Do you wish to enhance your child’s learning through sensory activities? Are you looking for ways to help him engage more with his senses? If you nodded along in agreement, then you should consider reading our post. Here we look at some ideas for sensory activities for children.
Benefits of Sensory Activities for Kids:
Most of us can associate a happy childhood memory with a certain smell or sound. The delicious wafts from your grandmother’s kitchen and the gooeyness of the dough that you would use to play games are some examples of memories best recalled through the greater association with our senses.
Sensory activities can help kids in many ways. Some of them include:
- Sensory activities aids in the development of kids’ motor skills.
- Such activities support their linguistic development.
- Sensory activities help enhance their memory.
- Sensory play helps kids develop confidence about exploring new and unfamiliar things.
- Such activities help kids express themselves in a better way.
[ Read: Fine Motor Skills Activities For Kids ]
Sensory Activity Ideas for Kids:
Here are ten amazing ideas for kids sensory activities that you can use for your child’s growth and development.
1. Color Play:
Set aside an afternoon to paint clay pots with your child. Better still – pick pebbles from the garden/beach/riverbed and paint them as you wish. If this is not possible then you can buy pebbles of different sizes from craft stores and help him create a colorful path for your garden.
2. Grocery Shopping:
Seek your child’s help when buying groceries. Schedule a visit to a farmer’s market or a grocery store and let him touch the leafy greens, ripe fruits and assorted vegetables to explore these items through the sense of touch.
[ Read: Educational Activities For Kids ]
3. Molding Time:
Bake cookies together. Use play dough to create designs. Let your child use his imagination to shape dough with his hands in any way he wants to shape them.
[ Read: Shape Learning Activities For Kids ]
4. Nature Visit:
Plan a visit to a botanical garden, flower show or nursery. Let your kid indulge his olfactory senses with nature. When in the nursery, seek your child’s assistance to buy new flowering plants for your garden. Let him also explore manure and soil samples through the sense of smell.
5. Taste and Tell:
This is one of the interesting early childhood sensory activities. Try new recipes at home and then ask your kid to identify all ingredients with each morsel.
6. Puzzle Maker:
Puzzles are a great way to engage the sense of sight. Instead of buying puzzle books or games, create your custom puzzle depending on his preferences. If he likes animals, use paper and colored pencils to create connect-the-dot puzzles with story narratives. When all the dots connect, help him narrate the story you told through the images.
[ Read: Creative Activities For Kids ]
7. No Eyes and Seek:
Play the blindfold game with him to let him identify food items based on their smell. Plan the game with his friends or your family for maximum fun.
8. Musical Lessons:
This is one fun sensory activity for kids. Sing songs together. Visit stores selling musical instruments. Explore sounds you can produce from common household items such as wooden table, metal furniture, etc.
9. Food Categories:
Make different sauces with ingredients like mustard, tomatoes, onion, mint, dried fruits and fruits. Ask him to categorize each sauce as they taste such as bitter, pungent, sour, sweet and bland.
10. Make Noise:
Record sounds of the oceans, the chirping of different birds, voices of cartoon characters and other interesting sounds around you or in nature. Ask your kid to listen and identify each sound.
You don’t need to spend a lot of money or time to develop creative sensory activities for your child. Look for inspiration in everyday things around you. For instance, engage him in kitchen activities with you. From the crunch of a vegetable to its texture, smell, and taste, he can engage all of his senses with this one activity.
How do you plan sensory activities for kids? We would love to hear your ideas and suggestions on the topic. Leave a comment below.
- Top 10 Sleepover Ideas For Kids
- Top 10 Lego Activities For Kids
- Top 10 Interesting Hanukkah Crafts & Activities For Your Kids
- Top 10 Indoor Activities For Children
Latest posts by Rakhee M (see all)
- Meningococcal Vaccine – Everything You Need To Know - March 7, 2016
- Hemorrhagic Disease Of The Newborn – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - February 29, 2016
- Prednisone For Kids - Side Effects, Dosage & Precautions - February 3, 2016
- Relaxin Hormone During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know - January 29, 2016
- How To Teach Your Child About Stranger Danger? - January 28, 2016
- Alpha-Fetoprotein Test During Pregnancy - Purpose, Procedure & Results - January 28, 2016
- Is Celexa (Citalopram) Safe While Breastfeeding? - January 22, 2016
- 3 Simple & Useful Survival Tips For A Single Mom - January 20, 2016
- 5 Easy & Effective Anger Management Tips For Parents - January 19, 2016
- Growth Scan During Pregnancy – Everything You Need To Know - December 30, 2015