Let’s start with the good news. The not-so-pretty changes you see in your skin and hair post pregnancy are mostly temporary and will get back to normal on its own, in due course of time.Skin care after pregnancy often takes a back seat as your little one becomes your center of attention.
Hair and skin go through a lot of changes during and post pregnancy. Some women experience acne, pigmentation, stretch marks, puff eyes, dark circles and hair loss, while others have the pregnancy glow which stays with them throughout.
Once your baby arrives, you will be running short of time on most days with barely any time left for yourself. But try taking out 10 minutes of your time to keep your skin and hair looking great. Here is our little beauty guide for post pregnancy skin care!
Changes You See In Your Hair And Skin What They Mean:
While you are pregnant, you will be seeing a lot of change in your skin and hair. Here is what is actually happening:
Here’s what your hair is going through:
1. Hair Loss:
This is one of the most common problems that will haunt you from around the 3rd to 4th month post-delivery.
- During pregnancy, the hair is in the growing stage and the falling stage is slowed down.
- Thanks to the rise in hormone levels during pregnancy, you would have had luscious luxurious hair.
- Post-delivery, the hormone levels come back to normal and the normal hair cycle is resumed.
- Therefore, you will go through a phase of shedding a lot of hair, which may seem unusual, but is completely normal. Don’t worry, you are not going bald!
- This hair loss is temporary and you will see your hair texture coming back to normal 6 to 12 months post-delivery.
Here’s what your skin is going through and how you can best manage it. Skincare after pregnancy requires a little more attention:
During pregnancy high progesterone levels can cause skin to become excessively oily, thus resulting in acne breakouts. Post pregnancy, due to changes in hormone levels, you may break out in acne, even if your skin was clear throughout your pregnancy.
Pigmentation or melasma is the dark patch or spots on your skin. These are caused due to high levels of estrogen and progesterone during pregnancy. Dark patches on your body or the line that runs below your belly will fade away on its own post-delivery.
3. Dark Circles And Puffy Eyes:
These are caused due to changes in hormone levels and the lack of sleep after a having a baby. Your eyes tend to show the tiredness your body experiences in the form of puffed up eyes or dark circles.
[ Read: Skin Issues After Pregnancy ]
4. Stretch Marks:
Stretch marks tend to be one of the most stubborn ones to get rid of. As the name goes, it is caused due to the stretching of the skin. Due to the sudden contraction of the skin post birth, the skin develops small tears, causing it to get cringed in certain areas. These are usually found in the breast, stomach, buttocks, thighs, and behind the knee areas.
[ Read: Beauty Tips After Pregnancy ]
How To Reduce Hair And Skin Problems?
Here are some effective ways for skin care after delivery:
So how can you keep the hair loss under control? Following these 6 simple tips will ensure you keep that hair loss in control:
1. Eat healthy:
- Ensure your diet is rich in foods that contain antioxidants
- Some good foods for the same are strawberry, apples, rajma, prunes, etc.
- The antioxidants help strengthen the roots.
2. Keep Your Scalp And Hair Clean:
- Wash your scalp with a gentle anti-hair loss shampoo.
- Condition your hair to avoid breakage.
- If you are short of time, apply a leave-in conditioner.
3. Avoid Pulling And Tying Hair:
- Refrain from keeping your hair tied up tightly as this will strain your scalp and hair.
- Doing so will make your hair fall out easily.
4. Vitamin Supplements:
- Your post pregnancy body will need some supplements to help you get back your strength.
- Ensure you take your vitamins like Vitamin B and C regularly to maintain fuller hair.
5. Chemical Treatments:
- Avoid coloring, straightening and perming your hair, as this may lead to hair loss.
- Also, these treatments are high maintenance, so unless you really have to get one of these done for a special occasion, its best to stay away from them for a while.
[ Read: Hair Color During Pregnancy ]
6. Get A Great Short Haircut:
- If you are losing a lot of hair, go for a haircut and keep it short.
- Your hair will tend to look fuller and the new look will keep your spirits high!
To keep your baby-glow intact, here are some tips to reduce skin problems both during and after pregnancy:
1. For Acne:
- Make sure you cleanse your face with a mild cleanser twice a day.
