A scavenger hunt is one of the best ways to engage a child’s brain. It requires your child to use their communication skills and be a team player. Your children learn to solve different problems both independently and with the help of their teams. No matter how old your child is, they are sure to enjoy a well-organized scavenger hunt.
A scavenger hunt involves hiding objects or clues in strategic places and making up riddles for your children to solve. While you can hide the clues or objects anywhere you fancy, coming up with good riddles is pretty tricky. The perfect riddle should neither be too difficult nor too easy to solve.
We have come up with the best scavenger hunt riddles for kids. Share these with them and have a great time.
60 Scavenger Hunt Riddles For Kids
We have included riddles for both indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts so that you are covered for all occasions.
Indoor Scavenger Hunt Riddles
These riddles are for those times when your children cannot step outside to play, such as when raining. They also make them move their bodies so that some of their energy is expended while being indoors.
1. You’ll find me in the kitchen,
You cannot eat me,
But Scotty, the dog, loves to greet me.
Ans: Dog food
2. When you are tired, you use me.
I have four legs but no feet.
Ans: A chair
3. I don’t go out, and I don’t play,
I stay at home quietly all day.
And when you come home covered with mud,
I clean you first, without uttering a word.
Ans: A doormat
4. I have a neck but no head,
I wear a pretty cap instead.
Ans: A bottle
5. You might take me in the morning, evening, or night,
But I remain here day in day out. Try to “take” me as you might.
Ans: A shower
6. I have a ring but no finger,
When I shout, my voice does linger.
Ans: A telephone/ a cell phone
7. I start with an “e,” and I end with an “e”
But I contain only one letter.
Ans: An envelope
8. You will find words in me
Between my pages, you will discover
The meaning of the words.
Ans: The dictionary
9. I need a pick to make a sound,
I have six ears and a big belly.
Ans: A guitar
10. I have eyes, but I cannot see.
I am friendly with everyone, and children love me.
11. My keys make a sound.
12. I am a rainbow in a box.
Ans: A box of crayons
13. You buy me for eating, but you cannot eat me.
Ans: A plate
14. I am black and white, and I give you news every morning.
15. I grow shorter as I get older.
Ans: A candle
16. Soft and plump, I am there at your head,
If you don’t like me there, you can hug me instead.
17. I am brown
I give adults their energy in the morning.
18. Every day, you step on me,
All I require is the bend of the knee.
19. Round and round I go like a wheel,
Open me up to find your clothes clean.
Ans: Washing machine
20. I warm your food, and I make popcorn.
Don’t put your hand in me; I can give you quite a burn.
21. I have no mouth and no nose
But I do have a face
I have two hands and sometimes three
But no legs and no toes.
22. When you buy me, I am black.
When you use me, I am red.
When you throw me away, I am gray.
23. When I am off, I am boring.
When I am on, I have a hundred colors within me.
What am I?
24. You use me between your head and your toes
The more I work, the thinner I grow.
25. I stand quietly against the wall,
You hardly notice me though I am tall.
My stomach contains all your treats,
Candies, jellies, and juice.
26. When the sun goes down, I wake up
I can’t compete with the sun, but I am enough on my own
Rub me, and a genie might appear.
27. I have four legs,
I might be short or tall,
Put your food on me; they will not fall.
28. Every day, you come home tired, I welcome you on my chest,
I caress you and comfort your
I know your inner thoughts best.
29. You use me when you have had too much to eat
Don’t worry, I’ll clean up
Just take a seat.
30. I am bigger than a phone but smaller than a TV
I work quite well and entertain you.
Outdoor Scavenger Hunt Riddles
Outdoor scavenger hunts are a must during a picnic or a family get-together. Let the children figure out the riddles and see them run around happily in the open air.
31. I get bigger when I eat and weaker when I drink.
32. I am the invention that allows you to look through walls.
33. I make the air fresh, and I am strong,
But people don’t understand
Tell them they are wrong.
34. I stand in a corner
I am the star of the show,
Hop on, use your legs, and watch me go.
35. I protect you from the cold, rain, and wind,
Put me on and become thick-skinned.
36. You need me in every home
I am sturdy and strong,
I am made of wood and metal
Sometimes, I have a gong.
37. Here I come, and there I go.
I take you safely to your place,
I have a body but no face.
38. Switch me on, and darkness will be gone.
I fit in your hand and switch on and off on your command.
39. You can find me on a hook
If you know where exactly to look.
40. I never ask questions
But I am always answered.
41. I tell only the truth and never any falsehood,
Stand before me and see yourself as you should.
42. Within me, I have an age-old stench,
Which sometimes makes my stomach clench.
The dirtiest are in me; that’s what I do,
Old and worn and sometimes new.
Ans: Shoe closet
43. Nice and fat is how you love me,
Lose track of me, and I will lose all that’s inside me.
44. I cannot be seen
I can be low or high
I travel through walls and screens
If you lose me, you’ll let out a big sigh.
45. What repeats your words but is not an echo?
Ans: A parrot
46. Open me and look what I hide,
I have your favorite things inside.
47. Open me in the morning, close me at night,
I will keep your secrets out of sight.
48. Sometimes I bring good news
Sometimes I am filled with junk,
Open me carefully and shut me with a clunk.
49. I hold your dirt,
I am not neat,
You will often find me on the street.
Ans: Garbage can
50. Tall and short
We come in all colors,
Without us, the world would be dull
51. Sometimes we are above,
Sometimes we are down,
We are of many colors and form a splendid crown.
52. Stretch me far or roll me up,
Use me well to wash your pup.
Ans: Garden hose
53. Round and big,
Grey or black,
Fill me up,
I will take you to places.
54. Hot dogs and hamburgers galore,
Put chicken on me for something more.
55. Here is a small house that looks quite cool
Clean it up after you return from school.
56. Back and forth I take you,
Higher and higher you fly.
57. Black and white or red and blue,
When the wind blows, I wave to you.
58. I light up when you want to go,
Two eyes I make and shine bright and low.
59. I can be flat, thin, or round,
I come in many colors,
Just pick me up from the ground.
60. I eat grass for breakfast
But my stomach is filled with gas.
These riddles are pretty simple for children to solve. You could customize them for children of all ages to make sure you are covered in all events. If you wish to be a bit more adventurous, you can combine these indoor and outdoor scavenger hunts so that your children run in and out of the house in glee.
- Basic GK Questions And Answers For Kids
- Easy Trivia Questions And Answers For Kids
- Interesting Never-Have-I-Ever Questions For Kids
- Easy Disney Trivia Questions And Answers For Kids