Does your all-rounder adolescent love to gulp down a can of energy drink to wake up and study all night after an exhausting soccer match? Do you feel happy that your teen is making a ‘healthy’ choice instead of consuming colas? Well, if you have been nodding your head in agreement reading this post may be of help.
Energy drinks are the latest beverage fad in the market today. But are you aware of the adverse effects these drinks can have on your child? No, right! The article here will discuss all the positive and effects of energy drinks on the teenage body.
What Are Energy Drinks?
Energy drinks are beverages that contain vitamins, herbal supplements, sweeteners, caffeine, and taurine. These drinks are very popular with teens. According to the popular ads, energy drinks enhance athletic performance, improve energy and promote clear thinking. Hence, both parents and youngsters prefer it over cola.
Energy drinks appeal to teenagers because of their temporary boosting benefits, which help increase alertness, mental and physical energy. A study reveals that almost 30% of teenagers consume energy drinks. It also indicates that eighth-graders consume more energy drinks that their seniors at high school.
A study in the Journal of Addiction Medicine reports that excessive consumption of energy drinks by adolescents can lead to poor mental health. It also suggests that teenagers who smoke marijuana and drink alcohol are more likely to binge on energy drinks than their peers. Mixing energy drinks with alcohol increases its potential threat to the physical and mental well-being of adolescents and young adults.
[ Read: Nutritional Requirements For Teenagers ]
The Side Effects Of Energy Drinks On Teenagers:
Energy drinks can adversely affect your teen’s health in the following ways:
1. Side-Effects Of Caffeine Consumption:
FDA does not regulate the amount of caffeine in the energy drinks. According to reports, energy drinks contain around 75 to 200 milligrams of caffeine per serving. It is more than double of the 34 milligrams of caffeine in Coke. Some energy drinks also contain additives like Guarana, which contain four times the amount of caffeine than coffee beans. Excess consumption of caffeine can lead to negative health effects such as nausea, sleep impairment, cardiovascular issues, and nervousness. Increase in caffeine consumption can also lead to headache, frequent urination, jitters and difficulty in concentration.
2. Medical Complications:
The unregulated ingredients in energy drinks can interact with certain medications. It can cause serious health problems for kids suffering from seizures, cardiac abnormalities, mood and behavioral disorders.
3. Tooth Decay And Weight Gain:
The large amounts of sugar present in energy drinks can cause dental decay. It can also lead to weight gain and obesity.
4. Bone Mineral Density Loss:
Excess consumption of energy drinks can cause loss of bone mineral density. Many studies suggest that the caffeine present in energy drinks may interfere with calcium absorption in the body, leading to weak bones.
[ Read: Calcium Needs For Teens ]
Moderate consumption of energy drinks can lead to the following health benefits:
- A possible benefit of energy drink is that it helps fight sleep. Many young adolescents may resort to it stay awake and study for exams.
- Energy drinks also enhance stamina and physical performance. The carb and caffeine in energy drinks provide an energy boost to your child after a tough session of football.
- Energy drinks replenish the body with the lost electrolytes.
- The taurine in energy drinks supports brain development. It also regulates water and mineral levels in the body.
- Energy drinks are replete with B vitamins, which help boost memory. It also aids the production of energy in the body.
[ Read: Effects Of Junk Food On Teenagers ]
You should ask your teenagers to consume the energy drinks in moderation. Limiting your child’s access to energy drinks will not help. Education is always a better tool than regulation or legislation. You need to increase the awareness of the effects of energy drinks on teens.
Hope now you are aware of side effects of energy drinks on teenagers mentioned here. If your child loves energy drinks, tell us how you helped him overcome his addiction. Please share your experience, tips and advice here.
- 5 Healthy Diet Tips And A Plan For Your Teenage Boy
- A Healthy Food Guide Pyramid For Kids And Teens
- 4 Essential Nutritional Requirements For Teenagers
- Top 10 Fitness Tips For Your Teenagers
Latest posts by Arshi (see all)
- Sahabi Names: 75 Best Male Sahaba Names For Baby Boys - February 22, 2018
- 65 Lord Rama Names For Baby Boy With Meanings - December 21, 2017
- 200 Most Attractive And Hot Guy Names That Women Love - August 23, 2017