Completing 18 years is a special milestone for anyone. There are so many exciting things you can do at 18. For starters, you get to experience the world of grownups. You can keep living an adolescent’s life while enjoying additional privileges. Even though you may not be allowed to do everything an adult does right away, this age will undoubtedly prepare you for what comes next. After you turn 18, your life experiences will mold you into a more mature person to make better decisions for yourself. Keep reading our post to know what exciting things you can do. However, choose your adventures wisely!
Things You Can Do When You Turn 18
Welcome to the world of adults. But what can you do when you turn 18? Here are some of the interesting and important things an 18-year-old is eligible to do.
- Donate blood
- Move out of the family home to be independent
- Join the military service
- Buy a pet for yourself
- Work at a bar
- Pawn your personal belongings
- Work for an additional number of hours
- Apply for a license to drive a truck
- Drive a cab
- Get a job during the school year
- Register as an organ donor
- Sign a contract
- Write your own will
- Avail medical care without a guardian
- Drive all night
- Purchase spray paint
- Buy a meat slicer
- Get voluntarily vaccinated
- Apply to see your original birth certificate (for those who are adopted)
- Run for state office (in certain states only)
- Go to college or sign yourself out of high school
You can follow your passion and pursue a degree in a subject you really love. Carson Teagarden, a fitness YouTuber who turned 18 in 2022, aspires to be a full-time creator. In order to achieve his dream, he says, “I want to learn more about fitness and get a Personal Training degree. Over the years, I have failed and have gotten hurt many times. If I had the knowledge, then I wouldn’t have failed so much in my fitness journey (i).”
- Cast vote
- Open a bank account
- Get a credit card
- Buy or rent a car
- Buy a house
- Sue or get sued
- Lease an apartment
- File a legal suit
- Apply for a change of name
- Invest in the stock market
- Get a loan from a bank
- Open a PayPal account
- Serve as a jury member in federal court
- Sign a check
- Buy medicines
- Seek treatment at the ER by yourself
- Visit a casino and gamble (some tribal casinos only)
- Buy and consume tobacco products
- Get a driver’s license
- Access medical records
- Attend adult classes and workshops
- Start a savings account
- Start looking at colleges
- Start your own business
- Apply as an intern at different companies
- Drop out of college
- Adopt a child
- Apply for a mortgage
- Get a ten-year passport
- Call service providers to upkeep house
- Become a notary public
- File for bankruptcy
- Buy a gun
- Get a pilot’s license
- Study abroad for a semester
- Consent to sex with another adult
- Buy sex toys
- Apply for higher qualifying jobs
- Take up responsibility to keep your personal documents safe
- Choose a new religion
- Donate to a local charity
- Apply for a gym membership
- Ride a horse
- Cut your hair
- Apply for government funding and benefits
- Set up an account for private pension
- Work as a freelancer
- Be a living donor
- Participate in medical research and studies
- Join organizations
- Join a political party
- Get a divorce
- Open a PayPal account
- Get insurance for yourself and your property
Fun Things To Do When You Turn 18
The list of what you can do at 18 is long and diverse. You do not have to restrict your ideas of having fun, as turning 18 opens the doors to several opportunities.
- Buy lottery tickets
- Get a tattoo
- Go skydiving
- Get married
- Book a hotel room
- Get a piercing
- Travel alone
- Work in other countries
- Be a realtor
- Watch R-rated movies
- Buy alcohol or drink responsibly in countries where 18 is the legal drinking age
- Do bungee-jumping
- Go to a concert
- Learn to code
- Buy fireworks
- Visit a club
- Book an Airbnb
- Apply for a license to ride a motorbike above 125 cc
- Start a YouTube channel
- Get yourself a Costco card
- Self-publish your own book
- Use a Lime or Bird ride-sharing scooter
- Book a cruise
- Go to a festival alone
- Take a flight alone
- Try adventure sports
- Participate in automobile races
- Throw a birthday bash
- Travel to a foreign country
- Attend a concert or festival
- Take a road trip
- Visit an amusement park
- Try a new hobby
- Start a bucket list
- Host a movie marathon
- Plan a fancy dinner
- Learn to mix cocktails
- Go to a comedy show
- Go hiking or camping
- Go to a sporting event
- Take a dance class
- Go ice skating or rollerblading
- Play lazer tag or go bowling
- Go to a karaoke bar
- Enter an adults-only store
- Bet on a racehorse
- Stay out all night
- Visit a strip club
- Host a house party
- Get a massage
- Drink internationally
- Link your property to Airbnb and host someone
- Take part in TV quiz shows
- Apply for a fishing license
- Put out your original music online
Points To Remember As A Responsible 18-Year-Old
If you have turned 18, you must be thrilled to enter a new and exciting phase of your life. To enjoy this phase, you have to be a responsible adult and use your newfound freedom in the right way. Here are some points you need to remember as a new adult.
