Are you finding it difficult to sleep thanks to your new role as a mother? Is your routine of breastfeeding and caring for your baby depriving you of sleep?
Taking sleeping pills may sound like an easy option, one that will help you sleep. Read on to know if it is okay to take sleeping pills while breastfeeding and any natural remedies that may help.
Can I Take Sleeping Pills While Breastfeeding?
There are certain drugs that are safe to take while you are breastfeeding. These are drugs that your doctor will tell you about. Conventional and otherwise unassuming drugs are not as safe as you think while you are pregnant, let alone while breastfeeding. These can mix in your blood stream and reach the milk that will finally reach your baby. Taking these drugs can also sometimes affect your milk supply and interfere with your baby’s breastfeeding routine.
Any drugs that you take should be checked with your baby’s doctor.
What Sleeping Pills Are Safe To Take While Breastfeeding?
According to most doctors, no sleeping pills are safe to take while you are breastfeeding. In some cases, the sleeping pills Ambien and Lunesta may be prescribed while you are breastfeeding. These drugs mix very little in your breast milk.
Any drugs you do take to help you sleep while breastfeeding should first be checked with your doctor.
5 Natural Remedies To Help Me Sleep While Breastfeeding:
Taking sleeping pills while you are breastfeeding is not recommended. There are many natural ways that can help you try and sleep. Try out these tips and tricks that may work in your favor:
1. Sleep With Your Baby In Bed:
In the initial year, you may need to wake up many times in the middle of the night to feed your baby. Co-sleeping with your baby can help you relax even while you are feeding your baby in the middle of the night. This will help you go back to sleep right after your baby has finished feeding.
2. Try And Get Power Naps:
Every time that your baby falls asleep, you too try and catch those winks. You may not get long hours of sleep yet as you will be feeding your baby multiple times. Having shorter nap breaks through the day can help you prevent feeling too sleepy or tired at night.
3. Warm Milk Just Before Sleeping:
Milk contains a good amount of protein and is a good drink for you, especially when you are breastfeeding. It contains L-tryptophan, which is an amino acid. This will raise the level of serotonin in your brain and make you feel sleepy.
4. Chamomile Tea:
The herb chamomile is generally considered safe to take while you are breastfeeding. You can have it at bed time. According to the FDA, chamomile is a safe herb during breastfeeding. The calming effects of this herb can soothe and relax your senses and muscles. It will also help reduce or prevent flatulence and cramps.
5. Lavender On Your Pillow:
Sprinkle a few drops of lavender oil on your pillow before you go to sleep. Alternatively, you can add a few drops of this oil on a handkerchief and place it on your pillow. You can also try using roll on tubes that contain lavender oil. You can apply this directly on your temples and forehead or behind your ears to feel calm and relaxed.
It is never advisable to take sleeping pills while you are breastfeeding. Even though a few may be considered to be safe, some may react and still cause and effect in your baby. It is always best you try natural remedies to help you sleep.
If you are finding it too difficult to sleep and feel it is affecting your daily life and health, do speak to your doctor.
What are your thoughts about this topic on sleeping pills and breastfeeding, please share them by commenting below. Simultaneously, do share this article among your friends and family.
- 5 Ways To Ease The Trauma Of Itching Breasts During Pregnancy
- Is It Safe To Take Nifedipine During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Alprazolam Or Xanax During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Take Ibuprofen During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Debolina Raja (see all)
- 15 Surprising Things You Wish You Had Known About Newborns! - June 30, 2017
- Normal Delivery Vs Cesarean – Risks And Benefits - June 30, 2017
- 5 Dangerous Things You Should Let Loose Your Children On - January 6, 2017
- Indian Diet During Pregnancy - A Healthy Daily Diet Chart - September 16, 2016
- Top 20 Indian Food Ideas For Your Baby - September 15, 2016
- How To Be A Good Foster Parent – Requirements And Regulations - September 8, 2016
- Practical Tips On How To Make Your Marriage Work - September 1, 2016
- 16 Charming Romantic Ways To Give Birthday Surprise To Your Wife - September 1, 2016
- 7 Terrible Ways Depression Can Seep Into Your Marriage - September 1, 2016
- How Can You Keep Intimacy In Marriage Alive? - August 26, 2016