Is your toddler suffering from high fever? Do you notice red-colored spots on her chest? If you nodded along solemnly, then your dear little one might be suffering from typhoid. Read our post and learn all about the causes, symptoms, treatments, and prevention of typhoid in toddlers.
What Is Typhoid?
Typhoid is a serious bacterial infection that spreads through contaminated foods and drinks. The typhoid-causing bacteria are present in the urine or stool of the infected individual. As a result, typhoid is highly contagious. Typhoid affects your toddler’s overall health. An infected child will need urgent medical attention (1).
Causes Of Typhoid In Toddlers:
Typhoid fever in toddlers is a serious ailment that results due to Salmonella typhi or Salmonella paratyphi bacteria. The bacteria are present in the food or water through a human carrier and spread the infection to other individuals (2).
Symptoms Of Typhoid In Toddlers:
What are typhoid symptoms in toddlers? Symptoms of the enteric fever can appear suddenly or gradually over some weeks. Here is a list of prominent symptoms of typhoid fever in toddlers:
- High fever as high as 104°F
- Sore throat
- A coated tongue
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in abdomen
- Loss of weight
- Swollen belly
- Red-colored spots or rashes on the lower chest or upper part of stomach (3)
[ Read: Symptoms Of Loss Of Appetite In Toddlers ]
Diagnosing Typhoid In Toddlers:
Even though the symptoms of typhoid in toddlers are apparent, doctors may ask for certain tests to confirm the infection. A blood test or a bone marrow test can help identify the infection. The doctor may also recommend sending a sample of her stools to the lab to confirm the presence of bacteria. A blood culture is the best test to identify the typhoid infection, and it’s necessary before she consumes any antibiotics.
Treating Typhoid In Toddlers:
Treating typhoid soon after detecting helps your little one recover early. Consult your doctor for the right line of treatment. Here are some effective treatments to cure typhoid.
1. Increase Her Fluid Intake:
Your toddler will be losing a lot of water or fluids due to fever, vomiting, sweat, and diarrhea when suffering from typhoid. So ensure she has plenty of water and nutritious fluids daily. Let her have at least eight to ten glasses of water every day. Provide her plain soups, boiled milk, and other simple but nutritious fluids. Consult your doctor to provide her oral rehydration solution (ORS), which replaces fluid and nutrients.
2. Let Her Rest:
Typhoid infection consumes a lot of energy of your toddler. Let her rest when suffering from fever and for at least a week after the fever subsides. Make sure her room is clean and airy.
[ Read: Symptoms Of Scarlet Fever In Babies ]
3. Provide Your Toddler Refreshing Washes:
Wash your toddler daily, when suffering from typhoid fever. Wipe her body with a clean, damp sponge to alleviate the fever. Clean her teeth daily to keep germs at bay.
To treat typhoid in toddlers, the doctor will prescribe effective antibiotics to kill the germs. Make sure your toddler completes the entire course of antibiotics to prevent the relapses of the ailment (4).
Preventing Typhoid In Toddlers:
Here are some prevention tips to prevent the typhoid infection.
- Make sure your toddler washes and cleans her hands and legs before she eats or drinks.
- Provide purified drinking water to your toddler always. Boil water for some time and then cool it naturally before providing it to your child.
- Provide healthy foods and drinks to your toddler. Avoid junk and fast foods as they are at high risk of being contaminated with typhoid bacteria.
- Maintain clean and hygienic environment. (5)
Did your toddler suffer from typhoid at any time? What did you do about it? Share your experiences with other moms here.
- Migraine In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Treatments
- Depression In Toddlers – Causes, Symptoms & Remedies
- 8 Serious Symptoms Of Asperger’s Syndrome In Toddlers
- 6 Unexpected Symptoms Of Hay Fever In Toddlers
- Impetigo In Infants And Toddlers – 4 Causes, 5 Symptoms & 8 Treatments You Should Be Aware Of
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016