Who would think that something like getting a pedicure might need a second thought? But once a woman knows she’s pregnant, every little thing starts to matter a little more. If you find yourself asking a lot of questions on everything you do on a day to day basis, don’t worry – it’s normal and not only that, the right thing to do.
As they say, it is better to be safe than sorry, especially when it comes to your precious baby! Even though something as simple as a pedicure, that one undertakes as a part of the grooming routine, would seem pretty harmless, it is wise to consider the safety and health effects on the health of your unborn baby.
Pedicure During Pregnancy – Is It Safe?
Is pedicure safe during pregnancy? Yes! Pampering oneself often makes you as a woman feel better after your regular visit to the salon. There is no reason why you should not go to the salon and get your regular pedicure, even during pregnancy.
Every study and doctor would tell a pregnant woman that it is perfectly safe to get a pedicure done during pregnancy. It is has no side effects whatsoever on a woman or her baby. However, there are certain precautions all women should take during pregnancy due to heightened sensitivity, here are they:
- Chose A Good Salon: It is important to go to a salon that is not only clean, but offers personalized attention to their expecting customers, who need extra care. It should be well ventilated and airy along with a focus on customer comfort.
- Ensure Clean Kits: It is important to ensure that the pedicure tools that they use are well sterilized and clean to avoid any kind of infection due to any unforeseen injury with them. Some of these tools are sharp and have pointy heads and an extra caution is always better.
- Better To Carry Yourself: If in doubt take your own personal grooming kit when you go for a pedicure, just to be doubly sure. Find the salon that accepts your preferences and listens to your pregnancy concerns.
There are chances that some women become highly sensitive to the smell given off by the nail polish, nail polish removers, creams, soaps, etc., used for pedicures. If that happens to be the case, find a place that is well aired, and cross ventilation happens so that no irritation happens.
[ Read: Facial During Pregnancy ]
Pedicure – Pluses:
Pedicures in pregnancy, in fact, are a great way to relax your body and ensure that you get some rest.
- As your tummy grows bigger, the ability to bend and take care of your legs and feet reduces to some extent. A pedicure can be your rescue during such a delicate time.
- Pedicures help women get rid of the all the dirt, dead skin and cleans the feet properly.
- Can soothe sore feet since you are not able to attend them properly.
- It also provides relaxation as light massaging helps improve circulation and reduce swelling.
[ Read: Manicure During Pregnancy ]
Pedicure – Caution:
It is perfectly safe to get pedicure and manicure during pregnancy. But there are certain factors you should keep in mind.
- Avoid massaging the area between the ankle bone and heel as it has certain acupressure points that could trigger contractions.
- If you are highly allergic or have developed a heightened sensitivity to smell, chose a well-ventilated salon with trained professionals and courteous people.
[ Read: Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy ]
So go ahead and get the pedicure done! While it helps your feet look cleaner, gets your confidence level and feel good-factor rising, it is also a great way to relax your body, mind and soul through simple steps.
Moms, if you have any interesting stories about pedicures and pregnancy, don’t forget to share them in the section below!
- 11 Precautions To Take Care While Doing A Manicure During Pregnancy
- 6 Risks & 3 Precautions While Getting A Tattoo During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Rebond Your Hair During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Color Your Hair During Pregnancy?