Congratulations on becoming parents to a healthy baby boy! Just like any parent, you also wish that the apple of your eyes always remain hale and hearty.
As a parent, you will closely monitor the growth of your baby and check for the milestones to be achieved. However, it is crucial to understand that growth pattern of each infant differs. You need not worry if your baby learns to walk later than his peers or his height is not in line when compared to other children of same age.
When we talk about baby boy growth chart we usually gauge in the four broad categories:
- Other changes like growth of hair, arrival of teeth, learning to walk, ability to speak etc.
- Attaining puberty
Initially doctors are more concerned for the baby’s height and weight. While height of a baby depends largely on his genes, it is very important to keep track of baby boy weight chart. Weight can tell whether baby is able to digest food properly and is able to extract nutrition from it.
Child Growth Percentile Calculator
Baby Growth Chart:
A growth chart is essential to track your baby’s progress in accordance with his age. Though there is no ideal height and weight, there is a particular growth pattern that helps you assess your baby’s milestones.
Boys and girls have different growth charts because boys are slightly taller and heavier in than girls. Also, the growth patterns vary.
Baby Boy’s Growth Chart:
The below chart provides you the measurement that ranges between 3rd and 97th percentile of WHO growth standards for baby boys. If your baby boy falls within the right range, then it is said that your boy has the right height, weight and head circumference at his age.
3rd to 97th percentile
3rd to 97th percentile
|Head circumference (cm)|
3rd to 97th percentile
|0||46.3 – 53.4||2.5 – 4.3||32.1 – 36.9|
|1||51.1 – 58.4||3.4 – 5.7||35.1 – 39.5|
|2||54.7 – 62.2||4.4 – 7.0||36.9 – 41.3|
|3||57.6 – 65.3||5.1 – 7.9||38.3 – 42.7|
|4||60.0 – 67.8||5.6 – 8.6||39.4 – 43.9|
|5||61.9 – 69.9||6.1 – 9.2||40.3 – 44.8|
|6||63.6 – 71.6||6.4 – 9.7||41.0 – 45.6|
|7||65.1 – 73.2||6.7 – 10.2||41.7 – 46.3|
|8||66.5 – 74.7||7.0 – 10.5||42.2 – 46.9|
|9||67.7 – 76.2||7.2 – 10.9||42.6 – 47.4|
|10||69.0 – 77.6||7.5 – 11.2||43.0 – 47.8|
|11||70.2 – 78.9||7.4 – 11.5||43.4 – 48.2|
|12||71.3 – 80.2||7.8 – 11.8||43.6 – 48.5|
Source: WHO growth standards
The best way to keep a track of your baby boy height and weight is to take him for regular doctor checkups. Your child’s doctor will measure his height, weight and head circumference and will then compare them with the standard growth charts. You should use the below WHO charts to know his growth curve and percentile.
Weight for age:
Length for age:
Weight for length:
Which Factors Can Influence Baby’s Growth?
Your baby boy’s growth rate depends partly on his body type and metabolism, and partly on his general health, feeding habits and the environment. The factors that have an influence include:
Feeding – Feeding provides your baby with the necessary calories he usually requires to grow. Until he is six months of age, he is dependent on breast milk or formula feed for nutrition. The amount and duration of feeding affect his growth.
Your Health When You Were Pregnant – This can influence the store of nutrients your baby possesses when born. Your diet, lifestyle habits and weight can also have a significant influence on your child’s growth in his first year.
Birth Weight Of Your Baby – It indicates how well you have nourished your baby during pregnancy. But, babies born with high birth weight grow slowly, and babies born with low birth weight grow faster. It is also known as ‘catch-down’ or ‘catch-up’ growth.
Hereditary – Genes also play a significant role in baby’s growth. If both the parents are well-built, your child is likely to be in a high percentile for height and weight. Likewise, if both parents are lean, even the baby would be lighter.
Minor Ailments – Illnesses like flu and ear infections have an effect on baby’s growth, but only temporary. He may not feel like drinking milk when he is ill, and this may affect his growth for a week or more. The growth returns to normal once he starts getting better.
Your Health After Pregnancy – If you suffer from postnatal depression or are unwell for any reason, it will be difficult for you to take care of your baby. This may ultimately affect his growth. However, it is not permanent and gets resolved once you recover.
[ Read: Facts About Babies ]
When Should You Consult Doctor?
Sometimes you may remain too preoccupied with the growth and development patterns of your children.
- Some children who are short initially might grow a lot in the later stage
- While some who grow rapidly in the beginning might slow down when they grow up.
Whenever you feel that the growth is abnormally slow or there is huge difference in him and his peers you can always consult his pediatrician and get suitable guidance.
We hope this will give you a fair idea on what to expect in terms of growth chart for baby boys. Do share with us if you know more ways on how to foster growth in babies.
- 8 Ways To Understand Important Milestones In Your Baby’s Life
- Baby Food Chart: What And How To Feed Your Little One
- 10 Fun Things To Do With Your Newborn Baby
- Top 5 Baby Sleep Problems And Their Solutions
Latest posts by Palak Shah (see all)
- Is It Safe To Eat Rambutan During Pregnancy? - November 4, 2015
- Gonorrhea During Pregnancy - Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of - January 2, 2015
- Is It Safe To Donate Blood While Breastfeeding? - December 31, 2014
- Kitchen Safety For Kids - Rules And Tips You Need To Know - December 31, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Insect Bites In Babies/Infants - December 26, 2014
- 4 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Sore Breasts During Breastfeeding - November 28, 2014
- 4 Health Benefits Of Wheat For Your Baby - November 27, 2014
- 7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep - October 10, 2014
- Is It Safe To Have A Transvaginal Scan During Pregnancy? - October 10, 2014
- 5 Remedies To Get Rid Of Clumsiness During Pregnancy - October 7, 2014