Is your better half your soulmate, or do you two share an even deeper bond and are twin flames? A soulmate is someone who we stumble upon in our journey and feel an instant connection. On the other hand, a twin flame, also called a mirror soul, is considered a person’s other half.
Although these two terms are immensely popular, they are commonly confused. While ardent supporters of science may not find the concepts convincing as these lack scientific, research-based evidence, knowing their differences might give you exciting insights into your relationship.
Keep reading as we tell you the main differences between soulmates and twin flames.
Soulmate Vs. Twin Flame: 20 Differences
- Emotional maturity: Twin flames thrive by helping each other grow emotionally and spiritually. Their journey together is quite supportive. This may not always be the case with soulmates, and they might face some issues in their relationship.
- Intent: A soulmate relationship is geared towards personal growth and individual learnings for both partners. A twin flame relationship, on the other hand, has a much deeper intent and is based on benefiting and enriching each other’s lives.
- Fate: Twin flames, after they’ve met, are destined to be together (emotionally) till the end of eternity, as their lives are connected on a deeper level. Soulmates, on the other hand, are attracted to each other but might not be connected forever — they might be in each other’s life for just a short period.
- Realization: Both the partners in a twin flame relationship can see all the signs and acknowledge the deep connection between them. Soulmates, on the contrary, might take time to come to this realization and, at times, may not even have any personal awakening in the course of their relationship.
- Insecurity: Twin flames have a shared destiny, and their partnership is based on spiritual awakening; thus, they do not have feelings of fear or insecurity in their relationship. Soulmates might have to tackle certain insecurities in their lifetime and decide to go on different paths when these are not addressed.
- Detachment: Soulmates, in the course of their relationship, might come to a point where they decide to take time away from each other for their personal growth. Twin flames, on the other hand, go through several phases of growth together and back each other up along the way.
- Emotional ache: Soulmates cover a long journey and have to endure pain and go through both positive and negative experiences with each other. Twin flames have a more in-depth insight into each other’s feelings and emotions, and the journey they share is generally filled with positive experiences.
- Physical relationship: Both twin flames and soulmates share an excellent physical connection with each other. However, the bond shared by twin flames goes much beyond the physical aspect and is a deeper and more spiritual one.
- One/ multiple: An individual can have more than one soulmate throughout life — it could be a romantic partner, family member, or a friend. A twin flame, on the other hand, can only have another twin flame.
- Soul frequency: The soul frequency shared between soulmates can be similar or relative to each other, but twin flames have the same soul frequency, often termed as the twin flame soul song.
- Similarity: Soulmates are like two trees with their individual attributes and traits, whereas twin flames are almost identical in all their traits and characteristics.
- Experience: Your soulmate and you could have gone through very different experiences in your life, but your twin flame will have experienced similar life events as you around the same time in their life, irrespective of their background.
- Perspective: A soulmate relationship is enlightening, and a person can gain insight into their partner’s perspectives and learn several new things. In a twin flame relationship, the twins tend to look at things from the same perspective as their personalities are quite similar.
- Control: A twin flame relationship is devoid of drama. Twin flames share an organic connection, and the relationship involves no manipulation and control issues. A soulmate connection, on the contrary, is not free of manipulations, and the partners may constantly fight to gain the upper hand and dominate.
- Existence: Each of us has a soulmate in some part of the world, whom we may or may not meet in our lifetime. But not all individuals have a twin flame; only a few people who have some form of spiritual and deep-rooted connection have one.
- Communication: The communication between soulmates can pause or permanently stop due to indifferences or physical distance. On the other hand, twin flames never go apart and lose connection, irrespective of any hurdle, differences, or physical distance.
- Toxicity: A soulmate relationship has fewer chances of being toxic as the partners can go their separate ways when they feel their time together is complete. Twin flames, on the contrary, can end up having a very toxic relationship as they may not leave each other even if the romance fizzles out.
- Soul: Twin flames are believed to be one soul divided by two bodies — two different halves of one whole. Soulmates, on the other hand, are two different souls who have a powerful connection and are linked to each other in some form.
- Spiritual growth: Soulmates evolve and grow spiritually over time, but twin flames have a very deep spiritual and divine connection with each other right from the start.
- Complexity: A platonic or romantic relationship between soulmates is sweet and simple and remains almost constant, without many complications. Twin flames, on the other hand, have to deal with complex issues as their connection is deep and not limited to just the physical world.
Both twin flame relationships and soulmate relationships are beautiful blessings in their own ways. Seeking your true soulmate or twin flame isn’t bad unless it becomes an obsession. Irrespective of which type of relationship you are in, a healthy relationship requires mutual respect, effort, time, and commitment.