Is your toddler simply sucking the toothpaste from his brush? Do you have a bad brushing experience with him every day? Looking for ways to get it right? Well, brushing can be a fun activity for your toddler, but the mornings may be the busiest part of the day when you simply cannot allow him to have fun with it.
Mommies, don’t despair! You can easily step up this challenge without creating a battleground in your bathroom.
Take Care Of Your Tot’s Teeth:
True, your toddler’s teeth are going to fall off soon, but as parents it is crucial that you take good care of them.
Here are the reasons why taking care of those baby teeth is important:
- The baby teeth help your toddler speak and chew his or her food.
- Baby teeth hold your toddler’s jaw to support permanent teeth development under the gums.
- American Academy of Family Physicians suggests you clean your toddler’s teeth daily twice with a child-sized soft toothbrush.
- You can dampen a soft cloth and gently massage your tot’s gums. It is important that you start cleaning his or her teeth, as soon as they appear.
[ Read: Teeth Grinding In Toddlers ]
Beginning To Brush:
You may have many questions about how to brush toddler teeth.
Here are some suggestions:
- For a toddler between 18 months to 6 years, you need to apply small amount of non-fluoride toothpaste on the tiny toothbrush.
- You must be by the side of your toddler when he or she is brushing.
- Look through the mirror to see what your tot is doing.
- To look for signs of decay ask toddler to say “aaahhh”. Look for brown lines close to his or her gum.
- You must also look for building up of plaque around the 3gum line.
[ Read: Throat Infection In Toddlers ]
How To Brush Toddler Teeth?
Learning some easy tricks will help your toddler develop healthy gum care habits and a sparkling smile. Here are some easy tips for brushing toddler teeth that will help you to clean his or her teeth and gums at ease.
Take a look:
- Use small circular motions using different sides of his toothbrush.
- Clean the gum margins carefully.
- Begin with his teeth at the back and move towards the front.
- Help him in the basin once the brushing is done.
- Teach him to spit the toothpaste from his mouth. Your toddler can take some time to learn this. Be patient.
- Clean the toothbrush and rinse dry.
- You need to be careful about his diet and ensure he is not taking too much of sugary foods. Sweetened drinks and sweet snacks in between can completely ruin his teeth.
- It is better to avoid formula milk at bedtime.
- You must always take the bottle away after each feed.
[ Read: Bad Breath In Toddlers ]
Dealing With Reluctant Brushers:
There is no need to make too much of noise about brushing. Your toddler will soon realize he is missing out on something important and will join both of you.
Here are some tips for brushing toddler teeth:
- Let your toddler watch you (or even both parents!) brush their teeth along with him.
- Offer him repeated reminders that he should brush before going to bed.
- You can buy him fun looking colorful brushes. Think of his favorite cartoon character and get him a themed toothbrush.
- Sing a happy tune while brushing. This will make him feel brushing is a game. You can also put on some peppy music.
- Encourage your toddler to get involved in the brushing task. Ask him to put the paste, put away the brush and the paste and shower him with praise.
[ Read: Strep Throat In Toddlers ]
There is no need to worry about how to get your toddler to brush his teeth. Kid-friendly advice and fun brushing techniques will soon involve him in this daily routine.
Moms share your first experience of brushing toddlers teeth in the comment section below.
- Sore Throat In Toddlers – 8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments
- 4 Serious Causes Of Cold Sores In Toddlers
- 11 Serious Signs And Symptoms Of Bronchitis In Toddlers
- Ear Infections In Toddlers – 7 Causes,8 Symptoms & 4 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by moumita ghosh (see all)
- 8 Effective Tips To Relieve Finger Pain During Pregnancy - November 23, 2015
- Top 5 Camel Crafts For Preschoolers And Young Kids - November 23, 2015
- 4 Interesting Winter Craft Ideas For Your Toddler - January 21, 2015
- 7 Simple Tips To Inculcate Good Sleep Habits In Babies - January 9, 2015
- 6 Effective Ways To Help Your Teen Make Smart Decisions - January 9, 2015
- How To Raise A Teenage Girl? - January 8, 2015
- 3 Different Ways To Fold Your Baby's Cloth Diaper - January 7, 2015
- Hearing Test For Babies/Infants - Everything You Need To Know - January 6, 2015
- Broken Tailbone In Children – Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - January 5, 2015
- Is Breast Milk Effective To Treat Acne In Babies? - January 3, 2015