- Top 15 thermometers for baby
- What are the different types of baby thermometers?
- Baby thermometer safety tips
- Tips for buying a thermometer
We feel their forehead, neck, hands, and thighs… repeatedly. When the baby is down with a fever, we do the job of a watchman waking up every 30 minutes to check if their temperature is rising.
While you instinctively put your palm on the baby’s forehead, a more precise thing to do is to check the temperature with a thermometer. However, parents are often overwhelmed by the variety of baby thermometers available in the market.
Each device has its unique technology and mode of measurement, making selection difficult. So, which is the best thermometer for a baby? MomJunction shares with you the details of 15 best thermometers to measure a baby’s body temperature.
Top 15 Thermometers For Baby
The list contains options from the three kinds of digital baby thermometers.
- Standard Digital Thermometer
- Tympanic Digital Infrared Thermometer
- Temporal Artery Digital Infrared Thermometer
Standard Digital Thermometer
- It has backlit LCD with large font size characters.
- It comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer.
- It measures temperature for ten seconds to give precise readings.
- The audio signals let the user know that the temperature has been read.
- The soft plastic material makes the insertion comfortable for the baby.
- Itan be used even for newborns.
- Itan measure temperature from three sources – oral, rectal, and underarm (axillary).
- Its large easy-to-read display with battery level indicator and has replaceable three-volt button cell.The tip cover protects the sensor from dust and damage.
- It measures temperature for eight seconds to give an accurate reading.
- The light indicator changes color depending on the temperature of the baby. For instance, if the baby has a high fever, the light indicator turns amber (orangish-yellow).
- The ultra compact size makes it a good baby thermometer for travel.
- The fever chart on back panel for quick reference.
- The soft, rubbery, and flexible tip makes it easy to use for three modes of operation – oral, rectal, and underarm (axillary).
- It has a memory recall feature that lets the user see the last temperature reading.
- It makes beeping sounds when temperature measurement is complete.
- The big displays make it easier to read the temperature.
- It automatically shuts-off 10 minutes after not being in use. It comes with a lifetime warranty of the manufacturer.
- It is an easy-to-use standard digital baby thermometer in the shape of a pacifier.
- It comes with a big and clear display. The background of the LCD screen changes color depending on infant’s temperature. For normal temperature, the screen stays green while for higher readings it turns red.
- The thermometer beeps after reading.
- The memory recall lets the user see the last temperature reading.
- The comfortable and rubbery nipple makes it easier for the baby to hold it in the mouth.
- It includes cover that protects from dust and damage.
- It measures in Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
- This three-in-one (oral, rectal, and armpit) quick-read thermometer for babies comes with a large display.
- Made from lightweight plastic and rubber materials, it is completely waterproof.
- It has flexible tips, making it easier for insertion.
- It displays temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius scale with high accuracy sensor.
- It is tested and approved by FDA and CE and comes with a one-year warranty.
- The plastic case (sold separately) protects the device.
Tympanic Digital Infrared Thermometer
- Pre-warmed tip makes it comfortable for the infant when placed in the ear.
- The light and sound indicators let the user know when the temperature is taken.
- It takes accurate readings with last temperature reading recall from inbuilt memory.
- It features both Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
- It comes with replaceable lens filters to protect the infrared beam sensor and to prevent the spread of germs from one person to another.
- It is a portable thermometer that works with two AA sized batteries.
- It has quick, two-second reading with fever alarm when the temperature is high.
- It has memory recall of up to last ten readings. Temperature is measured in both Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
- Compact and lightweight, this thermometer is easy to carry during travel.
- Ear tip is made from smooth plastic that makes it easier to insert into baby’s ear canal.
- It comes with an auto shut-off feature. It is FDA-approved and comes with two years of manufacturer’s warranty.
- It measures accurate readings in just a second by the touch of a button.
- The thermometer uses bluetooth to pair with a smartphone and transmit the data to an app.
- Smartphone app provides information such as suggested medicines, health tips, and reminders.
- The display is large, backlit, and uses a large font, and measures in Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
- It is easy to clean the sensor tip, which is made of bisphenol A-free materials and is FDA-approved.
- It has a fast temperature reading in a second.
- Beep indicator increases in frequency when the temperature is high.
- The ultralight, compact design makes it easy to carry.
- It comes with a memory recall facility to view last reading.
- The infrared lens cover protects the sensor.
- It comes bundled with 21 disposable lens filters that are also sold separately.
- This is a two-in-one infrared thermometer that measures temperature from forehead (temporal artery) and the ear.
- The two different buttons labeled “Head” and “Ear” make it easy for the user to determine the button to press for forehead or ear measurement.
- Easy-to-read display with a backlight makes it convenient to see the reading.
- It has a super-fast reading of two seconds.
- A memory recall of 20 readings helps keep track of the baby’s temperature. The thermometer features both Fahrenheit and Celsius scales.
- Includes a soft pouch to carry the thermometer during travel.
- It is FDA-approved.
Temporal Artery Digital Infrared Thermometer
- It has a unique display that tells temperature in a stylish, pixelated format that is readable even in the dark.
- One button press switches the scale from Fahrenheit to Celsius.
- It has an auto shut-off after 10 seconds. It is bundled with carrying case for easy portability.
- Light indicator changes color depending on the temperature.
- The internal memory lets you store 20 readings.
- The two-in-one functionality lets you use this infrared thermometer for both tympanic (ear) and temporal (forehead) measurement.
- Thin ear probe makes it ideal for the narrow ear canal of the babies.
- The compact size makes it easy to store and carry the device. The thermometer can be placed on a stand that comes bundled with the device.
