A professional sewing machine is a powerful tool that lets you create beautiful garments for the kids. But when handled by a child, it can become a dangerous thing.
If you have a sewing machine at home, then your kids may want to use it to make clothes for their dolls or a project. Rather than letting them use your sewing machine, get them a one that they can use safely.
There are sewing machines specifically designed for use by children, depending on their age and usage. In this post, MomJunction lists a few best sewing machines for kids. They are safe and easy to use.
Types of Sewing Machines For Kids
Kids’ sewing machines are similar to the standard sewing machines in terms of functionality but differ in the number of stitches.
- Beginner: If your child is a beginner, then a sewing machine with a dozen stitches is the ideal choice.
- Intermediate level: If your child already knows sewing and needs to explore the different techniques of stitching, then upgrade to an embroidery-only machine. It helps them get creative with new ideas and designs and improve their artistic skills.
- Advanced level: If the child has good control on the thread tension, then an entry-level serger sewing machine is apt for them. It uses multiple threads and is kid-friendly.
Next, we tell you how to pick the right type of sewing machine for your child.
Features To Look For While Buying A Sewing Machine For Kids
Choosing the right sewing machine is necessary for your child’s safety. Here are a few points you must consider before buying one.
- Check for the feet pedal: Ensure that the sewing machine has a foot pedal attached to it. Check if it attaches properly or breaks while removing. The machine should be lightweight and compact too.
- Speed control: Check for models that have sliders to control the speed, as most kids may not be comfortable using the feet pedal. Also, you can choose a model that has both the features, to help the child gradually progress from using a slider to using only the feet pedal.
- Safety: The most important thing to check is if the machine is safe for your child to use. You do not want your kid to get hurt when using it. So choose those that come with a drop-in-bobbin as it has a metal frame and can hold more threads. This reduces the need to refill the bobbin multiple times.
- Easy stitching: To make the activity more fun, look for models that come with a built-in needle threader. It makes it easier for the child to get creative with different patterns and designs, without worrying about the thread.
- Impressive looks: Kids have a fascination for cartoon or superhero characters. Look for one with an impressive design featuring their favorite characters.
Keep reading for a list of the best sewing machines for children.
15 Best Sewing Machines For Kids
It is an effective sewing machine with 15 built-in stitches and a 4-step buttonhole. The machine has adjustable stitch-length and zigzag-width for customization of clothes. This sewing machine comes with heavy duty interior metal frames, which makes it perfect for heavier projects.
- Compact and lightweight
- Great for beginners
- Comes with an easy-to-follow instruction manual
- Includes removable free-arm and dual-retractable spool pins
- Comes with beginners’ accessories
- Allows free motion quilting
- Too bright and flashy exterior
- Doesn’t have a thread cutter and a proper bobbin design
It is a free arm sewing machine that is perfect for various sewing projects. It includes 27 built-in-stitches along with blind hem, decorative, zigzag, and stretch stitches. Its maximum sewing speed is 800 stitches per minute. It also features a brightly lit LED workspace.
- Useful for both beginners and advanced level users
- Very easy to use
- Lightweight and portable
- Impressive design
- Comes with an automatic thread cutter
- You get an instruction DVD to make setting-up easier for beginners
- The foot pedal is sensitive, so sewing at medium speed becomes difficult.
- The LED light is not very bright.
This sewing machine comes with 19 built-in stitches and a built-in 4-step buttonhole. Its heavy-duty metal frame makes the sewing quick and easy. The free arm helps to reach the difficult-to-reach areas like cuffs, pant hems, and collars.
- It can sew several layers of thick fabric.
- Comes with a dial for stitch selection.
- Adjustable stitch length and zigzag width.
- Comes with a zipper foot for piping, cording, adding zippers, and more.
- It has automatic needle threader.
- Warranted for use in the US and Canada at 110 volts only.
It is a basic model that allows stitching in one straight line. The sewing machine is made of environmental-friendly material. It comes with a foot pedal with two speeds. Its built-in winding pole and spool help in rewinding the bobbin when the machine is turned on.
- It is kid-friendly
- Comes with a built-in lamp and thread cutter
- The extension table makes stitching smooth
- It is durable
- Runs on electricity and batteries
- Offers only one stitch
This electric sewing machine is an excellent pick for beginners. The foot pedal allows you to choose between two speeds. It comes with 12 built-in stitches and a needle threader. It is also suitable for complex stitching.
- Portable design and easy to use
- It is ideal for beginners as well as advanced users
- Perfect for DIY and small projects
- Two controllable speeds
- Compact and affordable
- It jams sometimes
It is a compact, entry-level model in sewing machines, which makes it a perfect pick for the kids. Its mechanical features include 12 built-in-stitches, a high presser foot lift, and a four-step buttonhole. It comes with a dial for selecting the pattern as well as the stitch length and width adjustments can also be done with it for easy sewing.
- Compact and lightweight
- Great stitch quality
- It is user-friendly
- A great choice for beginners
- It is noisy
- Needs manual tension adjustment
- Number of stitch options is limited
A practical piece that makes a perfect gift for your kid. Available in red, it is a 15-stitch machine with adjustable stitch length. It comes with an internal aluminum frame that makes it capable of heavy duty sewing.
