- Signs And Symptoms Of A Baby Girl During Pregnancy
- How to conceive a baby girl
- Tips For Conceiving A Girl
- Foods for conceiving a baby girl
- Supplements for conceiving a baby girl
Little girls are adorable. Their giggles, innocent questions, care for you, and even tantrums make you smile and fill you with love. It is a beautiful feeling to have a daughter at home, which is perhaps why people long to have a girl child.
So, if you, too, are hoping to have a girl, you might be eager to know about the sex of your baby during your pregnancy itself. Ultrasound is the best way, but that is not the only one. MomJunction tells you about the non-scientific ways that our ancestors have been using for years to guess if the baby is a girl. We also tell you about the various ways and foods you can try to conceive a girl.
Signs And Symptoms Of A Baby Girl During Pregnancy
Specific signs indicate that the baby could be a girl than a boy. However, these signs do not surely tell you that you are carrying a girl:
1. Carrying high:
If you appear to carry your baby higher in the womb, then there is a possibility of birthing a girl. Also, if most of your baby’s weight is in the middle of the belly, it indicates a baby girl.
2. Morning sickness:
Excessive morning sickness throughout the pregnancy, irrespective of the trimester, could mean a baby girl. It is associated with increasing hormonal levels and low blood sugars.
3. Faster heart rate:
If your heart rate is high, i.e., 140- 160 beats per minute, you might be carrying a baby girl.
4. Oily skin and acne:
If blisters and rashes appear on your skin during the gestation phase, it could imply a baby girl. Again, blame this on the hormones.
5. Craving sweets:
If you crave for sweet foods such as chocolates and ice-creams instead of spicy or sour foods, you are more likely to have a baby girl.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Baby Boy In Pregnancy ]
6. Mood swings:
If you experience extreme mood swings such as irritability, depression, and anger during your pregnancy, you are probably carrying a girl.
7. Your sleeping side:
If you sleep on the right side for most of your pregnancy, you can expect giving birth to a baby girl.
8. Hair texture and glossiness:
If your hair looks thin and dull, it means that you’re carrying a girl while shiny and glossy hair indicates a boy.
9. Urine color:
The color of your urine could indicate your baby’s sex. Dull yellow colored urine could mean that you are carrying a girl.
It is said that if you are graceful throughout your pregnancy, you are going to have a girl.
11. Breast size:
When the left breast appears slightly bigger than the right one, or if there is a dramatic increase in your breast size, it means you’re having a girl!
12. The garlic test:
When you eat a clove of garlic, and your body odor does not change, then it indicates a girl. But if the smell of garlic quickly seeps out of your pores, it is a boy.
13. Dreams about baby gender:
It is said that the dreams show the opposite of what you are holding in your bump. If you see a boy in your dreams, you are likely to have a girl.
14. Toddler’s interest:
This is for mothers who are pregnant for the second time. If your toddler boy expresses interest in your pregnancy, then there is a high possibility of you having a girl. And, if he shows no interest, it may be a boy.
15. Dad’s weight:
People believe that if the dad-to-be is gaining weight when you are pregnant, you will give birth to a girl.
If you do not see any change in the shape of your nose, then you are probably carrying a girl. However, if the nose is growing wider, it indicates a baby boy.
17. The linea nigra:
The dark line that appears on your baby bump can also be an indicator of the baby’s gender. According to belief, if the line continues to stretch above your belly button, you are pregnant with a baby boy. But if the line finishes below your belly button, then you are pregnant with a girl.
These above signs and symptoms may hold true for some and may not for some others. If the signs predict it right, you’ll be the proud mom of a beautiful girl. Otherwise, enjoy the surprise.
But, is it possible to influence your body to conceive a girl? Maybe. Read on to know.
First, You Should Know About Gender Selection:
The baby’s gender is determined by the father since he carries XY chromosomes and contributes either X chromosome or Y chromosome. The mother has XX setting and contributes one of her X chromosomes. So, if the genetic makeup is of chromosomes XX (father contributes the X chromosome), you will conceive a baby girl, and if the genetic makeup is XY, you will conceive a baby boy (1).
On an average, 200 million sperms that contain either the X or the Y chromosome are ejaculated during intercourse. But only a single sperm, with either an X or Y, fertilizes the ovum to form a baby.
