Do you keep your home and garden clean to protect your child from potential bug bites? Do you dread that your hyperactive toddler has marks of spider bite on his skin? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post is a good idea.
Nine out of ten people will cringe at the thought of a spider bite! Though, not all spiders are poisonous, it is best to keep these creepy creatures at bay especially when you have a tiny tot at home. Want to know how to spot a spider bite on toddler and treat it too? Check out this article to know all about spider bites in toddlers!
Facts About Spider Bites:
Spiders are not aggressive by nature, and they only bite when they feel endangered! All spiders contain some amount of venom to catch their prey. In most cases, spider bites do not lead to serious health complications.
Spider Bite Symptoms In Toddlers:
Unfortunately, parents often fail to understand if the scar or wound on a child’s skin is due to a spider bite. They may initially mistake the scars to be ant bites. If the toddler cannot speak or identify spiders, it can make detecting a spider bite even more difficult. You need to keep your eyes open for some commonplace symptoms of spider bites.
Redness of skin, itching, pain and swelling are common symptoms of insect bites. However, you should be cautious if you find the insect bite mark on the toddler’s skin is spreading, or there is drainage from the spot. If the pain does not subside within a few days, that can be a cause of concern too. After being bitten by a venomous spider, the toddlers may exhibit signs of distress like breathing difficulty along with scars on his skin.
Toddlers bitten by a brown recluse spider or a Black widow spider may suffer from scars on the skin. They may also exhibit the following symptoms in extreme cases:
- Stomach cramps
- Rapid pulse
[ Read: Signs Of Scabies In Toddlers ]
How To Treat Spider Bites On Toddlers?
Here is the first aid you can give your toddler if he suffers from a spider bite:
- Clean the spot of spider bite with cold water and an antiseptic solution.
- You may also apply an antibiotic ointment on the affected area.
- Instruct your toddler not to rub the spot as it can lead to swelling and an increase in pain.
- You can ask your pediatrician to prescribe a painkiller for your toddler.
- If your child is suffering from severe discomfort, it is essential to immediate medical help.
[ Read: Mosquito Bites In Toddlers ]
Ways To Prevent Spider Bites In Toddlers:
Prevention is always better than cure. Here is how you can protect your toddler from spider bites:
Toddlers, out of playfulness and curiosity can venture into areas where spiders form nests. These include attics and dusty staircases, etc. You cannot always keep an eye on them. However, you can ensure they wear shirts with long sleeves and socks while playing to protect them from spider bites. To keep spiders away from home, use insecticides regularly. Ensure spare spaces like the basement or attic are kept clean. Remember to store these insecticides and sprays away from the reach of children.
[ Read: Hives In Toddlers ]
A spider bite is not always poisonous, so do not hit the panic button. However, avoid experimenting with any home remedy to treat your toddler spider bite. Take your child to the nearest medical practitioner if your toddler’s discomfort does not subside.
Did your toddler suffer from a spider bite? What did you do to help him? Please share your experience and advice here.
- Measles In Toddlers – 3 Causes, 9 Symptoms & 8 Treatments
- 11 Serious Symptoms Of Chicken Pox In Toddlers You Should Be Aware Of
- German Measles In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- 14 Common Symptoms Of Meningitis In Toddlers
Latest posts by Maanasi (see all)
- List Of 20 Best Schools In Nagpur City - April 25, 2016
- 25 Fun Facts And Information About Monkey For Kids - April 11, 2016
- 30 Top CBSE Schools In India For Your Kid - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Kanpur - March 31, 2016
- 20 Top And Best Schools In Indore - March 31, 2016
- List Of 20 Best CBSE Schools In Pune - March 23, 2016
- List Of 29 Best Schools In Delhi - March 23, 2016
- 30 Top And Best International Schools In India - March 18, 2016
- 25 Unknown Wolf Facts And Information For Kids - March 15, 2016
- List Of Top 15 CBSE Schools In Bangalore - March 14, 2016