Planning to introduce home-made weaning foods in your baby’s diet? Wondering whether ragi is healthy for your little one! If these questions got you to sit up and take notice, consider reading our post. Here we talk about how to make ragi porridge for babies, its benefits, and some simple recipes to make it.
What Is Ragi Porridge?
Ragi or finger millet is extremely nutritious, and it helps your baby’s overall growth and development. Finger millet contains high amounts of proteins, calcium, and iron. It is gluten-free, low in fat, absorbable and easily digestible. Ragi porridge serves as one of the best weaning food preparations. You can introduce it to your baby once she completes six months. But, be sure to consult your pediatrician before you introduce ragi porridge in your little angel’s diet (1).
[ Read: Methods For Preparing Homemade Baby Food ]
Benefits Of Ragi Porridge For Babies:
Ragi porridge has many health benefits for babies, which include:
1. High Nutritional Content:
Rago powder is rich in nutritional contents. It prevents malnutrition in babies and provides them an adequate amount of energy.
2. Easily Digestible:
Ragi is non-acidic and non-glutinous. So ragi porridge is easy to digest. Also, it is a good laxative.
[ Read: Gluten Free Recipes For Babies ]
3. Curbs Appetite:
Ragi powder contains tryptophan, an amino acid that curbs appetite. So, ragi porridge is extremely healthy for babies.
4. Makes Babies Feel Fuller:
Ragi powder contains complex carbohydrates. After the baby eats it, the blood releases glucose into the bloodstream slowly. Thus, ragi powder keeps the baby full for a longer time than other foods.
5. Prevents Iron And Calcium Deficiencies:
Ragi is rich in iron and calcium, so consuming ragi porridge prevents the deficiency of iron and calcium. It also improves the production of blood significantly.
6. Enhances Immunity:
Eating ragi porridge enhances your baby’s immunity (2).
[ Read: Sago Recipes For Babies ]
How To Prepare Ragi Porridge For Babies?
Now that you know why ragi is good for babies let’s look at how to make ragi porridge for baby. Initially, introduce ragi porridge to your little baby. Start with feeding her plain bland porridge of finger millet for one week. Once she habituates to the porridge, prepare and serve semi-solid porridge. If your little one faces any problems digesting it, stop feeding her porridge for a few days before resuming.
You Will Need:
- One cup of water
- Two teaspoons of ragi porridge powder
- One teaspoon of ghee
- A half cup of milk
- A bit of grated jaggery
Preparing Porridge Powder:
- Wash the ragi appropriately.
- Remove the liquid and spread it on a clean cloth under sunlight to dry.
- Once it dries, roast the powder over a medium flame until you smell an aroma of roasted finger millet.
- Turn off the heat and place it on a dish. Allow it too cool.
- Grind it finely in a grinding machine.
- Keep the ground ragi powder in a dry, air-tight can.
[ Read: High Calorie Foods For Babies ]
Making Ragi Porridge:
- Place one teaspoon of ghee in a cooking pan and heat it.
- Once it’s hot, add two teaspoons of ragi porridge powder and sauté for about one minute.
- Add about one cup of water.
- Then add half cup milk.
- Stir the mixture continuously so that the flour mixes well with the milk.
- Make sure no lumps of powder remain in the mixture.
- Then add a bit of grated jaggery for taste and stir the mixture properly till it dissolves in the mixture.
- Turn off the heat when the mixture reaches an appropriate consistency.
A Word Of Caution:
Make sure you sterilize all the spoons and utensils before feeding your baby ragi porridge. Also, wash your hands thoroughly with soap before you feed the baby.
Have you used ragi porridge for babies recipes? Tell us about them here. Fellow mommies would love to hear from you.
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016
- Top 10 Hockey Facts, Rules, And Safety Tips For Kids - May 13, 2016