Pregnancy is a special phase where your emotional well-being directly affects your baby’s mental and physiological development. Hence, you must try to stay joyful throughout the pregnancy. However, you must be wondering how to be happy during pregnancy if you are feeling low.
Every pregnancy is different, and so are the experiences of a mother during this journey. Not all the days of your pregnancy will be gleeful. Some may be dull or filled with anxieties and apprehensions about future uncertainties. But that is okay. Feeling low at times is normal.
However, you should learn to fight the pregnancy blues and stay cheerful. Your friends and family are there to support you, but only you can keep yourself happy. To help you along this journey, we have compiled some simple methods you can follow to stay happy.
10 Effective Ways On How To Be Happy During Pregnancy
Happiness always lies within your own self. As you gear up for the oncoming labor and childbirth, every trimester will present various kinds of situations for you to deal with. From that annoying morning sickness to unbearable mood swings, you will have a handful of trivial challenges to deal with.
Below are some sure shot ways on how to stay happy during pregnancy,that can help you stay ahead of other issues and be unconditionally happy:
1. Be Yourself:
Pregnancy is special. No matter how bogged down you are with other thoughts, it is important to just ‘be’.
- Being in the situation and focusing on your baby helps you tackle other problems more effectively.
- As the most important thing for you would be your baby, everything will look worth struggling for.
- Being innately happy while addressing smaller issues comes naturally once you are yourself.
2. Maintain A Healthy Lifestyle:
Lifestyle affects the way you are and the way you operate in everyday life.
- An active lifestyle which is healthy and productive always does more good.
- Once you are pregnant, there is every chance that clumsiness would set in.
- You would start feeling more lethargic and lazy than before.
- Making a conscious attempt to follow a healthy routine impacts your thinking to a great extent.
- The more you eat right and stay fit, the more you will start developing healthy and happy thoughts.
- A healthy life makes way for a healthy mind!
3. Stay Away From Negative People:
Some people and situations are often referred to as ‘toxic’ because of the way they make you feel.
- Hanging around with people who are pessimists and surviving in an environment that is laden with hopelessness is a huge disaster if you are pregnant.
- Stay away from negative words, thoughts and actions, and most importantly, people who demonstrate them.
- This is no time to indulge in extra stress and cause a burden to your mind and heart.
4. Yoga And Meditation:
For decades, yoga and meditation have proved to be a boon to pregnant women.
- Undergo a good yoga session with a trained professional.
- You will begin to feel rejuvenated, strong and happy.
- The breathing exercises are said to release the emotional toxins and rebuild your thinking pattern.
- Try to spend at least 30 minutes every day doing yoga and meditation. You will find a huge difference in the way you feel.
5. Maintain A Journal:
It would be exciting to record how you feel and what you experience during pregnancy.
- These memories recorded in text and video forms go on to become lifetime memories.
- Spend more time writing down the first experiences; the first kick, the first contraction, the first baby shower, etc.
- Shoot videos that interest you.
- You may want to show off all these memoirs to your child years after his or her arrival.
6. Treat Others Kindly:
Treating others kindly may at times become testy, thanks to the horrendous mood swings that take a toll on your emotional balance.
- You will be easily irked and emotional during a few phases while you are pregnant.
- Understand that this is not your fault.
- At the same time, do not demonstrate your irritated side to those around you.
- Try and control your random impulses. It may be tough to do so, but treating others badly will also end up making you feel guilty and unhappy.
7. Enjoy All That Preparation:
Before the arrival of your baby, you will be busy making plans.
- Right from arranging the nursery to shopping for pregnancy and your baby, you will be full of excitement as you plan and sort things.
- Enjoy the preparations to the fullest.
- Relish every moment as you expand on your needs and that of your baby’s.
8. Pamper Yourself:
This is the perfect time to rest all your worries and indulge.
- Make sure you keep appointments of spa and body massage.
- Get that long intended body toning and pedicure rituals.
- Once your baby arrives, you will not be as lucky with free time as you are now.
- You will be amazed at the kind of pleasure and relief that comes with some beauty therapy.
9. Delegate Work:
Most times, pregnant women feel like they are lone warriors set to take over the oncoming duty of motherhood.
- This kind of self-burdening is of no benefit, except straining you both physically and emotionally.
- Feel free to ask for help and delegate work to the people in your home.
- In case you are a single mother, identify those select friends of yours who will come helpful in times of crisis post-delivery.
- Delegating a bit of work to others will enable you to focus on spending more time with your baby.
Breathing deeply rushes in powerful thoughts that result in equally promising actions.
- The more you focus on your breath and settle down, the more relaxed you will be at the time of labor and childbirth.
- What more, breathing goes a long way in helping you get rid of negative thoughts and challenges like postpartum depression.
- These simple tips are quite effective in enriching you with happy feelings and positive thoughts.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does pregnancy increase happiness?
According to a study, the level of happiness is higher in pregnant women compared to non-pregnant women (1). Pregnancy is therefore known to play a role in increasing happiness.
2. Can babies feel their mother’s emotions in the womb?
Several research studies have shown that babies share their mother’s emotions, that is, if the mother is happy, the baby also feels happy, and if the mother is sad, the baby is sad as well (2).
3. Why is it important to be happy during pregnancy?
It is important that you take care of your emotional health during pregnancy because your baby experiences every emotion you experience. Thus, if you keep calm and happy when pregnant, it is likely to aid in the healthy development of your baby (3).
4. What happens to the baby when a pregnant woman is sad?
Emotions, such as sadness or stress during pregnancy, lead to the release of certain hormones in the mother’s body that might affect the baby’s brain and body development. These emotions can also increase the risk of depression in the mother, which might, in turn, lead to preterm delivery, low birth weight, or miscarriage (4).
It is easier said than done to beat the pregnancy blues. However, remembering that your mood may impact the baby’s development could help you place a conscious effort and be cheerful while pregnant. Try creating a routine and implementing it based on your feasibility. It may also help if you could participate in your favorite activities after considering their safety aspects on your pregnancy. Understand that it is normal to feel low at times. If needed, do not hesitate to consult a therapist and avail their help.
Infographic: Effective Ways On Being Happy During Pregnancy
To improve your happiness during pregnancy, prioritize taking care of yourself. This includes eating nutritious meals, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep. In addition, make time for activities that bring you joy and focus on the excitement of welcoming your baby. For more valuable tips, check out the infographic below.
- RukiyeTürk et al.; (2017); The Effect of Pregnancy On Happiness.
- When I Feel Sad While Pregnant, Does My Baby Feel Sad? RMC Health System.
- Emotional health for parents during pregnancy and after the birth; West Australia Department Of Health.
- Depression in pregnant women and mothers: How it affects you and your child; Caring for Kids.
- 5 Snack Foods to Eat While Pregnant.
- Exercise During Pregnancy.