- Apply a lightweight, oil-free moisturizer in the morning and night.
- You can use a mild scrub with small soft granules once a week.
- Use products with mild or natural ingredients like aloe Vera and eucalyptus.
2. For Pigmentation:
- The spots on your face will also lighten and will most likely disappear after one-year post birth.
- To ensure you don’t aggravate the pigmentation or get new spots, ensure you use a sunscreen daily, even if you tend to stay indoors.
- If you stay indoors during the day, use a sunscreen with SPF 15.
- If you tend to step out for more than 10 minutes, use SPF 30 or SPF 50 and cover your skin as much as possible.
- As a daily moisturizer, use one that is specifically made for pigmented skin.
3. For Dark Circles And Puffy Eyes:
- Ensure you drink at least 8 glasses of water and have a healthy diet.
- Sleep when the baby sleeps, though it may feel odd to sleep for short naps multiple times a day, this is the best way to get some good sleep and rest.
- Apply a reputed brand eye cream targeted specifically for dark circles and puffy eyes.
4. For Stretch Marks:
- The key is to avoid getting stretch marks in the first place, so as soon as you know you’re pregnant, start using a moisturizer rich in olive oil or an anti-stretch mark cream in the problem areas to focus on your belly and breasts.
- You can also massage your belly and breasts with olive oil regularly to keep them moisturized and avoid getting stretch marks.
- Post birth, if you have developed stretch marks use a reputable anti-stretch mark cream on the affected areas.
- One of the key measures for reducing stretch marks is a healthy diet and exercise.
- Post checking with your doctor, you can start with some form of exercise like brisk walking, light exercises or yoga to help you reduce the stretch marks.
5 Quick Steps To Look Like The Super Mom You Are:
Even if you have a great skin post birth, it’s best to take care of your skin on a regular basis to avoid looking fatigued. Skin care after delivery is important.Follow this 5 step quick daily regime for your skin and hair to continue looking like a Supermom:
1. Cleanse: Use a mild cleanser twice a day, to keep your skin feeling clean and fresh.
2. Moisturize: Apply a lightweight moisturizer twice a day, to keep your skin hydrated and supple. Use a separate eye cream for dark circles or puffy eyes.
3. Protect: Shield your skin from the sun by using a sunscreen. It also helps to keep acne and pigmentation away.
4. Exfoliate: Once a week, use a mild scrub with soft granules to remove the dead cells from your skin. It helps to lighten dark spots and reduce acne as well.
5. Hair Care: Wash your hair twice or thrice a week with an anti-hair loss shampoo and don’t forget to condition.
Visit and share your concerns with your doctor if any skin or hair issue is bothering you. You may need medical help if the problem is severe.
The key to healthy skin and hair post pregnancy is to stay calm, happy and stress-free! Enjoy your time as a mother and let your body recover naturally.
Don’t forget to share your stories with us mommies.
- 9 Effective Belly Skin Tightening Tips Post Pregnancy
- 8 Effective Ways To Take Care Of Your Skin Post-Delivery
- 7 Useful Tips To Reduce Skin Darkening During Pregnancy
- The Only Customized Hair Growth Solution In India
- Doctor Approved Ayurvedic Regimen For Thick Hair Growth
- India’s Only Customized Ayurvedic Hair Care Regimen
Latest posts by Trupti Gupte Ram (see all)
- Top 10 Tips For A Great Maternity Photo Shoot - August 20, 2014
- Top 10 Tips To Take Care Of Your Skin And Hair Post Pregnancy - August 12, 2014
- 4 Best Online Free Baby Photo & Video Journals You Can Use - July 22, 2014
- 6 Best Sebamed Baby Products For Your Little Ones - July 11, 2014
- When Do Babies Get Their First Teeth - Everything You Need To Know - July 8, 2014
- 10 Simple Ways To Soothe Your Crying Baby - July 4, 2014
- 4 Useful Tips To Choose The Right Stroller For Your Baby - June 13, 2014
- 12 Ways To Prepare Your Toddler For The New Baby - May 22, 2014
- 5 Ways To Ensure Your Kid Doesn’t Bully Other Kids - May 20, 2014
- 10 Things I Wish I Knew Before Becoming A Mother - May 8, 2014