Much is made of the radiant glow that illuminates a pregnant woman’s face. But the reality may be quite different. Hormonal changes can cause your skin to break out in spots, become dry or oily. Some women experience pigmentation, dark circles under the eyes, heat rashes, flaky skin etc. But are facials safe during pregnancy? If you’re a regular visitor to a beauty salon, it’s good to know whether you can continue this routine during pregnancy.
Getting a Facial During Pregnancy:
Since every woman wants to look her best during this most important phase in her life, she should take special care of her skin and hygiene. However, the health and well-being of the tiny life that’s growing within remains topmost in every expectant mother’s mind. Let’s look at some of the things you need to know about facials and pregnancy, starting with why they can be great for you:
- They’re relaxing and refreshing.
- You look like a million dollars.
- The compliments pour in and help you ignore the minor discomforts of pregnancy.
- Minor skin eruptions and rashes can be taken care of.
- Salon treatments can enhance sleep and relaxation.
Is A Facial Safe During Pregnancy?
Leading dermatologists and beauticians recommend that in general, a basic facial, without the use of harsh chemicals, heat treatments and long-drawn out massages, is quite safe. In fact, if you’re looking for a relaxing and refreshing time, a gentle facial can make you feel and look great.
However, it’s important to know that your skin absorbs all the chemicals that are applied to it; these can enter the bloodstream and ultimately your baby’s bloodstream too. Many salon treatments, to combat rashes or, skin discolorations are chemical based and may contain different combinations of benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, retinoids, etc. Though these may take care of your skin problems, pregnancy facials do have an impact on your baby’s health.
What Should Be Avoided At This Time?
Electric currents, extracting black-heads/tightening pores, light therapy, chemical peels, dermabrasion, plastic surgery, long massage sessions, heat and steam treatments should be the big no-no’s on your list while you’re pregnant.
Today, many salons advertise the fact that they use only “natural” or “organic” products. While this is certainly a better option, these products could cause allergies or discomfort. Some organic moisturizers contain soya-based ingredients which have estrogen-like effects and these are especially hazardous during the early trimesters.
Tips To Have A Safe Facial During Pregnancy:
If you’re looking for a soothing, relaxing and calming experience, a basic facial can certainly give you that feeling of being pampered. The caveat is to be aware of what products are being used and what kind of treatments you’re going in for.
- While making the appointment at your beauty salon, mention that you’re pregnant.
- Talk to your doctor and visit only a high-quality, reliable beautician in a clean, hygienic and safe salon.
- If it’s your first post-pregnancy facial, talk to the salon manager before-hand. Inform the staff who will be attending on you about your condition.
- Get a complete list of the products and ingredients.
- Discuss/understand the types of treatments.
- Firmly refuse: chemicals, harsh treatments, electric currents, light therapies, intensive massages etc.
- If you find your instructions not being adhered to, stop the treatment at once.
- Never use any skin-lightening agents or retinoid/salicylic acid containing products. Use only very mild bleaching agents or hair-removal creams.
Most pregnant women love the feeling of being pampered in a beauty salon and the attention and good vibes showered on them. With a little care and caution, facials during pregnnacy can be quite safe and enjoyable.
Share your experiences with salon facials.
- 10 Essential Beauty Tips For Pregnant Women
- Is It Safe To Hair Color During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Rebond Your Hair During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015