Trying butterfly exercise during pregnancy can help you stay fit and healthy. It helps to increase your blood circulation and keeps your body strong. Practicing this exercise daily as a part of your workout regime will help you stay flexible and loosen your hip joint, supporting easy and smooth delivery (1) (2). However, since everyone’s body is different, speak to your doctor to ensure that the exercise is safe for you. Read the post further to understand how butterfly exercises are beneficial for an expecting mother and the correct way to practice them.
Why Should I Do The Butterfly Exercise During Pregnancy?
The butterfly exercises are a part of yoga that has been considered extremely beneficial for mothers and their unborn babies.
- Improving blood circulation
- Increasing flexibility in the hip and groin region
- Relieving tension and soreness in the inner thighs and legs
Practicing these exercises and other pregnancy-friendly yoga poses during pregnancy could also help release “happy hormones” that can help fight anxiety and alleviate stress (3). First, it will keep you fit and energetic during pregnancy and prepare your body for smooth delivery. Then, after childbirth, it can help reduce chronic pain and the effects of postpartum depression.
How Does Doing The Butterfly Exercise During Pregnancy Help?
There are two types of butterfly exercises for pregnancy that you can try under a trained professional’s guidance. The First is the Poorna Title Asana (full butterfly exercise), and the second is the Ardha Titli Asana (half-butterfly exercise).
These asanas or exercises are done as part of your warm-up exercise before you move on with other forms of exercise. You may also do these exercises as standalone if you are not doing any other exercises.
As with most yoga asanas, butterfly exercises can also improve your blood circulation and aid in better digestion. Thus, these exercises may also help alleviate several pregnancy-related digestive concerns, such as indigestion and bloating (4).
How To Do The Half Butterfly (Ardha Title Asana) Exercise?
You can first start out with the half butterfly exercise before moving on to the full butterfly exercise (5).
1. Sit down on the floor or an exercise mat and stretch out your legs in front of you.
2. Keep your back and legs as straight as possible.
3. Breathing normally, slowly bend the left knee and place your left foot on your right thigh as close to your groin area as possible such that the sole faces up.
4. If positioning the leg like this is difficult, place the left foot on the floor close to your right thigh such that the sole faces the thigh.
5. Grab the toe of your left foot with your right hand, and with gentle pressure, move the left foot up and down.
6. Do the exercise as many times as suggested by your healthcare practitioner.
7. Return to the starting position and repeat the exercise with the right leg.
You can do the steps a few times as long as you are comfortable. Stop if you feel any pain or discomfort.
How To Do The Full Butterfly (Poorna Title Asana) Exercise?
1. Sit down on the floor on an exercise mat. Make sure you keep your back and spine straight and your legs stretched out in front of you.
2. Bend your knees gently in such a way that your feet come back towards your pelvic bone.
3.Bring the soles of your feet together and join them. Try to bring them close to your groin, as much as you can comfortably do.
4. Do not over stress yourself.
5. With gentle pressure, move both of your feet up and down, using the elbows as support that presses the legs down.
6. Repeat the exercise as many times as suggested by the instructor. Finally, straighten your legs and relax.
You can do the steps a few times as long as comfortable. Stop if you feel any pain or discomfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When can I start doing butterfly exercises during pregnancy?
You may start doing butterfly exercises in the third trimester (2).
2. Can I practice the butterfly pose daily?
Yes, you may practice butterfly pose and other yoga poses daily if you have been practicing before your conception. However, if you want to start it during your pregnancy, it is good to take your doctor’s consent. You may practice the pose as long as you are comfortable and do not overstress yourself (6).
Doing the butterfly exercise during pregnancy is beneficial because it helps in improving your blood circulation, enhancing the flexibility of the hips, and relieving tension and stress in the inner thighs. In addition, doing it regularly will prepare you for smooth child delivery. Butterfly exercises are of two types: the half-butterfly exercise and the full-butterfly exercise. You can choose the one that suits your body. Remember that each person’s body is different and may react differently to exercises, so talk to your doctor before going ahead. Most importantly, listen to your body and choose exercises based on your overall health.
- Yoga in Pregnancy.
- Pregnancy Yoga: Poses for the Third Trimester
- Yoga and pregnancy: A safe effective fitness option for moms-to-be.
- Yoga asanas for good digestion.
- Half Butterfly.
- Exercise During Pregnancy.