Are you expecting and feeling increasing strain and discomfort while performing your daily activities? Do you want to follow a correct pregnancy posture to ensure the safety of your baby while carrying out your chores? Well, if you can relate to the above situations reading this post on posture during pregnancy is a must.
Weight woes, loosened ligaments, and a growing baby bump can make performing your daily duties a Herculean task while expecting! Do you know if you do not practice correct postures during pregnancy you may even suffer an injury? If you are clueless and curious, fret not! Simply, go ahead and give this post a read!
Ten Tips For Maintaining The Correct Posture During Pregnancy:
1. Stand Straight:
Hold your head and neck straight. Avoid tilting your head. Keep your knees straight but don’t lock them. You can practice standing upright against a wall and straightening your spine.
[ Read: How Does Standing Affect Pregnant Women ]
2. Drop Your Shoulders Naturally:
Avoid throwing your shoulder blades too far back, as it will only strain your lower back while you are expecting. Allow your shoulders to drop naturally, so that you can stay in a correct and relaxed position.
3. Sit Straight:
Sit on a straight-backed chair. You can place a pillow behind your lower back for support. Place your feet squarely on the ground. Alternatively, you can use a footstool to take the pressure off your back (1). It is the best sitting posture during pregnancy.
4. Pull In Your Abdomen Gently:
Tighten your abdomen, pull it in as much as possible. Avoid tilting your pelvis forward or backward. Avoid standing with a protruding stomach and with a swayed back.
5. Avoid Standing For Long:
Standing for a long time during pregnancy can adversely affect your blood circulation and make your ankles and feet swell. Studies reveal that pregnant females pursuing standing jobs are more likely to deliver small babies. If you need to stand long, rest a foot on a stool for some time and then switch. Do foot exercises to maintain good blood circulation in your calf muscles (2).
[ Read: Why Do Pregnant Women Waddle ]
6. Pull In Your Buttocks:
Pulling in your buttocks during pregnancy helps to correct your pelvic posture. The posture shifts your weight in such a manner that the displaced center of gravity stands corrected. Practice this posture against a wall (3).
7. Avoid Locking Your Knees:
Locking your knees can strain your lower back. So stand on your feet with shoulders wide apart and bend the knees a bit to allow your thighs to support the weight of your body. Also, ensure your weight spreads across your entire foot and does not just strain your heels. Even if you feel awkward in the position, practice the posture in pregnancy since it’s beneficial and safe for you and your baby.
[ Read: Is It Safe To Bend During Pregnancy ]
8. Avoid Crossing Your Legs:
Sitting in crossed-legged position results in poor blood circulation and promotes varicose veins. So avoid sitting in a crossed-legged position.
9. Sleep Right:
After the fourth month of pregnancy, avoid sleeping straight on the back. Sleeping on the left side improves blood circulation to the placenta. Completely avoid sleeping on your stomach as it can cause stress to your uterus and adversely affect the fetus (4).
10 Shift Gradually:
Bend gently when you try to sit after standing for a long time. Make sure you avoid any jerky movement as it can cause strain and injury to your weakened ligaments (5).
Now you know all the golden rules of maintaining a good posture during pregnancy and keeping nasty aches at bay during pregnancy. Why wait? Go ahead and spread the word!
Did you follow any rule to maintain pregnancy postures? How did you benefit from them? Share your experience and tips with other moms-to-be here.
- Top 14 Yoga Asanas That Boost Fertility
- 7 Important Sleeping Positions During The Third Trimester Of Pregnancy
- 2 Ways To Avoid Having An Occiput Posterior Position
- 7 Amazing Yoga Postures For Normal Delivery
Latest posts by Manjiri Kochrekar (see all)
- 32 Lovely Wedding Anniversary Gift Ideas - June 28, 2017
- 10 Clear Signs That You Need Marriage Counselling - April 28, 2017
- 25 Wonderful Peacock Facts And Information For Kids - October 3, 2016
- 6 Most Popular Indian Mythological Stories For Kids - September 15, 2016
- 12 Health Benefits And 10 Facts About Oranges For Kids - June 16, 2016
- 16 Joyous Luau (Hawaiian) Party Ideas For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 35 Lesser-Known Facts About Great White Sharks For Kids - May 31, 2016
- 30 Unknown Sound Wave Facts And Information For Kids - May 31, 2016
- Can Kids Drink Kombucha? - Know Here! - May 27, 2016
- Tea Tree Oil For Kids - 15 Uses And 9 Safety Tips - May 18, 2016