When you are pregnant, one of the best part that you can look forward to for most of those special months is that glow on your skin. What you may also notice and may not necessarily be comfortable with, is the noticeable increase in hair growth. While many changes in pregnancy can be pleasing and exciting, hair growth is certainly not.
You might be obviously fraught with questions like how safe it is to use hair removal cream during pregnancy. Well, it is important that you have sufficient knowledge of the subject before you proceed with it.
How Safe Is Using The Hair Removal Creams During Pregnancy?
Hormonal changes in pregnancy result in increase in hair growth during pregnancy. The problem of increased hair growth goes away after 6 months, once you have given birth to your baby.
Let us look into the safety concerns linked with use of hair removal cream while pregnant:
- Look for minor irritations when you use the hair removing creams. If your skin is sensitive, you might develop rashes using them.
- Hair removing creams contain active chemicals that act by breaking your hair from your skin.
- Safety concerns arise with the chemical exposure during pregnancy. The chemicals after entering your skin penetrate your bloodstream that carries chemicals to the baby developing inside you.
- Fumes from these chemicals when inhaled can also give rise to certain complications. Doctors suggest that in rare cases, you may also suffer from allergic reactions.
- To be on the safer side, it is better to bear with the increased hair growth in your pregnancy, if you want to stay away from all sorts of chemicals.
Other methods such as epilating, waxing, tweezing and shaving are safer options that you can try.
[ Read : Nair During Pregnancy ]
Chemicals In Hair Removing Creams:
Since it is always better to be well-informed, take a look at the chemicals that penetrate your skin, when you apply the hair removing creams:
- Even the good brands contain some harsh chemicals.
- The standard ingredients in most of these creams are calcium thioglycolate and barium sulfide powder.
- These chemicals work by breaking the keratin in your hair. This separates your hair from your skin.
- You might have to apply the creams twice to remove all traces of hair.
[ Read : Facial During Pregnancy ]
Since safety of using hair removal creams during pregnancy are still questionable, it is important that you take the following precautionary measures:
- Read the instructions and warnings in the label. Reading the label on the tubes can help you know about the safety of its use during pregnancy.
- Do apply in a small area first and test if you can safely use it.
- Do not keep the cream on your skin for too long.
- It is better to use a hypo-allergic product.
[ Read : Manicure During Pregnancy ]
- Avoid applying the cream in irritated skin, wounds and cuts.
- The products may have a strong odour, so use the creams in a well-ventilated area. This way you can reduce chances of suffocation and nausea.
- Speak to your doctor about the safety of its use in pregnancy. Remember it is better to be safe than sorry. You will surely not want to do anything that harms your baby.
It is better to head for a beauty salon, where experts know the right way to remove unwanted hair from your body during your pregnancy. The experts will examine your skin and apply antiseptic lotion to your skin, if they find it sensitive.
[ Read : Pedicure During Pregnancy ]
You have every right to look good and feel beautiful in pregnancy. However, remember to be safe and avoid unwanted complications.
Moms share with us how you removed unwanted hair during your pregnancy in the comment section below.
- Is It Safe To Use A Mobile Phone During Pregnancy?
- Is Microwave Usage Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Laptop Or Computer During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015