Do you have questions rolling in your mind about eating tofu during pregnancy, whether it is safe or not? Will it harm your baby any way? Are there any negative effects of tofu? Well, it is very natural to get anxious over what you eat in pregnancy, as it is no longer about you only, but also the child developing inside you.
There is no denying the fact that tofu is rich in all essential nutrients that you need in pregnancy. However, since pregnancy is a crucial stage and your baby’s health is involved, you need to be careful and seek advice from your health care provider.
A Closer Look At Tofu
Tofu is a world of protein that looks like a fruitcake. These nuggets of soy are packed with nutrients that your body needs at this stage.
- Tofu is a kind of curd that is derived from milk in soybeans.
- The gelatinous texture of tofu does not have a flavor of its own. It easily takes the flavor of foods it is mixed with.
- Tofu is low in fat and can be a good substitute for creamy cheese or eggs.
- You can enjoy a creamier texture with silken tofu and can be added to soups.
- No matter what type of tofu you choose, you can enjoy amazing health benefits with it.
[ Read: Eating Yogurt During Pregnancy ]
Health Benefits Of Eating Tofu During Pregnancy
Tofu is often considered a complete food as it has all the 8 essential amino acids in it. According to the World’s Healthiest Foods, 1/4 ounce of tofu contains 9.16 gm of protein.
Here is a closer look at the other nutrients:
- Tofu is rich in manganese, copper and iron that must be added judiciously in your pregnant diet. Copper and iron helps in synthesis of hemoglobin in your body and is a good source of energy as well.
- It contains calcium in abundance that aids proper bone development in your unborn child. 4 ounce of tofu is said to contain 10% of the daily requirements.
- Fisk is a rich source of Omega 3 fatty acids, but if you are allergic to them, tofu can be a good replacement. The fatty acids help prevent blood clots and prevent cholesterol from clogging your arteries.
- Selenium helps generating free radicals and fights against cancer.
[ Read: Which Milk To Drink During Pregnancy ]
Negative Effects Of Eating Tofu While Pregnant
You cannot deny the fact that too much of nothing is good for you and this does not spare tofu as well. Despite the numerous benefits, you may encounter some negative effects with consumption of too much of it. Here are some effects of eating tofu when pregnant you should be watchful at:
- You should avoid tofu in pregnancy if you have thyroid. Tofu contains isoflavones that mimic estrogen. These tend to interfere with thyroid in some and result in further malfunctions in pregnancy.
- Consumption of too much of tofu is said to increase risks of breast cancer.
- However, you need to keep in mind that you can experience these negative effects only when you consume it in excess. Eating in moderation can help you reap amazing benefits from the super food.
[ Read: Soya Milk During Pregnancy ]
The basic principles of a healthy diet during pregnancy remain the same even after ages. You need healthy fats, lean protein, fruits, vegetables and whole grains to be in your best form at this stage. Don’t worry about the extra weight you put on, as you will shed all of them once your baby is born.
So, make sure you are not missing out on the key nutrients. Talk to your healthcare provider if you need any additional supplements. Share your experiences and thoughts about healthy eating practices in pregnancy in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Eat Soybeans During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Ghee During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Consume Sesame Seeds During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Eat Muskmelon During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015