So, amidst this chromosomal procedure, is there a way to influence the combinations? In the next session, we discuss certain gender selection methods that could improve the probability of the father contributing an X chromosome to conceive a female child.
[ Read: Scientific Methods To Predict Gender ]
How To Conceive A Baby Girl?
There are several ways to improve your chances of conceiving a baby girl. While evidence shows they are effective, not every method may work for all.
1. The Shettles method:
This method has been in use since the 1960s and is known to have a 75% success rate. It is based on the belief that the gender of the baby is determined by the time taken by the sperm to reach the egg. Usually, the Y chromosome swims faster than X, but it survives for a shorter period. The X chromosome is more resilient than Y (2).
So, if you have sex two to four days before ovulation, the Y sperm won’t survive long enough to meet the egg, and that leaves the X to mate with the egg.
According to Dr. Landrum Brewer Shettles, known as the father of vitro fertilization, couples, who want a girl, should avoid sex when the woman has clear and egg-yolk like vaginal discharge, as it is a sign of ovulation.
- Avoiding sex at this time reduces the chances of conceiving.
- This method takes thought, time and self-restraint. Both the partners should work together for it to be a success.
2. The Whelan method:
This method, devised by Dr. Elizabeth Whelan, has 57% success rate. It stresses on the timing or ‘when’ of sexual intercourse to conceive a baby girl.
If you have sex when your basal body temperature is at its highest, which is also the peak of ovulation, the chance of conceiving a baby girl is high.
This method believes that sexual intercourse a day before the body reaches its peak temperature will lead to a baby girl, as the X sperm survives long enough to meet the egg. For a boy, intercourse is to be done after the rise in temperature.
- It is almost similar to the Shettles method.
- Researchers believe that timing of sex does not determine the gender of the fetus (3).
3. Acid house method:
This method believes that you should have acidic foods on the days nearing ovulation. Y sperms are less likely to survive in acidic conditions, while X sperms are likely to thrive in them.
If you are comfortable having acidic foods, then you may include vinegar, soda, and chocolates in your diet. Stay away from alkaline foods such as almonds, cucumbers, apples, and avocados. Also, take smaller proportions of sodium, potassium, and caffeine, as these elements make the vaginal environment alkaline.
Some acidic foods such as citrus fruits have an alkaline effect on the body when you consume them. This can hamper your chances of conceiving a girl. Extra care should be taken to include only the right foods, which may not be practical for everyone.
Tips For Conceiving A Girl
The above basic methods can be combined with the following measures to increase the chances of conceiving a baby girl.
- Low salt and high calcium diet: A low salt diet, which is high in calcium, increases your chances of having a girl when combined with sexual intercourse before ovulation. Have more of low-salted meat cuts, blue cheeses, processed foods, and olives when you are planning for a girl. Also, cut down the use of salt in cooking (4).
- Using condoms: Though it seems to be odd to use a condom when planning to conceive, it helps. Frequent use of other birth control methods eliminates the male chromosome sperms. Therefore, you may use the condom throughout the month, but avoid it just before ovulation, as per the Shettles or Whelan methods.
- Shallow sex positions: Avoid deep penetration sex positions. Shallow sex positions can keep the Y chromosome away from the cervix as the depth of penetration is limited. The missionary position is the best as the semen is not deposited close to the cervical region. Moreover, X chromosome is attracted towards the acidic environment and possibly reaches the vagina sooner.
- Have frequent sex: Have sex frequently in the missionary position, according to the Shettles and Whelan methods. Sexual activity after your periods, until two to three days before ovulation increases the chances of a baby girl.
- Avoid sinus and cold medication: During ovulation, the female body generates cervical mucus that helps the sperm reach the egg. The male-chromosome sperm finds it difficult to penetrate the mucus as it is more fragile than the female-chromosome sperm. Cold medication should be avoided as it makes the mucus thin and allows the Y sperm to reach the egg.
- No orgasm: Though there is no validated research on this, some theories claim that avoiding an orgasm can help conceive a girl. An orgasm increases the alkalinity in the body, and the male-chromosome sperm reaches the egg. Without orgasm, the male-chromosome sperm will find it difficult to survive.
- Ask your partner to take a hot bath: The X sperm is highly tolerant to warm temperature. So, when your partner takes a hot water bath before sex, it helps conceive a baby girl. However, it is better to avoid the practice eventually, as the ambient temperature reduces the sperm count.
