Are you careful about your toddler’s diet and vaccinations? Do you dread that your playful toddler may contract infections at his preschool? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a must!
Protecting the health of your child may be your top priority but fighting contagious infections is always a Herculean task. Have you heard about Scabies? It is a common skin infection that can cause a lot of discomfort to your precious toddler. Want to know more about the symptoms of scabies in toddlers,treatment and prevention? Read on!
What Is Scabies ?
Small mites that dig tunnels on the skin’s surface cause Scabies, an itchy skin condition. Scabies can affect babies, kids and even adults.
Common Causes Of Scabies In Toddlers:
Scabies is not an infection but an infestation of Sarcoptes scabiei on the outer layer of the skin. These mites tend to burrow and enter the skin, which leads to the appearance of rashes.These are called scabies rashes on toddlers.The infestation is contagious and spreads through contact. Outbreaks of this skin disease are common in schools and kindergartens. Unlike the common presumption, Scabies has nothing to do with poor personal hygiene (1).
[ Read: Eczema In Toddlers ]
Symptoms Of Scabies:
The symptoms of Scabies start to appear after the mite enters the skin and grows there. Normally, it takes 2-6 weeks for the body to show any symptoms. However, an individual who has previously been affected by Scabies can experience symptoms within four days. Here are some common signs of scabies in toddlers :
- Itching, which tends to worsen at night.
- Rashes and bumps on the skin.
- Sores due to scratching the itchy rash.
- Development of thick crust on the skin, which occurs due to a severe case of Scabies.
These symptoms usually appear between the fingers and around the nails or body parts that are not visible due to wearing clothes or jewelry. The rashes may also affect your toddler’s elbows and wrists.Scabies rash on toddler will cause irritation and keep him awake.
In toddlers and children, the itching due to Scabies can be unbearable and keep them awake at night (2).
[ Read: Symptoms Of Chickenpox In Toddlers ]
Treatment For Scabies:
The doctor may be able to diagnose Scabies after examining the rash and obtaining a skin sample from the affected area. He may prescribe medications for your toddler. He may also recommend topical application of certain lotions over his body to soothe his skin.
Many experts recommend treating the entire family for the disease, even if certain members aren’t experiencing any symptoms yet.
You could also trim your toddler’s fingernails to make sure he doesn’t damage his skin while scratching it. If the itching is too severe, the doctor may also prescribe antihistamines to provide relief from the itching sensation. If your child develops a bacterial infection due to repetitive scratching, the paediatrician may also prescribe antibiotics (3).
[ Read: Treating Heat Rash In Toddlers ]
Tips To Prevent Scabies:
The best way to prevent Scabies is to avoid direct physical contact with the patient. It is also important to note that mites that cause Scabies can transmit through clothing, bedding, etc. Hence, it is a good idea to avoid sharing personal belongings if anyone is suffering from Scabies in the family (4).
Make sure you wash all the bedding and clothing of your little toddler in hot water. Also, put away all other items that you cannot wash to minimize the spread of the infection (5).
Remember to seek your doctor’s advice immediately if you notice any rash on your toddler’s delicate skin.
Did your child suffer from Scabies? What did you do to provide him some relief from the incessant itching? Please share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- German Measles In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 7 Serious Symptoms Of Asthma In Toddlers You Should Be Aware Of
- Lead Poisoning In Babies/Toddlers – 6 Causes, 7 Symptoms & 2 Treatments
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015