From clothes and diet to bathroom schedules and sleepless nights, there’s a lot a woman undergoes during the pregnancy period.
Pregnancy is nothing short of a life changing experience for a woman. Take your sleeping position, for instance. You may be used to sleeping on your front throughout your life, and suddenly, as your belly starts to grow in size, you’re not able to find a comfortable position to sleep. Further, it’s no help now that you find yourself rushing to the washroom after every few hours to empty your bladder and face nausea and morning sickness practically every single day of your first trimester.
First, it is only for a few months, so relax! Second, equipping yourself with awareness goes a long way in soothing your fears, so pep yourself with positive thinking. Here we’ve put down everything you need to know about sleeping on your stomach during pregnancy, and bought you some simple and cool tips to sleep better during pregnancy.
Sleeping On Stomach During Pregnancy – Is It Safe
Sleeping in this position is NOT recommended for prolonged durations, as it could affect your blood circulation, which could be harmful for your baby. Experts recommend pregnant women to avoid sleeping on their tummy, especially during the second and third trimesters. Your baby, now growing rapidly, may get pressed against the vena cava, which is the main vein that carries blood back to your heart from your lower body.
So, Can You Sleep On Your Back Then?
Ah, wait! Just because we said no sleeping on your tummy, do not plan to sleep on your back either.
Experts believe that sleeping on the back too, is not really good during pregnancy. Studies have found how sleeping on the back, especially for longer periods could restrict the flow of blood and other essential nutrients to your baby. What’s more, it could also leave you feeling nauseous and dizzy.
Tips to Sleep Better During Pregnancy:
So how can you sleep then? One of the best positions to sleep in during your pregnancy period is to sleep on your side. This ensures maximum flow of blood and nutrients to your baby which helps it grow and develop properly.
- If you’re still tossing and turning in bed, and are unable to find a comfortable position to sleep in, here are some ideas, and you’ll surely get a good night’s sleep.
- Use supportive cushions and pillows to make yourself comfortable; you can place them where you need extra support or enclosure.
- Try calming down a few minutes before bedtime. Spend some time alone relaxing and getting your body ready to sleep.
- Play some relaxing and soothing music if you’re really finding it tough to sleep.
- It is also a good idea to take a warm bath a few minutes before bedtime. It’ll calm down frazzled nerves and will help you sleep better.
- Ask your partner to give you a relaxing massage. Ask him not to target any particular points on the body; just a soft massage should do the job!
- Get into a consistent routine, by going to bed at the same time every night. This will help you sleep peacefully and almost instantly.
Are you in the early stages of your pregnancy? Is it advisable sleeping on stomach in early pregnancy? It’s better to change your sleeping style at this early time itself, to make it easier for you during your second and third trimesters.
What is your opinion on sleeping on stomach during pregnancy? Do you have interesting sleeping experiences and tips for other would-be-mommies? Share them in the comment section below:
- 3 Important Sleeping Positions During Pregnancy – First Trimester
- 6 Essential Tips To Enhance Sleeping During Pregnancy – Second Trimester
- 7 Important Sleeping Positions During The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy
- 5 Simple Tips To Handle Your Sleep Problems During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Shahida (see all)
- Is It Safe To Wear A Bra During Pregnancy? - June 30, 2017
- Top 10 Hanukkah Crafts And Activities For Kids - August 2, 2014
- 6 Best Precautions To Take During The First Trimester Of Pregnancy - July 14, 2014
- Is It Safe To Use A Mobile Phone During Pregnancy? - July 9, 2014
- Is It Safe To Consume Evening Primrose Oil During Pregnancy? - July 2, 2014
- 10 Different Types Of Braces For Kids - June 30, 2014
- 10 Super-Spooky Ghost Stories For Your Kids - June 30, 2014
- 6 Best Healthy And Nutritional Snacks For Preschoolers - June 27, 2014
- 10 Beautiful Places To Enjoy With Your Kids In India - June 6, 2014
- 10 Effective Measures To Prevent Itching During Pregnancy - June 6, 2014