- Douching after sex: Turning your vaginal environment acidic through douching kills the Y sperm while it helps the X sperm reach the fertile egg. It will, therefore, improve the chances of conceiving a baby girl.
Combine vinegar and water in 1:4 ratio and douche the vagina after intercourse. This makes the vaginal mucus more favorable for the female sperm. However, frequent douching may alter the bacterial growth and lead to infections.
Natural methods are not the only ones to affect your chances of conceiving a girl. The foods you eat are also said to influence the gender of your baby.
[ Read: Ring On A String Gender Prediction ]
Foods For Conceiving A Baby Girl:
Here are the foods that can increase your chances of conceiving a baby girl (5):
1. Eggs are high in calcium and acidity:
- Regular consumption of eggs, which are a rich source of calcium, boosts your chances of conceiving a girl.
- Their acidic nature increases the pH level of your vagina and makes it harder for the Y sperm to survive.
2. Green leafy vegetables are rich in nutrients:
- Green leafy vegetables are rich in minerals and vitamins, which are the best for the survival of X sperm.
- Broccoli is the most preferred vegetable as it contains high amounts of calcium and magnesium along with vitamin A, C, and K.
3. Berries regulate vaginal pH:
- Different varieties of berries such as blueberries, cranberries, strawberries, and Goji berries help in conceiving a baby girl.
- They help regulate your vaginal pH and make it more acidic.
- Besides favoring X sperm cells, berries are sparse in calories. One theory suggests that low-calorie intake increases the chances of having a female baby.
- Avoid canned berries as they are high in sugar content and are unhealthy for your body. Artificial sweeteners increase the risk of high blood sugar levels and gestational diabetes.
4. Whole grains are a source of magnesium and selenium:
- Magnesium and selenium boost immunity, strengthen your bones, and also increase the chances of conceiving a girl.
- The daily recommended dosage of magnesium for a woman is around 310mg. But when you are trying to conceive or are pregnant, the recommended dosage can go up to 400mg a day (6).
- Some foods obtained from whole grains are brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, maize, whole wheat bread, and sprouted grains.
5. Beans are high in magnesium and fiber:
- Different variety of beans such as kidney beans, soya beans, lentils, red beans, and black beans help in conceiving a female baby.
- Beans contain a high percentage of magnesium and fibers that are vital for the conception of a baby girl.
6. Milk has calcium and lactic acid:
- Milk is a rich source of calcium.
- Increase the intake of milk at least three months before conception.
- Milk also has a pH of around 6.5 and contains lactic acid. It helps in making the vaginal environment acidic, which is favorable for the female sperm. Do not have more than 750ml or three cups a day as it can lead to stomach acidity and cause gastric reflux and ulcers. You can also replace one cup of milk with one serving of natural yogurt.
7. Canned salmon contains vitamins and proteins:
- Canned salmon is a rich source of proteins, vitamin D, and fatty acids. These nutrients make the vaginal environment acidic and favorable for the X sperm to survive longer. Smoked salmon, however, contains higher amounts of salt, and should be avoided.
- To make the canned salmon yummy and flavorful, top it with shredded cheese. Cheese, being a rich source of calcium, favors the survival of X sperm cells.
- You can also eat salads made of eggs, canned salmon, green leafy vegetables, lemon, vinegar, and avocado, which can increase the likelihood of having a female baby.
8. Seeds and nuts are packed with nutrients:
- Almonds, walnuts, flaxseeds, chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower and sesame seeds are rich in magnesium and calcium, and aid in the survival of the X sperm in your vagina.
- However, you should avoid eating pumpkin seeds, chestnuts, and almonds as they favor the survival of the Y sperm.
- You can take Brazil nuts that are high in magnesium and calcium. These nuts also contain palmitoleic and oleic acids that make your vaginal environment more acidic (7).
- As nuts and seeds are rich in calories, you need to eat them in moderation.
9. Tofu contains minerals:
- Tofu contains vital minerals such as calcium, magnesium, iron, sodium, copper, and zinc, which help in maintaining a healthy reproductive tract.
- It is a rich source of calcium.
- You need to consume 100gm of tofu daily.
