What Is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil, scientifically known as melaleuca oil, is the oil extract of leaves of Melaleuca alternifolia, which is a small tree native to the northeast coastal area of New South Wales in Australia.
The oil is also popular as Australian tea tree oil. This is not to be confused with tea tree and black or green tea derived from plants as it is a different herb altogether.
The herb has several medicinal properties which is why even aboriginals of Australia extract and use it. However, you need to use the oil safely when treating your kid.(1)
15 Top Uses Of Tea Tree Oil For Kids:
1. To Reduce Toothaches:Sponsored
Tea tree oil acts as a natural analgesic, so it helps minimize toothache substantially. Also, this medicinal oil contains xylitol, a chemical that aids in reducing teeth and gum issues, such as gingivitis and plaque.
- Just mix one drop of tea tree essential oil in four ounces of warm water and guide your kid to swish it in his mouth a few times every day. Strictly instruct your child not to swallow it. Add one drop of clove essential oil to increase its painkilling power.
- Use mouthwash containing tea tree oil to minimize plaque formation substantially.(2)
2. To Alleviate Sunburns:
Application of the tea tree oil can help mitigate skin burns substantially.
- Put a few drops of tea tree oil on a cotton swab and dab it on your child’s affected skin.
- If your kid’s skin is sensitive, then dilute the tea tree oil with any other essential oils or coconut oil before applying it.
[ Read: Remedies For Sunburns In Kids ]
3. To Treat Cough And Chest Congestion:
Tea tree oil acts as a natural expectorant and gives quick relief from a cough and chest congestion.
- Whip shea butter and coconut oil in a mixer for about 30 seconds, add tea tree oil, eucalyptus, lavender, and other essential oils, and whisk it again, and the remedial vapor rub is ready. Apply a little vapor rub on your child’s chest, middle back, and upper back once every two hours.
- Also, rub it rub on your palms and cup them over your kid’s nose gently. Let him inhale a few times.
- Applying a small amount of the vapor rub on the bottom of your kid’s feet will provide therapeutic benefits.
4. To Cure Chickenpox In Kids:
Mix a few drops of tea tree essential oil with one tablespoon of olive oil and apply the oil mixture on your child’s chickenpox affected skin, thrice every day. This remedy will reduce the irritation and itching, providing the much-needed relief.
5. To Mitigate Earache And Infections:
Tea tree oil is an incredible natural remedy for earaches and ear infections.
- All you need to do is rub one or two drops of tea tree essential oil around the base of your child’s ear every two hours.
- Alternatively, you can mix a drop of mustard oil with tea tree oil, tilt your child’s head, and drop the mixture into his ear holes. However, be extremely careful when trying this technique on kids.
6. To Zap Boils:
Boils resulting due to the staph infections can be treated by using tea tree oil as they help relieve irritation and pain. Tea tree oil also treats boils that are antibiotic resistant, effectively. Simply dab a little quantity of oil on the boil several times.
7. To Eliminate Lice:
Tea tree oil can be used to treat lice in kids within the age of four. But use only diluted, and not concentrated oil.
- Add one tablespoon of tea tree oil to 100 milliliters of your child’s shampoo, and wash her hair with it.
- Alternatively, add two or three drops of the oil to a hair spray bottle, which is full of detangler or water, shake it well, and spray it on your kid’s hair. Rub the head with your hands for its even distribution.
8. To Ward Off Dandruff:
Dandruff is a very common problem in kids. The use of tea tree oil aids in eliminating dandruff. All you need to do is add a few drops of tea tree oil to your kid’s regular hair oils, such as coconut, almond, or olive oil, and apply it to her head. The oil helps in getting rid of all types of scalp infections, greasiness, lesions, and itchiness.
[ Read: Dandruff In Kids ]
9. To Cure Diaper Rash:
You can prevent diaper rash by adding tea tree oil to your kid’s bath on a regular basis. It regulates the growth of bacteria on your child’s skin.
- If your child suffers rash troubles due to thrush, then add four drops of tea tree oil to two ounces of unscented cream and apply it on the affected skin.
- Also, you can put a drop of tea tree oil on a small ball of cotton and rub the cloth on the affected skin twice every day for about a month to get rid of the rash.
10. To Treat Athlete’s Foot:
Athlete’s foot gives your child inflammation, itching, red and scaly skin, burning sensation, and irritation at the bottom of his feet and toenails. It results due to a fungal infection and is highly contagious, and can spread to other parts of the body. The use of tea tree oil can help eliminate the infection.
- Just apply 20% concentrated tea tree on the infected area regularly for a couple of weeks.
- Mix five to six drops of tea tree oil in one tablespoon coconut oil and massage your kid feet every morning and before going to bed.(3)
11. To Alleviate Cold Sores:
- Tea tree oil helps in treating cold sores in children significantly.
- Mix a couple of drops of this remedial oil in one teaspoon of coconut oil and dab it on the cold sore every day.
- You can also apply tea tree essential oil directly on the affected skin thrice, every day.
