Have you suffered from multiple miscarriages before? Are you pregnant & contemplating taking HCG shots to safeguard your pregnancy this time around? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a must!
Having a miscarriage can be both physically & mentally stressful for a woman. Now that you are expecting again it is normal for past horrors to haunt you. There are many possible causes of a miscarriage, and hormonal imbalance may be one of them. You may have heard that taking HCG injection for pregnancy could help reduce the risk of miscarriage, and may be keen to give it a try. But is it safe to take HCG injections during pregnancy? Keep reading to find out.
Do HCG Injections Prevent Miscarriage?
The HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) is a hormone produced by the cells that make up the placenta. The placenta also secretes it during the pregnancy. The hormone further boosts the production of many other hormones like progesterone to ensure the proper development of the placenta during pregnancy.
Taking Human Chorionic Gonadotropin injections during pregnancy could help prevent the shedding of the fertilized egg, which could help reduce the risk of miscarriage, particularly in women who experience trouble sustaining a pregnancy. In most cases, these injections may be required during the first trimester of pregnancy, and sometimes, may be needed during the second trimester as well.
[ Read: Pregnancy After Miscarriage ]
How Does HCG Injection During Pregnancy Work?
In general, when a woman is pregnant, the cells that spur the development of the placenta secrete the HCG hormone. It helps nourish the fertilized egg after it attaches to the uterine wall. After the successful formation of the placenta, the cells of the placenta themselves secrete the hormone.
As the embryo grows, the amount of HCG secreted increases significantly. In other words, an adequate supply of HCG is required for normal development during pregnancy.
[ Read: Stealth or Cryptic Pregnancy ]
Side Effects Of Taking HCG Injections During Pregnancy:
The HCG injections can cause certain side effects. For starters, since HCG is a pregnancy hormone, it can induce and aggravate some common symptoms associated with pregnancy such as nausea, soreness and tenderness of the breasts, etc.
- If you take the HCG injection during the time of ovulation, it may increase your odds of having multiple pregnancies.
- Some other mild side effects associated with the HCG injections include water retention, headache, irritability, fatigue, abdominal discomfort, and soreness at the site of the injection.
- Women who take HCG injections during pregnancy are also at a risk of developing an ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome. It is a medical condition, which can prove to be life threatening. It may cause severe abdominal and pelvic pain, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, infrequent urination, and even swelling of the limbs (1).
[ Read: Causes Of Nausea During Pregnancy ]
In fact, the risks associated with the use of HCG shots during pregnancy far outweigh the benefits it offers to the mother and the baby. Hence, it is important that you should take it after consulting your gynecologist only.
Frequent miscarriages can be emotionally draining for the couple wanting to start a family soon. However, it is best to seek professional treatment and identify the cause of your miscarriage before opting for a therapy. Speak to your doctor or fertility expert about HCG injections. Ask if it could work for you, and if there are other less invasive options you could try.
[ Read: Coping With Miscarriage ]
We hope this article helped you understand more about using HCG injections for pregnancy.
Did you too, take the HCG shots while you were expecting to prevent a miscarriage? Did it work for you? Did you suffer from any side effects? Please share your experience and advice with other moms in the comments box below.
Latest posts by Enozia Vakil (see all)
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis In Children - 7 Symptoms & 4 Remedies - January 16, 2017
- Canker Sores In Children - Causes, Treatment And Remedies - January 12, 2017
- How To Treat Drool Rash In Babies? - June 5, 2015
- Is It Important To Wash Your Newborn Baby Clothes Before Using? - June 3, 2015
- The Ultimate Twin Pregnancy Care Checklist - May 21, 2015
- How Do Eating Disorders Affect During Pregnancy? - May 20, 2015
- Feeding Problems & Disorder In Infants – 11 Causes & Symptoms You Should Be Aware Of - May 15, 2015
- 8 Serious Causes Of Acne In Toddlers - May 13, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Eggs While Breastfeeding? - May 13, 2015
- Sleep Disorders In Toddlers – Types, Causes & Treatments - May 13, 2015