10. Figs are a source of chlorogenic acid:
- Figs contain chlorogenic acid and vitamins K, A, B, and E, and make your vaginal environment more acidic.
- Figs also help in regulation of your pH level.
- However, eating too many figs can alter your blood sugar level.
11. Chocolate increases acidic value:
- Chocolate helps increase the acid level of your vaginal environment and digestive tract and favors the survival of the X chromosome.
- Prefer dark chocolate to the regular or milk chocolates, as it helps you prevent hyperglycemia and obesity.
- As chocolates are rich in sugars, they can increase your blood sugar level drastically. Hence, always eat chocolates in moderation.
12. Avoid apples:
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. But, when you want to conceive a baby girl, it is better to avoid apples.
- Apples are less acidic, and they tend to create a friendly environment for the Y sperm in the vaginal mucus.
13. Eat fewer bananas:
Bananas contain a lot of vitamins and minerals, especially potassium, which makes the vaginal environment more alkaline, which is not conducive to the X chromosome.
14. Avoid alkaline-rich foods and beverages:
- To conceive a baby girl, you need to avoid alkaline-rich foods such as dates, raisins, and nuts.
- First-time mothers hoping for a baby girl should avoid drinking beverages rich in alkaline.
- Bottled water and herbal teas have high alkaline levels. Hence, avoid packaged water and have alkaline-free water.
Supplements For Conceiving A Baby Girl:
In addition to diet, supplements can also increase the acidity levels in your vagina. But, it is advisable to check with your doctor before trying them.
- Calcium and magnesium supplements: The more minerals you get, the higher are the chances for a girl. Minerals, especially calcium and magnesium, create an acidic environment favorable for the female sperm to fertilize with the ovum (8).
- Cranberry supplement: This is another proven supplement that lowers the pH levels. You can drink unsweetened cranberry juice or standardized cranberry extract for creating an acidic environment (9).
Do you have more questions on this topic? Next, we address the commonly asked questions about how to conceive a baby girl.
[ Read: Nub Theory Gender Prediction ]
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. Can you conceive a girl after ovulation?
Since the X sperm lasts longer than the Y sperm, it becomes the sole contender for the egg. However, it only lasts 12-24 hours after the egg is released. Intercourse soon after ovulation would also release Y sperms that can swim faster than the X sperm to reach the egg, and this increases the chances of conceiving a boy (10). Therefore, the chances of conceiving a girl after ovulation are low.
2. How to track ovulation?
You can learn to track your ovulation cycle by observing the typical changes in the body (11).
- Most women experience pain on one side of the lower pelvic region, in the middle of their monthly cycle.
- Mucus turns watery, clear and stretchy like egg white to allow a smooth passage of the sperm into the cervix. Also, fertile mucus is less acidic, thus making the vaginal environment favorable for the sperm entry.
- An increase in the basal body temperature by some degrees.
- Increase in libido, and you appear more attractive and relaxed.
You can also use an ovulation kit to track your ovulation. The kit detects the luteinizing hormone that usually increases at the time of ovulation. But they are expensive and may not be feasible for all.
You can also track ovulation using a calculator, or maintain an ovulation chart to track your ovulating days and take a few alkaline tests to find the vaginal pH.
3. What should be your vaginal pH level to conceive a girl?
Your vaginal pH should be acidic, and an ideal range for conceiving a baby girl is 4 and 4.5.
Will these methods work? Maybe they will or maybe they won’t. There is no guarantee that these methods are effective, as they have no scientific backing. However, women have tried them and a good number of them, if not all, have successfully conceived a girl. So, if all goes well and the methods work for you, you could too.
Have you tried any of these ways? Or planning to try them? Whatever are your plans and thoughts for this post, please write them below.
Note that the above observations have no scientific backing but have been gathered from experiences of mothers over the decades.
- Signs And Symptoms Of Twin Pregnancy
- I’m Not Having Pregnancy Symptoms: Is This Normal?
- Pregnancy At The Age Of 45
- Baby Kicks During Pregnancy
Latest posts by Rebecca Malachi (see all)
- What Causes Secondary Infertility And How To Cope With It? - June 6, 2018
- 7 Incredible Health Benefits Of Chia Seeds During Pregnancy - May 24, 2018
- NIPT: When Is The Test Done And What Are Its Benefits? - March 13, 2018