As a parent, you’re always fighting off illness and infections that may affect your child. From ensuring they eat healthy to making sure they are vaccinated on time, you try and do it all.
But there are still certain health conditions that your child may end up suffering from no matter how much you try to prevent it. While some health conditions require immediate medical attention, others can be treated at home.
A sty in kids eye is one such condition that can be treated at home. Read on to know more.
What Is A Sty?
A sty is a red bump like appearance on the eyelid. It may occur due to a backed up oil gland and is usually quite painful.
- A sty can appear on either of your child’s eyelid, the upper one or the lower one.
- It can also form on either the inside or the outside of the eyelid.
- You can also spot it near the edge of your child’s eyelid, near the eyelashes.
[ Read: Heat Rash In Children ]
How Does A Sty Form?
The human eyelids have a number of oil glands. These oil glands produce a liquid that helps to lubricate the front portion of the eyes, along with tears. We list down here the stages of sty formation:
- The oil glands on the eyelids can get clogged because of dead skin cells, old oil or old skin bacteria.
- If this happens, the liquid starts to build up inside the clogged gland and gets trapped there.
- As it fails to come out, it results in a little bump.
- This appears like a pimple on the upper eyelid or the lower eyelid.
- If the sty gets infected it can swell up a lot and get very red.
- It can cause your child a lot of pain and discomfort.
Common Symptoms Of Eye Styes:
Here are a few symptoms of recurring eye stye in children you can watch out for:
- A small reddish bump near your child’s eyelashes.
- Swelling in the affected eye lid
- Pain in the affected eye lid
- Watery eyes
[ Read: Papular Urticaria In Children ]
Treatment For Stye In Children:
A sty in your child’s eye may be uncomfortable and painful, but in most cases it will go away on its own. You can do a warm compress on your child’s sty which will help soothe the pain and release the pus. To do a warm compress all you need to do is:
- Take a clean and soft cloth and dip it in hot water
- Ensure the water is not too hot but a little more than warm
- Rinse the cloth
- Hold this warm cloth gently over your child’s sty for about five to ten minutes, depending on how comfortable your child is
- Do this a few times a day
- This will help release the pus from the sty after which it will heal faster
- Ensure you wipe the area around the sty to keep it clean and free of any crusts
[ Read: Eye Care Tips for Kids ]
When Should I Take My Child To The Doctor?
If your child’s sty is still there for more than a couple of days even after you have done the warm compress, it is time to consult the doctor.
You should immediately seek medical help in case your child has any of the following symptoms in addition to the sty:
- Loss of appetite
- Body ache
- Excessive pain
- Any other health condition
Remember, the only thing you can do at home to cure the sty is to give your child a warm compress. Any other method, like trying to burst the sty at home, can permanently damage your child’s vision.
Do you have any special advice to help treat sty in children? If you have any home remedies or granny’s advice to prevent it do share it here with other moms.
- Epiglottis In Children – 7 Causes, 15 Symptoms & 7 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- 16 Serious Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Children
- 3 Types Of Hepatitis In Children & Their Symptoms
- 6 Helpful Tips To Prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning In Children
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016