- The first thing to keep in mind is that you are now legally responsible for every action of yours. If you violate a law, you will be liable to be tried as an adult and even land in jail.
- You will now have to pay taxes based on your income, state of residence, and other factors. You will also have to file tax returns every year dutifully.
- If you are a boy, you have to register with the National Selective Service within a month of turning 18. Failing to do so can incur you a fine of $250,000 or five years in prison (1).
- You are fully responsible for any legal document that you sign. If you breach a contract, you can be charged as an adult in a court of law.
- Lastly, you need to update yourself and be aware of different state laws as what is legal in one state can be illegal in another.
Turning 18 is not always a joyful celebration for many. Some teens find it hard to swallow the harsh reality of turning 18 and the responsibilities that come with it. Zaida Ramos, a Portuguese business student, expresses this sentiment beautifully. She says, “On one hand, I am excited about turning 18 because I feel like my life is about to change and more things are about to happen quickly. I will enter college soon and start living a more independent life. On the other hand, this is a milestone I did not want to reach yet. It makes me feel like life until now has passed really quickly. College years will go by in a blink of an eye and then time will fly when I start working in a real job. I am afraid of having trouble achieving all my life aspirations and goals and not having enough time or opportunities to do all I want to do (ii).”
Nevertheless, it is important to remember that life is too short to worry about trivial matters. What you can do is live each day to the fullest and have a positive attitude towards all things in life.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Why is turning 18 so essential?
The 18th birthday is an important milestone as it opens doors to many new responsibilities, privileges, and opportunities. The decisions you make after gaining this freedom play an essential role in determining the course of your life.
2. Why did 18 become the age of adulthood?
The age of 21 as an entry to adulthood was changed to 18 during the Vietnam war. Because 18 was considered a suitable age for men to be drafted into wars, many demanded 18 to be the right age for granting voting rights. Moreover, after the age of 21 was initially set, there were plenty of advancements in public education; therefore, most countries decided on 18 as the age of adulthood.
3. Can my parents control me at 18?
In the eyes of the law, you are an adult the moment you turn 18. Since you are a young adult, you can make your own decisions. However, you are new to this phase and may need your parents’ help in different ways. If they are trying to suggest or restrict you, it is for your good and doesn’t mean they are controlling you.
4. Can I leave home when I’m 18 without my parents’ consent?
A young adult can legally leave home without their parent’s permission. However, it is better if you inform your parents, so they are not worried.
5. Can my parents check my phone at 18?
Ideally, your parents should not check your phone when you are an adult as you seek privacy, and might not be comfortable sharing your stuff with them.
Turning 18 is certainly a moment to commemorate since you are now officially old enough to engage in many activities. From opening a bank account and buying a car to running for state office, the things you can do at 18 seem endless. However, this newfound freedom comes with many responsibilities. For example, you are now completely responsible for any legal document you sign and owe income taxes to the state. Therefore, finding the right balance between freedom and restraint is key to ensuring your first step into adulthood.
Infographic: A Few Words Of Advice For The 18-year-olds
You’re finally 18 and practically an adult. You must have planned a lot of exciting things to do for this day and the years ahead. There may also be new responsibilities your elders have told you about. These mixed emotions can be overwhelming. So here are a few words of comfort and advice to ease the transition.
- Understand what you can do and what you cannot when you are 18.
- Enjoy life yet be responsible and be a good samaritan.
Personal Experience: Sources
i. I’m finally 18 years old;
ii. On turning 18;
1. Benefits & Repercussions; Selective Service System