodles: What Makes Them Harmful?
- Noodles are grouped under junk food as they contain high levels of carbohydrates and fat.
- They are very low on vitamins, proteins, fiber and minerals.
- One of the biggest concerns with noodles is the content of sodium in it.
- The current U.S. Recommended Dietary Allowance of sodium for adults and children over 4 years old is 1,500 mg/day.
- Typical cup-type instant noodles contain 2700 mg of sodium (per 100 g of edible portions).
- Pregnancy already involves the risk of high blood pressure. The extra amount of sodium intake can affect the baby negatively.
[ Read: 15 Healthy Recipes For Pregnant Women ]
Tips To Make Instant Noodles Healthier
Only possible way to make noodles a little healthier is by adding fresh vegetables and/or hard boiled eggs.
If you must indulge in noodles when you are pregnant, make sure that you include lot of fresh vegetables like peas, capsicums, tomatoes, potatoes etc. These vegetables also help in enriching the flavor of the noodles while upping the nutrition quotient.
- Nestle Maggi tops the lists for the most selling instant noodle brand in South Asian countries. Their atta noodles and multigrain noodles are relatively healthier.
- Also, Foodles by Horlicks is rated the healthiest of all instant noodles available in India.
- Knorr Soupy Noodles also contain a decent amount of vegetables.
- Another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the oil that is used in the preparation of noodles. Instant noodles require not more than one tablespoon of oil for garnishing (most people prefer this than just boiling it in water.) Make sure that the oil is fresh and clean. Ensure it hasn’t turned rancid.
- Always keep in mind that noodles that contain added vegetables are loaded with extra preservatives.
[ Read: Pizza During Pregnancy ]
We hope you now understand what you are feeding your unborn as you eat that bowl of noodles. Remember that at the end of the day, noodles are instant and junk food and best avoided for you and your baby’s health.
Before you decide to have a bowl though, make sure you talk about it with your doctor!
Share with us how you prefer eating your instant noodle during pregnancy:
- Is It Safe To Consume Pasta During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe to Eat Walnuts During Pregnancy?
- 4 Amazing Benefits Of Eating Chocolates During Pregnancy
- 8 Amazing Nutritional Benefits Of Eating Nuts During Pregnancy