Pregnant women love to be indulged! If you are pregnant, come on, admit it… you love to be pampered at this time. Be it coloring your hair or the belly art, henna is a popular choice during pregnancy. Some baby showers even have Henna theme!
And when there is a celebrations at home, applying henna has become a mandatory part and you are probably thinking whether it is safe to use henna during pregnancy.
Henna In Pregnancy:
If you are pregnant with no special medical complications, it is absolutely safe to use henna.
- Henna has a long history with beauty. Henna or Lawsonia Inermis is a tropical bush that produces natural red dye.
- A native of North Africa and Middle East, henna has been a part of a 9000 year old tradition in these countries.
- Just make sure that you choose 100 percent natural henna that turns skin yellow, orange, red, brown, cinnamon, brick, coffee or chocolate in color.
- Do not use henna that comes black in color as this is NOT a natural option.
[ Read: Hair Color During Pregnancy ]
Exceptions To Using Henna During Pregnancy:
Do not use henna if you or any of your existing children have the following conditions:
- G6DP deficiency.
- Conditions that impact blood or immune system directly.
Black Henna – A Big NO:
Is black henna safe for pregnant women? This is a complete no-no while pregnant. Find here why
- This variant of henna contains para – phenylendiamine (PPD).
- This PPD has been reported to causes burns, blisters and other reactions that are not safe for pregnant women.
- Make sure you check the henna you plan to buy with great care before applying.
[ Read: Manicure During Pregnancy ]
Tips For Applying Henna During Pregnancy:
While you can safely go ahead and indulge in henna during normal conditions, keep an active alert on how your skin or body responds to the same after the application.
- Make sure that you stop the application immediately as soon as you notice the odd symptoms.
- While applying henna, lying in comfortable positions that makes resting your belly in a right manner is very crucial.
- You will also avoid any kind of cramping because of wrong posture.
When To Seek Medical Help?
Is henna safe during pregnancy? Henna is usually safe, but do give a call to your doctor as soon as you experience the below red flags on applying henna on any part of your body:
[ Read: Nausea During Pregnancy ]
Henna Vs Hair Dye:
During pregnancy, it is always safe to go for a natural henna rather than chemical hair dyes while coloring your hair.
- Commercial dyes are made with strong chemicals that are not safe for you or your baby.
- There are studies that indicate the usage of these dyes to lead to adverse health manifestations like allergies, terminal illnesses and even cancers.
- Make sure you buy top quality natural henna while using for your hair or the belly art.
Popularity Of Henna Belly Art:
Belly art with henna is an ancient tradition followed in countries like Morocco and Middle East. Now, henna belly art is more of a fashion and obsession even in the west.
- This art was initially practiced with a superstition to apply the red henna on the belly to ward off evil eyes and spirits.
- There are pregnant women who have incorporated a long henna belly art sessions for themselves and their girl friends during baby showers.
- If you love this art, please do go ahead and indulge as long as the above safe parameters are followed.
If you have any pre-existing medical conditions, it is always better to consult with your doctor and discuss the idea of henna. This is to primarily rule out any contraindications that your body may develop with henna due to your past history. Otherwise, go ahead, apply some henna and welcome the motherhood!
Have some exciting henna stories to share? Why don’t you share them with the fellow mommies to be out here. Leave your comments below.
- Is It Safe To Use Acrylic Nails During Pregnancy?
- 6 Risks & 3 Precautions While Getting A Tattoo During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Get Facials During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Get A Pedicure During Pregnancy?
- 11 Precautions To Take Care While Doing A Manicure During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Deepa Balasubramanian (see all)
- 6 Useful Tips To Store Formula Milk For Your Baby - June 30, 2017
- Cervical Mucus And Ovulation - Everything You Need To Know - January 9, 2015
- Can You Ovulate More Than Once Per Month Or Cycle? - December 31, 2014