Congratulations on your pregnancy! Now that you are growing a baby, life as you know it is about to change! It’s no longer just about you. Everything you do now will also impact your little one.
If you are pregnant, then you should be cautious about what you consume. The reason? Well, whatever you eat during your pregnancy crosses the placenta and reaches your developing baby. That is why it is important to consult your doctor before taking any medicine or adding a new dish to your diet.
Do you know about Sodium Citrate? Do you want to know whether you can consume sodium citrate in pregnancy?
Read the post below and learn more about sodium citrate and whether you should avoid it during pregnancy.
What Is Sodium Citrate?
The first question that warrants an answer is ‘What exactly is sodium citrate?’
Sodium citrate, also called citric acid, is an important ingredient found in antacids.
Women often complain of heartburn during pregnancy. This is because the uterus expands and pushes the lower abdomen i.e. stomach and intestines downwards. As a result of the excess pressure on your lower body, women experience heartburn or acidic stomach. For most people, the best way to combat acidity is to consume antacid. But is it safe during pregnancy?
What Are The Uses Of Sodium Citrate?
Sodium citrate is used to treat many disorders. Following are some of the uses of Sodium Citrate:
1. Makes Urine Less Acidic:
Sodium citrate belongs to the class of Urinary Alkalinizers and makes urine less acidic. Less acidic urine contains less uric acid that helps prevent gout and kidney stones.
2. Treats Acidosis:
Sodium citrate prevents acidosis and helps treat other kidney and metabolic problems. So, if you are suffering from an acidic gastrointestinal tract, then your health expert may recommend medicines that contain Sodium citrate.
Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy?
Though you can safely consume sodium citrate during pregnancy, always consult your doctor to know about the proper dosage first. Also, if sodium citrate is causing discomfort, do not ignore the symptoms and be in a regular touch with your health care provider. It is possible that your doctor may replace sodium citrate medicines with some other medication.
[ Read: Blood Pressure During Pregnancy ]
What Are The Side Effects of Sodium Citrate?
If you are expecting and consuming sodium citrate to treat heartburn or acidity, then you might notice the following side effects:
Some other major side effects of sodium citrate consumption that can make you uncomfortable while pregnant are:
- Nutrient Loss: If the above symptoms of vomiting and nausea persist for too long, then your body will start losing the major nutrients required for the healthy growth of your fetus.
- Water Retention: The salts present in sodium citrate cause water retention in the body. Water retention is one of the major problems during pregnancy, and sodium Citrate aggravates the problem further. So, if you notice any such symptom, rush to your medical expert immediately.
- High Blood Pressure: If you consume too much sodium during pregnancy it leads to high blood pressure. Such a condition proves harmful to you as well as your unborn baby. High Blood Pressure during pregnancy can cause miscarriage or untimely delivery.
[ Read: Vomiting During Pregnancy ]
What Are The Alternative Medicines?
Your health expert might prescribe you an alternate medication to treat gastrointestinal acidity in case you experience any side effects with sodium citrate. Some of the alternative medicines that are safe to consume during pregnancy are:
- Antacids that contain calcium carbonate.
- Products containing magnesium hydroxide or
- Medicines that contain Magnesium Oxide.
Though not a serious concern, sodium citrate can prove to be rather uncomfortable for some pregnant women. If you are one of them, don’t forget to consult your doctor!
Did you consume sodium citrate during pregnancy? What dosage did your doctor suggest? Did you feel discomfort on consuming it? Share your story about sodium citrate and pregnancy with other expecting ladies and drop a comment below.
- Is It Safe To Take Wellbutrin During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use A Vibrator While You Are Pregnant?
- Is Citalopram Safe During Pregnancy?
- Is It Safe To Use Cymbalta During Pregnancy?
Latest posts by Hansika Kaushik (see all)
- 18 Most Common Causes Of Male Infertility And Treatment Options - December 3, 2015
- Roseola In Children - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment - November 30, 2015
- Is It Safe To Eat Sodium Citrate During Pregnancy? - November 26, 2015