- Make sure the oil doesn’t get into your child’s mouth as it is toxic and will harm your kid.
12. To Eliminate Jock Itch:
Mix ten drops of tea tree oil in two tablespoons of witch hazel or olive oil and rub the oil mixture on your young one’s skin twice daily to treat this common itch.
13. To Relieve Bug Bites And Injuries:
You can use tea tree oil as a mild antiseptic to treat minor cuts, injuries, burns, bug bites, and other insect bites substantially as it promotes healing. Just drop one or two drops of the remedial oil on the affected skin area and leave it overnight.
14. To Drive Bad Breath Away:
Tea tree oil possesses incredible anti-bacterial properties that help in killing bacteria and regulate their growth, which otherwise results in foul breath or tooth decay. Add a few drops of tea tree oil to a glass of warm water, mix it well, and guide your kid to swish the remedial mixture in his mouth. Follow this for a couple of weeks to eliminate bad breath significantly. Strictly instruct your child to not swallow it.
[ Read: Bad Breath In Children ]
15. To Reduce Eye Infections:
Tea tree oil treats eye infections in children below 18. Make sure that you massage your kid’s eyelids with just 5% concentrated tea tree ointment solution for four to six weeks. Use diluted version only.
Can You Use Tea Tree Oil On Kids?
Yes, you can use tea tree essential oil to treat your child, but be extremely careful. Avoid oral intake of this remedial oil as it can harm your kid. Also, avoid any excess use as it can affect your child adversely and subject him to some deadly ailments such as cancer.
Tea Tree Oil – 9 Safety Tips For Kids:
1. Add A Carrier Oil:
Adding a little amount of carrier oil, such as coconut oil, to a small quantity of tea tree oil, diluting it, and then applying it on the skin facilitates quick absorption of the essential oil and prevent irritation or side effects of the oil.
2. Heat Up The Area:
While applying tea tree oil on your kid’s skin, ensure that you also rub it to generate heat, since it increases the blood supply to the affected area. Rubbing and heating the affected area helps in quick and easy absorption of the essential oil and alleviates the condition.
You can also treat your child with tea tree oil by the technique of aromatherapy. The inhalation of the aroma of tea tree essential oil proves highly beneficial for treating your kid.
4. Mix Iodine:
While treating skin infections, make sure you mix an iodine per four microliter drop of tea tree essential oil and apply it on your young one’s skin twice every day, for a month to get rid of lesions. (4)
5. Always Go For Topical Application Of Tea Tree Oil:
While using tea tree oil to treat your child’s skin irritations or any other problems, make sure you use it topically as it is safe. Never ingest the oil as it can be harmful.
6. Avoid Concentrated Tea Tree Oil:
You can apply it on the skin either diluted or undiluted; however, a diluted application is safer, especially if your kid’s skin is sensitive.
7. Avoid Products Containing Oxidized Or High Amounts Of Tea Tree Oil:
Tea tree oil contains 1,8-cineole, which is a skin irritant. So, the use of the concentrated version of the oil or products containing high amounts of 1,8-cineole can make your child suffer from skin irritation or an allergic reaction. Also, oxidized tea tree oil can stimulate allergies more intensely than fresh tea tree oil.(5)
8. Ensure Your Kid Doesn’t Swallow Tea Tree Oil:
Swallowing tea tree oil by kids can make them suffer from poisoning and health issues, such as rash, disorientation, and ataxia i.e. complete loss of control of bodily movements. Make sure your child doesn’t swallow the oil while swishing it in the mouth. Medical researchers reveal that a patient can go in a coma after consuming half a cup of tea tree oil.
9. Have A Word With Your Kid’s Pediatrician:
Consult your child’s pediatrician and provide him a full picture of how you are planning to use the oil for your child’s treatment. Also, ask the doctor about complementary health treatment if your line of therapy is not completely safe for your kid.
4 Benefits Of Tea Tree Oil Shampoo For Kids:
1. Tea tree oil shampoo is highly beneficial for treating viral scalp infections in children as its antiviral properties help minimize the effect of viral infections effectively.
2. Just 10% concentration of tea tree oil in kid’s shampoo, helps in killing scalp and skin bacteria. Also, lower levels are quite effectual in regulating bacteriostatic activities when you combine it with a solubilizer.
[ Read: Benefits Of Peppermint Oil For Kids ]
3. Antifungal properties of tea tree oil shampoo are highly beneficial in reducing dandruff and treating seborrhoeic dermatitis resulting due to Malassezia species in kids.
4. Tea tree oil shampoo is 97.6% effective in killing nasty head lice with just 1 % concentration of the oil in the shampoo and 15 minutes of exposure. The double level of the tea tree oil in the shampoo helps in getting rid of nits and eggs in your kid’s head.(6)
Did you use tea tree oil on your kid for any reason? How was the effect? Do let us know.
- 14 Best Essential Oils For Kids
- 20 Best Anti Dandruff Shampoos For Kids
- Ear Infection In Children: Causes, Prevention, And Treatment
- 7 Remedies To Treat Mosquito Bites In Children
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016