- Backlit display changes color as per the temperature of the infant.
- It measures temperature on Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
13. ARC Devices InstaTemp Non-touch Digital Thermometer
- The streamlined, cuboidal shape gives it an almost remote-like look, which makes the thermometer easy to hold.
- The point and hold functionality measures temperature within seconds.
- It measures temperature both in Fahrenheit and Celsius scale.
- It features a backlit display that changes color according to the temperature reading.
- The battery has a lifetime warranty.
- It comes with two-year manufacturer warranty.
- This thermometer comes with a one-touch electronic operation – point at a surface, press button, and the temperature is recorded.
- It measures temperature in a second and displays it on the large screen.
- The display changes color as per the temperature reading.
- The contoured grip handle makes it easy to point the thermometer correctly.
- It can even record temperature of food items such as baby food and room.
- The non-contact, infrared technology lets you take the temperature by just pointing the thermometer towards the baby’s head. Guiding laser helps you aim the device properly.
- The device gives an accurate reading in less than a second. The digital voice narrates the temperature in two languages – English and Spanish. Silent mode is also available.
- The backlit display changes color according to the temperature – blue for normal and red for high fever.
- Recalls the last 12 temperature readings, and also has a bonus feature of room temperature measurement.
- It comes in a case, making it easy to carry. And, it is FDA-approved.
These thermometers are the best, but it is still important to observe some safety precautions while using thermometers especially in case of infants.
What Are The Different Types Of Baby Thermometers?
Most of us know about the age-old mercury bulb thermometers. However, these thermometers are unsafe for infants as they are made of glass and contain mercury. If the glass accidentally breaks, then the infant is exposed to toxic mercury. Therefore parents must consider the alternative that is the digital thermometers, which are also recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) (1).
[ Read : CHICCO Baby Digital Thermometer Review ]
Standard digital thermometers have a metal tip with a sensor and an LCD screen that displays temperature to the nearest decimal point. Some digital thermometers use infrared beams to measure the body temperature. These infrared rays bounce off a surface and are picked up by the thermometer’s sensor, which then gives a heat reading. Such thermometers are mostly contactless and often feature a laser to point the sensor at the skin surface accurately. They are, thus, also called laser thermometers.
Thermometers are designed to measure temperature from specific parts of the body. Here are the different kinds of digital thermometer and their method of temperature analysis:
|Type of thermometer||Mode of measurement||Recommended age|
|Standard digital thermometer||Rectal (Rectum)||0-6 months|
|Standard digital thermometer||Axillary (Underarm)||3 months-4 years|
|Temporal artery digital infrared thermometer||Temporal (Forehead)||3 months-4 years|
|Tympanic digital infrared thermometer||Tympanic (Ear)||6 months-4 years|
|Standard digital thermometer||Oral (Mouth)||4 years and above|
The rectal temperature reading is the most accurate one and the underarm is the least. Rectal thermometers are best suited for infants aged six months. As they grow older, babies get squirmy and may not cooperate during a rectal temperature reading. So, you can switch to other types of thermometers. Once the little one is four years old, you can use oral temperature measurement method (1) (2) (3).
Individual variations of thermometers provide identical functions. For example, a behind-the-ear thermometer is the same as temporal artery thermometer but measures temperature from the spot right below the soft, lower ear lobe. Smart thermometers can be of any type and offer connectivity options through bluetooth and feature a smartphone app. Therefore, every thermometer is unique and offers some exclusive functions. So, let’s look at a few of them.
Baby Thermometer Safety Tips
Keep the following points in mind while using baby thermometers.
- Never leave an infant alone with a thermometer, even if it is a quick underarm temperature measurement. The baby may put the device in the mouth and accidentally choke on it. Older infants may play or chew the thermometer, hurting themselves and damaging the thermometer.
- Read the instruction manual carefully for correct operation, especially in case of digital thermometers. This helps prevent incorrect usage of the device and keeps the thermometer functional for long.
- Keep the thermometer clean by wiping after every use, with a tissue paper mildly soaked in disinfectant liquid. Wipe it again with a dry tissue. Do not wash the device under running water since it contains batteries, and results in a short circuit.
- Keep a thermometer exclusively for the baby to prevent bacterial transfer from thermometers used by other family members. Standard digital thermometers can be used for both rectal and oral use.
- Therefore, remember to label them accordingly since you would not want to mix them up!
Thermometer use is easy and safe, but you must choose the correct instrument for the baby. And we’ll tell you how.
[ Read : Mee Mee Forehead Thermometer Review ]
Tips For Buying A Thermometer
Keep in mind the following points when buying a thermometer for your baby:
- Suitable for the baby’s age: The thermometer you purchase should be the one recommended for your baby’s age (1). For instance, temporal artery measurement works only for infants older than three months. If your baby is younger than three months, then you can skip temporal artery thermometer and buy a standard digital thermometer.
- Easy to clean: Some thermometers feature complicated design elements that make them harder to clean. Bacteria may accumulate between grooves of stylish overlays causing a serious hazard to the baby. Therefore, choose thermometers that feature an easy-to-clean design.
- Easy to operate: Choose a thermometer that is easy for you to use as it helps get quick and accurate results without delay.
- Speed of measurement: Different thermometers within a category can have different measurement speeds. Look for the ones that provide optimum results in the least amount of time.
The thermometer is an essential home equipment for parents as it helps them detect the early signs of a fever. Measuring your baby’s temperature periodically is a good parenting practice. Thermometers mentioned on the list help you do this at home and ensure that your baby is happy and healthy.
If you know of more thermometers, then tell us in the comments section below.