As your daughter hits her teenage, the changes she goes through can leave you feeling giddy and tense. How your teen behaves and what she experiences is also going to shape how she perceives life later. It is the time of constant changes and confusion and rest assured that it will help her come of age.
Most parents already know that their teens are extremely conscious about their appearance. For teen girls, one of the most important factors is the growth of their lady parts or the breasts. So, if your teen has hinted about getting breast augmentation done, or you would like to learn more about the procedure involving teens, consider reading our post below.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
A breast augmentation is a surgical procedure, which doctors perform to increase the size of a female’s breasts. It also helps to enhance the shape as well as the fullness of the breasts. In medical terms, breast augmentation is also known as augmentation mammoplasty. For the procedure, the surgeon will place silicone or saline breast implants under the muscles of the chest or the tissues of the breast.
[ Read: Teen Body Image Issues ]
Age Considerations For Teenage Breast Augmentation:
According to the regulations as per the FDA, a person must be at least 18 years of age before undergoing breast augmentation that uses saline breast implants. If the breast augmentation procedure will be done with the help of silicone breast implants, the person has to be at least 22 years of age. The FDA is extremely strict with its rules about the age in which a person can go for the breast augmentation procedure. During the late teens and the early 20s, a female will still be going through the growth phase in her breasts. It means that even if your teen daughter is presently unhappy with the size, shape or overall look or absence of her breasts, there is still time for her to grow them. Going for a breast augmentation procedure at any earlier stage could mean hampering the natural growth of her breasts.
Complications Of Teen Breast Augmentation:
Even though it may not seem a medically risky procedure, make sure that you have a proper consultation with your teen’s doctor to understand all the pros and cons of the breast augmentation procedure. Here are a few things that you can consider if your teen is planning to go for a breast augmentation procedure:
[ Read: Teen Breast Development ]
- During her teens, your daughter will be in a considerably healthy, as compared to older and more mature females. As a result, the chances of any complications arising due to teen breast implants will be considerably less.
- Also, if your teen does not smoke, or is at least not a regular smoker, her chances of facing any complications due to her breast augmentation procedure will be less.
- During the teens, your daughter’s skin is taut and elastic, which will help to give and maintain the proper shape and size of the breast implants.
- If your teen decides to go for a breast augmentation procedure, it is highly unlikely that she will be asked to take a mammogram test before the procedure, as compared to older females. Your teen’s doctor will ask her to undergo for the same only if there is a family history of breast cancer.
[ Read: Breast Cancer In Teens ]
It is understandable that your teen is very conscious about the way she looks, but you should always try and talk to her about the fact that there is more to life than just her body and how it looks. Help reinforce a positive image of herself and love her for the way she is, not just for the way she looks. Be a confident female yourself, so that your daughter will learn the same from you. Of course, if she does decide to go ahead with the procedure, make sure are with her through all the steps.
Did your daughter talk to you opting for a breast augmentation? Do you feel she is conscious about the size of her breasts? Tell us below.
- Plastic Surgery In Teenagers: Safety And Side-Effects
- 5 Secrets Every Teen Girl Should Know
- Puberty In Girls – Everything You Need To Know