While most spider bites are harmless, some can be rather dangerous in normal circumstances. Allergies, lesions, pus, and scars are just some outcomes of a spider bite. And while you are pregnant, the symptoms can take on a more dangerous form, and lead to nasty complications for you and your unborn baby.
Here, we talk about how spider bite during pregnancy can affect you and what you can do to treat them.
Causes Of Spider Bites During Pregnancy:
Typically, you tend to have more than average body temperature during pregnancy. Your body temperature attracts insects like flies, mosquitoes and of course, spiders. So, the possibility of suffering from a spider bite while expecting only increases. There are different types of spider bites as follows.
1. Big Black Spider Bite:
Big black spiders are popular as funnel web spiders. If you suffer from the big black spider bite, then you may need immediate medical attention.
2. Redback Spider Bite:
Redback spiders are quite easy for you to identify, and their bites are significantly less harmful. But you may experience some pain and systemic body effects from a redback spider bite in pregnancy.
Other spider bites are comparatively less harmless, but you need to take care to protect your unborn baby and your health from spider bites if a poisonous spider happens to bite you.
Symptoms Of Spider Bites During Pregnancy:
Signs and symptoms of spider bites are quite apparent. Find below some prominent symptoms of spider bite while pregnant
- Mild pain
- Burning sensation
- Abdominal pain
- Muscle ache
- Excessive sweating
- Swelling of your lymph nodes
- Stiffness or pain in joints
- Malaise (1)
Treating Spider Bites In Pregnancy:
If you don’t treat spider bite in time, then it can lead to maternal mortality and can also prove harmful to your unborn baby during pregnancy. So, you need to seek medical attention and treat spider bite as soon as you discover it. Here are some effective treatments that can help you alleviate the symptoms of spider bites during pregnancy.
1. Apply Cold Packs:
Clean the affected skin with water and mild soap. Then apply cold packs to the bitten area to mitigate the inflammation and pain resulting due to the bite. A cold compress is effective in providing you relief from pain significantly (2).
Pressure immobilization bandage is highly effective in treating a big black spider bite. You need to bandage firmly the area of your body, such as leg or arm, and stay calm before seeking medical treatment. Also, if the spider has bitten your hand or leg then elevate your hand or leg (3).
3. Take Over-The-Counter Painkillers:
Having over-the-counter pain relievers can also help you get rid of pain resulting due to the spider bite. Have a word with your doctor before taking a powerful pain reliever while expecting (4).
[ Read: Painkillers During Your Pregnancy ]
Preventing Spider Bites During Pregnancy:
It is always better to prevent spider bites during pregnancy than treating it later on. Here are some effective prevention tips to safeguard your pregnancy from harmful effects of spider bites.
- Wear long-sleeve clothes
- Use effective insect repellents, such as Picaridin or DEET, on your footwear and clothing.
- Get rid of old items, boxes, clothes, and unwanted objects from your house.
- Install tight-fitting screens on your doors and windows to keep spiders out of your house.
- Vacuum spider webs and spiders and using a sealed bag dispose them out of your house (5)
Did you suffer from spider bites while pregnant? How did your doctor treat it? Share your experience with other expecting mothers. Leave a comment in the section below.
- Pinworm Infection During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Tapeworm During Pregnancy – 6 Causes, 20 Symptoms And 5 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
- Eclampsia During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Hydronephrosis During Pregnancy – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016