Are you looking forward to getting that fake tan and transform into a yummy mummy? Do you want to try using some products that can help you get that perfect sun-kissed glow while nursing your baby indoors? Do you want to know whether is self tanner safe while breastfeeding and use these self-tanning products? If you are a new mom, who is keen to get the bronze beach diva look go ahead and give this article a read!
What Is A Self Tanner?
A self-tanner, as the name suggests, is a way of getting a fake tan without any exposure to the sun. Self-tanners come in different forms, such as cream or gel. As more and more reports talk about the harmful effects of sun and tanning beds that can also lead to cancer, self-tanning products have gained more popularity than ever before (1).
What Are The Different Ways Of Getting A Self-Tan?
There are various methods of getting a self-tan, but while you are breastfeeding, it is important first to seek a nod of approval from your doctor to safeguard your health and the development of your breastfeeding baby.
Here are some common methods of self-tanning. Take a look to know whether you can safely use them while breastfeeding or not:
1. A Self-Tanning Bed:
There is no medical evidence to show that it is unsafe to use a self-tanning bed while you are breastfeeding.
- Using a self-tanning bed will not adversely affect the quantity and quality of your breastmilk.
- You can choose to cover your breasts while you are lying in the self-tanning bed, as it will prevent any accidental burning or scarring and rule out any discomfort while nursing your little one.
- To be doubly sure that you are safe, make sure you do not use the tanning bed for a long period.
2. Self-Tanning Lotions, Creams, Gels Or Sprays:
Instead of using a tanning bed, you can also try other self-tanning options like using a tanning cream, gel, spray or lotion. As of now, there is no medical evidence to show that using these tanning bottles while breastfeeding could have a negative effect on your health or the growth of your baby.
- Whether you use a tanning lotion, cream, gel or spray, it is important to make sure that you do not accidentally apply them on or around your nipples and areola.
- Let the sunless tanning product dry completely, it could take anything between 45 minutes and an hour, or sometimes even longer. You should breastfeed your baby only once the tanning product is completely dry.
- As a precaution, you can avoid application of a tanning product over your breast area completely.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Detox While Breastfeeding ]
In this way, you will be sure that your baby will not come into direct contact with any residual sunless tanning product on your breasts while breastfeeding.
Although, research is yet to prove the side effects of using a self-tanning product while you are breastfeeding, it is best to avoid the same for the time being. You can instead try adding a bronzer to your makeup kit to get that flawless faux glow while breastfeeding. Also, make sure you speak to your doctor first before trying out any self-tanning method or product, no matter how harmless or popular it may be. Remember, any harsh chemical you use during this delicate phase can take a toll on the health and well-being of both you and your baby.
Did you try a self tanner while breastfeeding? Which product did you choose? Did your baby suffer from any side effect? Please share your experience and advice with other moms here.
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Smoke During Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Take Painkillers While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Safe To Undergo Dental Treatment While Breastfeeding?
- Is It Legal To Breastfeed In Public?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016