- It is portable and takes up a little storage space
- It is easy to thread
- It has two retractable vertical spool pins
- The free arm feature gives easy access to difficult-to-reach areas like cuffs, pant hems, and collars
- Its reverse stitching feature enables hassle-free hemming
- It doesn’t have an automatic thread cutter
- Doesn’t come with a built-in needle threader
- Useful only for beginners
This sewing machine for kids comes with a Disney theme. It has 17 built-in stitches that can be selected through the built-in dial. Its free arm feature enables easy sewing of cuffs and sleeves.
- High performing
- Ideal for beginners
- It is jam-resistant
- Comes with four interchangeable Disney faceplates
- Includes a Disney dust cover
- It does not have a built-in needle threader
- Comes with a foot pedal for speed control
It is an elegant and easy-to-use sewing machine suitable for kids interested in stitching. The maximum sewing speed of this machine is 850 stitches per minute. It offers consistent stitch quality and includes designer features, finishing solutions, and six specialty feet.
- Offers custom results
- It is designed for professional use and is reliable
- Comes with easy threading of both top thread and bobbin
- Let’s you customize clothing with built-in-clothing, heirloom, decorative, and quilting stitches
- Delivers high-quality stitching
- Parts are expensive
- Some may feel it is more useful for advanced users
It is a computerized machine, which performs both sewing and embroidery. It comes with 310 stitch patterns that include 32 utility, 84 decorative and two full alphabet lettering. It makes sewing fun for kids.
- Controlling speed is easy
- Comes with a wide choice of built-in-stitches
- Includes memory functions to save stitch combinations
- Press the button to start and stop; also has an auto stop/lock button
- It has an automatic thread cutter
- Includes an extension table
- Worth the price for performance
- Too many features can confuse the beginners
It is a portable sewing machine that comes with 23 built-in stitches and one step buttonhole. Its metal frame makes it an appropriate choice for heavy duty stitching. Automatic needle threader and automatic reverse stitching are its special features.
- It is compact and practical
- It comes with a built-in needle threader
- The presser foot height can be adjusted
- Perfect for the beginners
- Good for creative and larger projects
- Easy to use
- Can be used only in the US and Canada
- Parts are expensive for replacement
Fashion Mate 3333 is a versatile product that comes with a free arm sewing feature. It has LED lights that offer long-lasting illumination. It has 23 built-in stitches that can be selected on the stitch selector dial. The appearance of the stitch can be customized by adjusting the stitch length.
- Perfect for beginners.
- It is portable and lightweight.
- Quiet and smooth running machine.
- The free arm feature enables sewing of difficult to reach areas on clothing like cuffs and trouser hems.
- Its heavy duty metal frame offers stability and durability.
- Comes with an automatic needle threader.
- Not compatible with all types of fabrics
- For use only in the US and Canada only
The Singer Start 1304 is ideal for kids who are still getting used to the idea of stitching. It comes with six built-in stitches and a metal frame that ensures skip-free sewing. It is an easy-to-use free arm machine with basic features. Its steel bedplate allows smooth feeding of the fabric while sewing.
- It is lightweight
- It has a user-friendly design
- The length and width of the stitches are preset
- Is automatic feature includes bobbin winding system, 4- Step buttonhole feature, and tension adjusting feature
- Easy access to features
- It has no automatic needle threader
- Thread jams are irregular
It is one of the best sewing machines for kids that save time and offer quality stitching. The stitches can be customized with its zigzag width and adjustable stitch length features. It comes with eight built-in stitches and an automatic four-step buttonhole.
- Quick and easy to use
- Offers a variety of stitching options for crafts, home decorating, and fashion sewing
- Comes with a canvas cover that keeps the machine dust free
- The features are not for advanced users
- It is warranted for use only in the US and Canada
Its easy-to-use features make it ideal for children. This compact sewing machine comes with 12 pre-stitch patterns. It includes a storage compartment to keep the accessories and supplies. The sewing light feature offers adequate illumination.
- It has a portable design
- Lightweight and easy to thread
- Ideal for beginners
- It can sew most type of fabrics
- Foot pedal to control the speed
- The instruction manual does not give great details
You can pick any one of the above or explore more options to meet the child’s requirement. But is sewing of any use for kids? Probably is. Find out more next.
How Does Sewing Machine Activity Help Your Kid?
Creative activities are fun and can shape the way the kids think. Sewing is one such activity that helps the child in the following ways:
- Teaches a life skill.
- Boosts self-confidence and self-esteem.
- Enhances their imagination and creativity.
- It is a great way to bring together kids who share similar interests.
- It also improves hand-to-eye coordination.
So if your child has a keen interest in sewing, you can do more than just buy a sewing machine to help them build on it.
Tips To Help Teach Your Kid To Sew
Here are a few tips you can follow to help your child indulge in the creative activity safely.
- It is best to wait until the child is at least six years old before you let them explore stitching or sewing. Kids must always learn this under adult supervision.
- Avoid using toy sewing machines for kids. Let them explore their interests with the real ones.
- Make them learn the technique of cutting the fabric in a logical way.
- Make the activity fun by exploring their interests in sewing and encouraging them to do the same.
- Let them practice what they have learned in small sessions. Patience is the key to help them learn the fundamentals.
- Let them take their own time while learning. Some kids may take longer than the rest, so stay patient and praise them for their accomplishments.
- A good sitting posture is important while sewing as it avoids back and shoulder problems.
Sewing machines are fun when you take proper precautions. When choosing a sewing machine for your kids, make sure to look for the safety features first. When you know that the child is safe using a sewing machine, you can stop worrying and help them develop the skill and have fun stitching clothes and more.
Does your kid stitch? When and how did they learn the technique? Share with us in the comment section below.