Many parents deal with restless sleep in babies and are curious to find a solution. However, sleep patterns vary from one child to another. Some babies wake up briefly during the night and go back to sleep, while others wake up and cannot soothe themselves to sleep again.
If babies have restless sleep, it may be due to several factors. For example, they may not have started identifying the difference between day and night, they need to feel more secure, they are hungry, or they have not developed a sleep routine. Therefore, to help babies sleep properly, parents need to be patient and observant of their needs.
Read this post to learn some effective tips to ensure restless babies calm down and sleep peacefully.
7 Effective Tips On Making Your Restless Baby Sleep:
Most moms are worried that their baby might lack in good sleep. Don’t forget that sleep comes naturally to babies, once their tummies are full! Thus, the key to good sleep is a well-fed baby.
1. Understand Your Baby’s Cues:
Your baby cannot tell you that he or she is sleepy, but can definitely convey some clear signs of sleepiness.
- If your little one is rubbing his eyes, pulling his ears or has puffy eyes, these are the signals that he is feeling sleepy. It is the perfect time to put him in bed.
- When you delay your baby’s sleep time, he will become all the more restless and may not be able to sleep then.
2. Let The Surroundings Speak:
A baby does not completely understand the difference between day and night, since most of the time he is inside the house.
- Subtly teach him the difference, by taking your newborn baby outside for a few minutes in the day light, possibly a bright corner of your terrace or foyer.
- Always try to create a sleepy atmosphere at night. Reduce the external noise, dim the lights and put him in bed to make him realize that play time is over.
3. Avoid Sudden Change In Routine:
You might realize that a slight change in their surroundings makes your baby restless.
- Babies like to be present in known environment along with known people.
- So always make your child sleep in the same room, on the same bed or cot.
- Babies need to feel secure while sleeping, so if they have any favourite toy or blanket, do let your baby have them.
4. Understand The Wake Up Reasons:
You might get annoyed why your baby wakes up in the middle of the night and starts crying. There are reasons behind this act, which you need to understand.
- Sometimes, they might have wet nappy or they could be even hungry. Make note of such reasons and likewise make necessary changes in their diet.
- Make sure your baby is well-fed before sleep time. Also ensure that the diaper he is wearing at night is good enough to last the entire night.
5. Create A Sleep Routine:
Just like when you bring his feeding bottle your baby understands that it is time to eat, similarly you need to create sleep associations (3).
- Make a routine of giving a warm bath to your baby before sleep time.
- If you sing a lullaby then do it every day or may be record your piece of music and play it before sleep. Such a routine will make your baby fall into sleep easily.
6. A Peaceful Day:
If your baby is cranky and restless during the day time, his nights are not going to be any different. You can help by making his day time mellow and calm.
- You can keep the home atmosphere tranquil and spend more time with him to make his day easygoing.
- Similarly, if your baby had a restless night, his days could be challenging.
- So be prepared when you know that next day your baby might be cranky.
7. Take Your Partner’s Support:
It is difficult to manage your baby single-handedly during the day as well as at night. It is a responsibility which you and your partner should share equally.
- Typically, the mother or the nanny is primary caregiver during the day. Ideally, you should get your partner to share responsibilities during nighttime.
- When both parents are working, it is best to have an early discussion and delegate childcare responsibilities by mutual understanding.
Restless sleep in babies could be due to several underlying factors. Therefore, to prompt a good sleeping routine in your baby, you must be able to identify the cause. Then, take the necessary steps based on the cause. Check if your baby is feeling full by the time they go to bed. Alternatively, try to create a soothing sleep environment and abide by a sleeping schedule for your baby. If their restless sleep still worries you, consult your child’s pediatrician.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Which syrup is best for restless baby sleep?
It is suggested that you must refrain from using any sleep medication to deal with your baby’s sleep issues. Moreover, if you feel your baby could be suffering from a medical problem such as reflux, you should contact a pediatrician to understand appropriate treatment interventions (1).
2. How should I massage my restless baby to sleep?
Try gently massaging your baby’s legs and back; it could help relieve any gas and soothes them. You may also try playing soft music while giving them a massage (2).
3. Do babies like sleeping in the dark?
- Sleep in Infants (2-12 Months).
- Fussy Babies.
- Baby sleep patterns by age.