Are you fond of the little shaped vegetables that are known to add essential nutrients in your diet? Well, if you are pregnant you need to be cautious and seek advice from your doctor before you incorporate them in your diet.
The two most common variants of sprouts – the mung bean and alfa alfa – are enjoyed lightly cooked or raw as well. The raw sprouts are known to be delicious and packed with nutrients that make them a healthy snacking option. However, the harmful bacteria contained in them are known to have ill effects during your pregnancy. This is why experts advise to stay away from them.
Hotels and eat-outs sprinkle raw sprouts on salads and sandwiches. When you are pregnant, ask to be served those dishes without the raw sprout, suggests US Federal Department of Agriculture (FDA).
Effects Of Eating Sprouts During Pregnancy:
There are several ill effects of having sprouts in pregnancy:
- Alfa alfa is known to give rise to complications because of e-coli bacteria.
- Beans, radish, clover are some examples of raw sprouts that are reported to result in salmonella caused by the bacteria contained in them.
- It is particularly suggested that you stay away from raw sprouts in your pregnancy after the salmonella outbreak from alfaalfa.
- As salmonella can proliferate very fast, a single sprout may contain infectious dose.
- You are likely to get the disease by consuming the contaminated seeds.
- Even though the seeds remain dormant in dry conditions, once they are sprouted in warm conditions the growth of bacteria gets activated.
- Symptoms of salmonella and e-coli include nausea, cramping, fever and diarrhea.
- The bacterium is likely to get transmitted to the new life developing inside you. It may also result in meningitis, fever and diarrhea in your growing child.
[ Read: Fever During Pregnancy ]
- Risks of ailments are high even in sprouts that are grown at home. As a matter of fact, sprouts that are grown at home are riskier than the commercial variants that use disinfectants.
- Commercial farmers use different products to sanitize the sprouts.
How To Control Cravings For Sprouts During Pregnancy?
Here is what you can do to stay safe when you crave for sprouts even though in small amounts:
- Rinse them thoroughly to remove bacteria.
- If you are eating sprouts in pregnancy, make sure it is well cooked.
- You must avoid it completely if your immune system is weak, as you are likely to develop food borne disease during this time.
Key Tips For Buying Sprouts:
How safe are sprouts for pregnant women? To ensure the sprouts you buy are safe and fresh, there are some general purchasing, storing and eating guidelines that you must follow:
- Buy sprouts that are fresh and kept in the refrigerator.
- Avoid sprouts that have a musty smell or look skinny.
- At home keep the sprouts at a temperature below 40 degree Fahrenheit.
- The refrigerator must be clean.
- Before using them, rinse and clean thoroughly.
- Cooking sprouts reduces chances of food borne disease.
- Cooked sprouts can be added to soups, fries and stews.
- If you are baking them in an oven, toss till they are brown and crisp.
[ Read: Soybeans During Pregnancy ]
The Final Word:
There is no denying the fact that sprouts are rich in vital nutrients. You must be careful of food poisoning and cook them well before consuming. In pregnancy it is better to avoid sprouts altogether.
[ Read: Sweet Corn During Pregnancy ]
Cross check with your healthcare provider if you can take sprouts at this time. He shall know the in an out of your pregnancy and give you the right suggestions.
Moms tell us the foods you particularly avoided in pregnancy in the comment section below.
Reference : 1
- 7 Health Benefits Of Eating Kidney Beans During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Sweet Corn During Pregnancy?
- 7 Unexpected Benefits Of Eating Ginger During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Eat Noodles During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Mushroom During Pregnancy?